• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 retail download codes possibly eligible after all for W101 promotion

Shahadan

*Update 2* Oh hey maybe they will ! Don't ask us about the banner we put up on the 26th though, it doesn't make sense now. DDP points should be fixed within a week.

*Update 1* Nintendo tells us only copies bought directly on the eShop are elligible, and retail codes (even bought now) won't be.

If you don't know, some of us in Europe were able to buy a downloadable code for Pikmin 3 from Game.uk a few days before the release date.
Since then those who asked directly to customer services were told they wouldn't be allowed to use the -30% deal on W101 since it was donwloaded before July 26th.

What's worse is we didn't get the points from the Premium Discount campaign for the same reason, even though a specific date is never mentionned anywhere for that, and the website even mention downloadable codes being elligible for points.

This is bullshit.

So if you're in this situation, it's time to harass customer services hoping for a fix.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is what you got for breaking street date. You should thank Nintendo that they didn't ban you.

Soulflarz

Banned
This is what you got for breaking street date. You should thank Nintendo that they didn't ban you.
I think nintendo should take it up for those who leaked it early, not those who took advantage

Edit: but yeah all things considered...yeah...im surprised thats it from nintendo...

Omikaru

You redeemed an illegitimate copy of a game provided by Nintendo that you paid money for through one of their authorised distributors.

Basically, you were totes asking for it. :3

We have NoA... we don't even get good deals.

:jnc

I thought they did mention the date, didn't they?

Pikmin fans with an eye on more Wii U games releasing this winter may take note of a special offer. Those who download Pikmin 3 from Nintendo eShop between 27th July and 21st September will be able to buy The Wonderful 101 for 30% off on Nintendo eShop once it is released. This is an exclusive offer on Nintendo eShop and lasts only until 21st September.

Still seems shitty though.

Soulflarz

Banned
Nintendo isn't the only company that punishes for receiving a game early. It's not uncommon.
Lets all be happy this isnt the halo 4 incident of "this is a review copy but some idiot didnt put me on the -dont ban for playing- list even though im legit" because they banned for putting the disc in pre release

Edit: ^wait 1) i didnt break street date. I never have.
2) did you just say you should go to jail for breaking street date? I understand a ban or something. But jail...? Errr

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This is karma for slaughtering all those pikmins, Shahadan. ;)

But seriously, this is ridiculous, hope they come to their senses. It's Game's fault if any's.

Shahadan

Just buy Wonderful 101 second hand. That'll learn 'em!

I'll still buy it from game.uk digitally and pay the same price for both in the end, I don't really care. That said, I should get my premium points, no date shit there.

And wow at you people thinking it's normal. I guess I should have known.

If you don't know, some of us in Europe were able to buy a downloadable code for Pikmin 3 from Game.uk a few days before the release date.
Since then those who asked directly to customer services were told they wouldn't be allowed to use the -30% deal on W101 since it was donwloaded before July 26th.

We don't know this for sure till Wonderful 101 is actually available on eshop - if it's like the previous discount promo's (like the Kirby or Kid Icarus/Metroid VC offers) - the eshop merely checks you already have the item purchased and then unlocks the discount if it sees the title in your purchase history. Or at least I presume this is the case, Nintendo's customer service is likely looking at the official dates for the promo and going off that right now.

What's worse is we didn't get the points from the Premium Discount campaign for the same reason, even though a specific date is never mentionned anywhere for that, and the website even mention downloadable codes being elligible for points.

This is bullshit.

So if you're in this situation, it's time to harass customer services hoping for a fix.

I'm chalking this one down to the fact it's the weekend and we might not see our premium points till Monday. Reviewers who had downloaded Wii U titles prior to launch got premium points for their review copies, I should certainly hope we get the same for Pikmin 3. But I will be contacting Customer service come Tuesday if I don't see those points show up in the next few days,.

Shahadan

Also they had no problem crediting Club Nintendo accounts for shitty useless stars, so I guess they don't really consider my copy "illegitimate " (on top of allowing me to download it of course, but apparently that doesn't seem important to you)

Kouriozan

Yeah, that's silly to let their customer download the game early but won't let them take advantage of the DDP or even other promotion.
Why didn't they block the download until the release date?

Shahadan

We don't know this for sure till Wonderful 101 is actually available on eshop - if it's like the previous discount promo's (like the Kirby or Kid Icarus/Metroid VC offers) - the eshop merely checks you already have the item purchased and then unlocks the discount if it sees the title in your purchase history. Or at least I presume this is the case, Nintendo's customer service is likely looking at the official dates for the promo and going off that right now.

I'm chalking this one down to the fact it's the weekend and we might not see our premium points till Monday. Reviewers who had downloaded Wii U titles prior to launch got premium points for their review copies, I should certainly hope we get the same for Pikmin 3. But I will be contacting Customer service come Tuesday if I don't see those points show up in the next few days,.

One or two gaffers were told direclty by nintendo they were inelligible for the -30%
And those who downloaded Pikmin on the 26th already have their premium points credited.

G.O.O.

Cheating the system ? Bullshit. If they don't want people to play the game before the release date, they shouldn't allow it to be downloaded from their servers.

I'm seriously pissed, that promotion was the only reason I bought the terrible, system-locked digital version of their game.

baphomet

Yeah, that's silly to let their customer download the game early but won't let them take advantage of the DDP or even other promotion.
Why didn't they block the download until the release date?

Because there are some people who are supposed to be able to get on and download games before the street date. People purchasing from a retailer are not one of them.

Kurtofan

Can we have the full text of the discount? I'm guessing the date is mentioned there, saying it starts July 26th or whatever.It sucks if so but it's the way it is.

While I understand the street date issue, it seems to me that it would be better to penalize the retail store than the customer. I'm betting there are quite a few that have no idea of what a street date even is.

Xanonano

Because there are some people who are supposed to be able to get on and download games before the street date. People purchasing from a retailer are not one of them.
Wouldn't it be amazing if there was some way to tell which people are eligible, and let them download it early, while making everyone else wait? Rather than just punishing people who shouldn't have been able to.

Pikmin fans with an eye on more Wii U games releasing this winter may take note of a special offer. Those who download Pikmin 3 from Nintendo eShop between 27th July and 21st September will be able to buy The Wonderful 101 for 30% off on Nintendo eShop once it is released. This is an exclusive offer on Nintendo eShop and lasts only until 21st September.

So people downloaded the game prior to July 27th and are complaining that it didn't qualify for a promotion that specifically said between July 27th and September 21st?

I don't see why people are complaining. Unless you didn't read it prior to downloading it.

zroid

Banned
complain the hell out of it

Nintendo definitely shouldn't get away with this, it's not fair at all

Although with that said, I still believe you will be eligible for the discount on TW101. I think they are bullshitting on that one; it's probably just going to see if you own the digital copy of Pikmin 3 or not and then offer the discount on TW101 during the promotional period.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
zcwzFJc.jpg

OP fucked up

baphomet

Wouldn't it be amazing if there was some way to tell which people are eligible, and let them download it early, while making everyone else wait? Rather than just punishing people who shouldn't have been able to.

Punishing? The deal gives the exact dates on it. He found a way to get a code and download the game before the promotion started. What did he honestly expect?

rockx4

zcwzFJc.jpg

OP fucked up

Yep, should have followed the promotional dates. It sucks, but this is exactly the same as someone complaining that they couldn't redeem an expired promotion.

I was going to suggest buying a W101 download code from GAME. I mean if it is £50 on the eShop chances are the code will be £35 on GAME which is...30% off.

And this, just buy the physical release of W101 if there's already a discount.

Shahadan

So people downloaded the game prior to July 27th and are complaining that it didn't qualify for a promotion that specifically said between July 27th and September 21st?

I don't see why people are complaining. Unless you didn't read it prior to downloading it.

It could be argue people could legitimately understand they put July 26th because it was the release date, but yeah I agree. And I saw one or two people on miiverse saying they impulse bought it without knowing the release date and got screwed.

But as I said, I could "agree" on that front, and personally I kinda knew they would do this and I don't care. Premium points should definitely be credited though.

jerd

:jnc

I thought they did mention the date, didn't they?

Still seems shitty though.

So if it is explicitly stated that it must be purchased after the 27th, aren't you basically complaining about not getting a deal that you never qualified for?

Promotion says it begins July 26, you redeemed your code before, you don't get the W101 promotion.

I do agree that you should get your premium points.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't see how this is the consumers fault at all. Product is made available for purchase, consumer buys product. Not everyone knows the street date for every product, I don't feel that is the consumers responsibility and it is up to the retailer and publisher to regulate that. Nintendo is in no position to piss off customers at the moment so I hope they make this right.

wrowa

The customers didn't break the street date, the retailer did. It's not the customers responsibility to know when a game is allowed to be sold. Expecting the customer to take the responsibility is absurd.

Top Bottom