• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One To Support Mods? 'It's Up To Developers' Says Major Nelson

Following news that any Xbox One can be used as a dev kit, it was asked on Reddit if this means the console would support mods.

"It's up to developers to support that," answered Microsoft's Major Nelson. "These are two very different things."
Xbox and Xbox 360 didn't allow for mods but the recent Xbox One policy changes are positioning the new console to be the most open console Microsoft has made to date.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/201800...s_its_up_to_developers_says_major_nelson.html

Now I'm imagining Halo 5 with mods... The community alread creates amazing things with the small limited toy box they're giving.

Oh gosh, so good. Give it to me 343! Mod support on Xbox One means the system got 100 times better, and MIcrosoft doesn't have too do a single thing.

So now suddenly the company that charged 40k for patches so that developers don't release broken games is going to facilitate the modification of games that need to be certified before they even release on the console?

Yeah, right. As with all Ms pr, there is more to this story.

Gamerloid

I guess the game most likely to allow mods would be The Witcher 3 at some point. Cool they allow the devs to decide, but I'd be better if Mircosoft themselves was enthusiastic about it by having some of their games have it. Dead Rising 3 with mods equals so much potential.

Can't see this being supported too much right now.

So now suddenly the company that charges 40k for patches so that developers don't release broken games is going to facilitate the modification of games that need to be certified before they even release on the console?

They no longer charge for patches.

So now suddenly the company that charges 40k for patches so that developers don't release broken games is going to facilitate the modification of games that need to be certified before they even release on the console?

It's not charges, it's charged.

Microsoft quietly removed their charging for a patch policy earlier this year, hell we only found out because a dev said so.

Looks like Microsoft is changing their stance on a lot of things lately (or had these changes in mind, who knows, who really cares). No more charges for a patch, making their certification process more stream lined and faster, allowing self publishing, making every xbox one a dev kit, etc. I can see them allowing mods.

It's not charges, it's charged.

Microsoft quietly removed their charging for a patch policy earlier this year, hell we only found out because a dev said so.

Looks like Microsoft is changing their stance on a lot of things lately (or had these changes in mind, who knows, who really cares). No more charges for a patch, making their certification process more stream lined and faster, allowing self publishing, making every xbox one a dev kit, etc. I can see them allowing mods.

That meant to say charged. I am typing on my phone.

I can't see them allowing mods in a traditional sense. You aren't going to see full conversions or anything else that might break the game or demand more performance from the hardware.

Yeah, I know.
I totally had the PS3 story (Unreal) in my head :/

It's a shame Sony didn't capitalise on mods for more games, could have really made all the difference and they would have had a significant head start in mod support going into the next generation.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Don't see it happening, Sony was fine with it, doesn't mean developers started doing it for their games. I also don't trust a word that comes out of major nelsons mouth these days.

They no longer charge for patches.

Try no longer charge for 360 patches, they haven't said anything on the Xbox One as far as I am aware.

kitch9

Banned
LOL, they've gone from wrapping their console up tighter than a ducks arse to letting everyone do what the fuck they like,

Copenap

Guys, that's absolutely no news really. All he's saying is MS and Xbone won't have an infrastructure in place to support mods natively just like the 360 but if publishers want to incorporate this e.g. via dlc they obviously could (but won't).

Bundy

Banned
It's a shame Sony didn't capitalise on mods for more games, could have really made all the difference and they would have had a significant head start in mod support going into the next generation.

Well, implementing mods costs time + resources (hardware).
And you need a second hardware/system (PC) to create mods for the console version.
I can see why publishers doesn't care about mods (on consoles).

Maybe they will implement some kind of an "level creator" like Sucker Punch did for inFamous 2.

While it would be nice, I can't see it happening. Microsoft is pretty vigilant when it comes to making sure people's achievements are legit, and mods would make earning them cheap. People would just enable "god mode" in every game. And competitive would have all kinds of cheaters using all sorts of hacks.

And mods ****ed up both Borderlands.

Mods can be used on the 360 if you know how to do it, especially bethesda games. But of course this is not official so to speak.

fallagin

Im pretty sure he doesn't mean actual pc style mods. Think something more like little big planet.

Of course that's of they're allowed at all.

miso_Jeff

Banned
Are you crazy? If sony said this the same thing would happen.

The thing is this has been a feature that the PS3 has had, as previously stated by others in this thread. Major Nelson gets asked a question and he replies "No, we won't restrict that" and all these people are "Wooo, another great feature" "MS making all the right moves" "I hope Sony does this"

For me there's nothing that these 2 companies announced that they shouldn't have announced, these things should have been STANDARD! Allowing indies to self publish, that's not a new feature, that's a reversal of a shitty policy. Allowing me to trade in a physical copy of a game I purchased, is not a new policy it's the norm. Allowing people with the time and talent to add mods to a game is not a new policy, PC's have been doing it for years.

Rat Salad

Banned
Nice move Microsoft. Let's see how it plays out. Lots of positive moves lately. I guess theyre in the same boat Sony was shortly after the PS3 launched,aka in trouble. Difference is instead of loosing billions like Sony did theyre quick to learn before its too late. Sometimes you gotta fall on your ass hard before you see things more clearly. This time it's Microsoft's turn to get off their ass before the 10 count. Least theyre moving quickly to fix things.

This is the new answer to everything: it's up to the developers.
Will the cloud enchance graphics? It's up to the developers
Will games sale at a higher price? It's up to the developers
Etc, etc, etc...

Nice move Microsoft. Let's see how it plays out. Lots of positive moves lately. I guess theyre in the same boat Sony was shortly after the PS3 launched,aka in trouble. Difference is instead of loosing billions like Sony did theyre quick to learn before its too late. Sometimes you gotta fall on your ass hard before you see things more clearly. This time it's Microsoft's turn to get off their ass before the 10 count. Least theyre moving quickly to fix things.

Even if Sony was 'quick-to-learn' during the PS3 launch days, they were going to lose billions anyway.

Investment into Cell technology and factory fabrication. The initial overhead cost for their 1st-party studios and wasted man-hours to develop for Cell. The cost of Blu-Ray drive in their system.

They were losing a lot of money, even at $599, no 2 ways around that.

Facism

That doesn't make sense. If they've changed it for 360, they'll keep it in place for the One.

Do you have sources about patches for xbone being free for developers? I can understand why they dropped patch fees for 360 seeing as we're at the end of the current generation.

All i'm finding are sources that explicitely state developer fees are dropped for "XBOX LIVE ARCADE" games on the 360. So not even full retail releases.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/06/28/microsoft-drops-developer-patch-fees-on-xbox-360/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rges-developers-to-patch-their-xbox-360-games

I can see them carry this policy of free patches for indies and on the xbone, but nothing else.

antic604

Banned
As I understand, the idea of 'modding' it means allowing for user to replace / add any files in game directory with their own alterations. So the questions are:

- how can that be done on XOne - will there be any mechanism allowing to download files from the internet / USB and place them in appropriate folders?

- are there even folders in XOne file system? AFAIK, 360 used 'one big file' per game?

- will XOne check against viruses / malware?

All above makes me doubt it's going to be true modding - instead probably something like LBP for PS3, where you can download skins and full levels, to 'customise' your game. Giving complete freedom to the end-user would be against the idea of gaming console and I don't expect this to be offered by PS4 either.

raphanum

Yeah probably. Just sick of entering any thread where there's the slightest hint of MS doing anything positive and get hit by a negative tidal wave.

Mate, I see this in all threads of any kind on GAF. Sony/MS/Nintendo, there will always be a minority of those that want to take a giant, steaming turd on a thread. Just need to filter it out.

Top Bottom