• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Wii U Youtube app just straight up broken for anyone else?

Tiktaalik

Out of curiosity I just tried to launch the Wii U Youtube app and after three attempts I can't load it. It just times out loading endlessly on the white loading screen. On the 2nd attempt I mashed buttons and it locked my Wii U.

I knew that Nintendo's system software was garbage, but this is a whole new level of incompetence.

NewGame

Banned
Close the youtube app. Open the browser app. Go to youtube.

ENJOY!

Edit: Yes btw the youtube app is garbage, but then again what youtube app isn't garbage these days?

Out of curiosity I just tried to launch the Wii U Youtube app and after three attempts I can't load it. It just times out loading endlessly on the white loading screen. On the 2nd attempt I mashed buttons and it locked my Wii U.

I knew that Nintendo's system software was garbage, but this is a whole new level of incompetence.

My friends did the same thing. Used the browser. Got shitty video quality because of it. Oh well.

My Wii U is my main way to watch YouTube videos, and I think I only launched the app once. I'll check when I get home to see if the app works though.

My friends did the same thing. Used the browser. Got shitty video quality because of it. Oh well.
You have to click the gear and change the resolution to 1080p.

VanWinkle

ENJOY!

Edit: Yes btw the youtube app is garbage, but then again what youtube app isn't garbage these days?

True, except for mobile apps. The Android and Vita Youtube apps are fantastic. The console Youtube apps are terrible.

Dang0

You just need to select a higher resolution. Youtube app uses the highest available resolution, while the web page doesn't.

edit: beaten, again and again.

Works for me, but with very choppy video. Which is funny because it looks almost identical to the PS3 app which is silky smooth for me. I'm hoping an update can fix it.

fred

Have never used it. I always use the browser instead, ad-free YouTube videos ftw!!! I wonder how much that cost Nintendo to arrange..? And whether Sony and Microsoft are going to do the same thing..?

The app is a hot mess, it's even worse than pre-Spring update Hulu App (at least in Japan, Hulu was practically unuseable at one point). It's unusable in its current form, luckily the browser is more than capable.

BD1

Banned

Why is it Nintendo's fault that YouTube makes shitty apps?

Like others have said, Youtube direct from the browser is pretty great. Trash the app.

NewGame

Banned
I think the fault is not the apps per-se. I think that youtubes layout and formatting issues simply update and outdate the app's structure before it can adapt. I'm sure all youtube apps worked at some point.

It's the same app as the PS3 one, more or less, if that means anything to you.

PhantomR

Banned

Nintendo develops YouTube? That's news to me.

My YT app works fine. No problems.

fred

I just went to try the app on my Wii U but I forgot that I deleted it months ago.

Shhh!!!! I don't want youtube to realize that :)

I'm pretty sure they must have done some sort of deal to make that happen lol

I use the Wii U browser more than my PC browser or smartphone browser for YouTube because of it.

cacildo

ENJOY!

Youtube App is terrible. Youtube on the browser is almost perfect.

Tenki

Iwata needs to step down and commit sudoku for this. Unacceptable.

stuminus3

My YT app works fine, but it's still much better to just go to youtube.com. The Wii U browser is amazing (oddly, considering the console OS stinks).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
All YT-apps are garbage, so I'm not sure if *this* particular issue is due to the system's "incompetence". The browser on the Wii U on the other hand works great for Youtube.

Somnid

Youtube needs to just dump all their apps. All terrible. We have web browsers and Youtube is typically test case 1. Also dump flash, why the hell do they still use that?

Honestly, the only thing that bugs me about the WiiU browser is that somehow playlists don't work. If they fix that it's pretty damn near perfect. Having videos or live streams go on the TV while browsing GAF on the Pad. Probably one of the very best things on the WiiU, even better since it doesn't require the game to be shut off, but only suspended.

zroid

Banned
I still remember the meltdowns when the youtube app launched and suddenly youtube (temporarily) stopped working in the web browser :lol

Oersted

Nintendo develops Youtube apps. News for everyone except you?

ENJOY!

Yep.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless I'm missing something you've no reason to use the YouTube app at all when the browser does the same thing more reliably. It's pretty rubbish.

My Wii U is my main way to watch YouTube videos, and I think I only launched the app once. I'll check when I get home to see if the app works though.

You have to click the gear and change the resolution to 1080p.

- Hide video panel
- Change quality on the player
- Profit

You just need to select a higher resolution. Youtube app uses the highest available resolution, while the web page doesn't.

edit: beaten, again and again.

Can't believe I forgot about that. -__-

Derp.

Weilthain

Banned
I dont like the youtube app. Using youtube in the browser is the way to go as you can open other tabs while your video is playing on the big screen, its pretty cool.

Madouu

Putting videos on the TV while browsing on the pad is the way to go. Anyone not using the browser for youtube is doing it wrong!

Top Bottom