• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes Vs. Women Damsels Part 3: Yes, she's back -or- OH GOD, SHE'S BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkpower

Banned
https://www.facebook.com/femfreq

My 3rd and final video covering the Damsel in Distress trope in video games will be released early next week. This episode tackles the Dude in Distress role reversal and "ironic-sexism" in indie games.

552597_10151740801446355_1551530684_n.jpg

And watch NeoGAF blow over about it within seconds!

Personally, I didn't want to create a thread about this since I think she's old news by this point and I think part 2 jumped the shark with the confirmation bias and "let me throw so many examples at people that no one will EVER try to catch me in the act of confirmation bias" being so transparent. But I know someone will if not me (and some big name gaming site other than GAF will promote her somehow positively), and I'm the type of person that likes to throw gasoline onto a burning fire, so here you go.

Let the debate begin! I assume it'll come out sometime this week since the announcement was LAST week.

bon

Are there any spoilers in this one? I skipped the second video because it was apparently spoilertown.

EDIT: oh. it's not out yet. nevermind

Razlo

The incorrect & biased way games are covered prevents me from appreciating her main point. I wish someone more honest & learned on games was doing this series, but we got what we got.

The first video was fine. Really basic, but fine.

The second video had straight up misinformation in it and wasn't very good at all if you ask me.

Hopefully the third doesn't follow with the way the second video turned out.

Gattsu25

Banned
The incorrect & biased way games are covered prevents me from appreciating her main point. I wish someone more honest & learned on games was doing this series, but we got what we got.

I disagree with your ending statement and this prevents me from giving your broader point any credence.

We all know the expression should be "It is what it is".

Ugh.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh joy, I can't wait for the final massive GAF thread full of people slinging mud at each other in an endless debate.

I'll watch the final one for the closure I guess, her videos have really done nothing for me that I already know (and in some cases missed the mark). The Bayonetta thing was such a disaster, especially since she didn't even point out the shots at religious influence over women, which were pretty blatant to anyone who watched the cutscenes.

I read somewhere that she stole footage from other Youtubers / perhaps did not even play the games being criticized.

Edit: http://victorsopinion.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/anitas-sources.html
Not to cover the 23908502835 pages of previous threads, but her initial Bayonetta review made it absolutely certain that she didn't even bother to read a wikipedia page, much less play the game to see it in context or even research it at all.

In her defense though, her last video covered an unplayable 300 hours worth of games. It's no excuse for to ignorantly include satirical or subverted examples in her critique.

Alucrid

Banned
I'll watch. We only get three a year, best to make the most out of them.

Oh joy, I can't wait for the final massive GAF thread full of people slinging mud at each other in an endless debate.

I'll watch the final one for the closure I guess, her videos have really done nothing for me that I already know (and in some cases missed the mark)

See you in 2016.

Razlo

I disagree with your ending statement and this prevents me from giving your broader point any credence.

We all know the expression should be "It is what it is".

Ugh.

I think you misunderstood my point, which was likely due to the way I wrote it.

Re-summary: I agree with her point & dislike her videos

ezekial45

Banned
I do appreciate what she's trying to do, even if she doesn't do it that well by getting some information wrong. At the very least, it's an important discussion to have.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
She sure takes ages to put out incredibly simplistic, sub-undergraduate level analysis. But I guess $159,000 only goes so far.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
these are taking forever to come out

in any case, can't wait for another thread full of the same dumb posts we got in the last three threads

bon

Not to cover the 23908502835 pages of previous threads, but her initial Bayonetta review made it absolutely certain that she didn't even bother to read a wikipedia page, much less play the game to see it in context or even research it at all.

In her defense though, her last video covered an unplayable 300 hours worth of games. It's no excuse for to ignorantly include satirical or subverted examples in her critique.

She's had a year though and this has basically been her 'job'. I expect there to be a lot of overlap of multiple tropes in the one game too, making them worth playing.

Arguments about the accuracy / veracity of her work aside, she could have at least recorded her own footage rather than pinching other people's. That's damn unprofessional and a bit shit.

Edit: Didn't see the latest update on the article - yeah, she could at least credit.

Alucrid

Banned
wheres the video?

next week.

She's had a year though and this has basically been her 'job'. I expect there to be a lot of overlap of multiple tropes in the one game too.

Arguments about the accuracy / veracity of her work aside, she could have at least recorded her own footage rather than pinching other people's. That's damn unprofessional and a bit shit.

at the very least credits and if she wanted to be professional permission

Good news! The second episode wasn't as interesting as the first but the topic this time sounds like a fun one. Final Cut though? Gross.

Alucrid

Banned
You just know this thread will last until 2016, then it's time to start the new one! Who knows, maybe she'll actually credit people's work by then.

nah, these threads get locked a few weeks after the video is posted and the arguments have been repeated ten times over

Vibranium

Banned
nah, these threads get locked a few weeks after the video is posted and the arguments have been repeated ten times over

I was being sarcastic but yeah you're right. It'd be hilarious if the mods kept it open and moved it to Community Discussion though.

Almost everyone uses Final Cut, even after the mass migration when FCPX released.

Well, no, it was only ever about half the market at the heights of FCP7 and hasn't even dipped that much despite the outcry. FCX has been improving a lot since release. My post was a dumb jab at the ol' "look its in editing software it must be close" thing

Alucrid

Banned
I think the thing that bugs me most is the fact that she continues to wear the same outfit in each episode.

Still find it odd that all that Kickstarter money was needed for her to make three YouTube videos in which she talks to the camera and the hardest part of editing is keying out the background.

GetemMa

I don't care anymore.

This post is me maximized on caring about this topic.

Gaming is sexist. Some gamers are hostile to women (so are some football fans).

I agree. I am not responsible for everyone who plays or makes games. I call out assholes and that's the best I can do.

Not watching it.

Jathaine

Still find it odd that all that Kickstarter money was needed for her to make three YouTube videos in which she talks to the camera and the hardest part of editing is keying out the background.

If you think that wasn't about her lining her own pockets, you have a lot to learn about feminism.

Nickoten

Neo Member
Almost everyone uses Final Cut, even after the mass migration when FCPX released.

Depends on the industry. For film and TV I believe Avid is more widely used. But of course the point still stands that a ton of people use Final Cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom