• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off - Splinter Cell: Blacklist on Wii U / 360 / PS3

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-splinter-cell-blacklist-face-off

More at the link.

Interestingly, the Wii U version puts its best foot first by producing a full 1280x720 internal framebuffer, backed up by 2x multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA).
The Xbox 360 only marginally misses the mark by peeling back its horizontal resolution by 80 pixels, providing us with a 1200x720 internal resolution backed up by a similar 2x MSAA.
To our pixel count, the PS3 weighs in at 1152x648 with a similar 2x pass of MSAA approach as the other platforms.
Starting the Wii U version's campaign in earnest, we get a sense that this extra pixel-perfect clarity isn't necessarily being put to best use. The absence of an install is a convenience, certainly, but flitting between each comparison screenshot shows texture quality suffers to the same degree as the 360 code minus its optional texture pack. Some bump-mapped surfaces appear comparable to those on PS3, such as character skin and most clothing, but environmental details also appear flattened or downright garish in spots.
A lack of any such mandatory texture pack install on the Wii U version has other repercussions. Loading times are noticeably longer on Nintendo's platform, where if we select "skip" at the earliest opportunity during the initial briefing video, it takes the optical drive one minute 24 seconds to fully stream the prologue level and let us cut to the gameplay. This demands patience from players just itching to get to the action, and by comparison the PS3 takes just 22 seconds to load the very same mission, while the 360 clocks in at 24 seconds with its optional install.
Save for drops to the 25fps mark during some cut-scenes, the good news is that both PS3 and 360 versions hit this midway 30fps target consistently enough to make gameplay feel fluid. However, this is only made possible by means of some very aggressive full-screen tearing. Adaptive v-sync is in place for each platform, which causes frames to chop in half when the hardware is being pushed beyond its limits. Engaging
V-sync is permanently engaged for Nintendo's platform, adding to its credentials as one of the better-presented versions of the game overall - and it even outperforms the 360 during earlier in-engine cinematics. However, from the moment Sam Fisher enters the Paladin aircraft, it's clear this isn't to last. We suffer from lengthy bouts of 20fps performance during most briefing scenes here, plus similarly sluggish levels of refresh while at the heart of larger shoot-outs.

WiiU_021.png

360_021.png

PS3_021.png

glaurung

Amazing news about the Wii U version!

Both the 360 and PS3 versions look like absolute poop though. Once you go PC, you don't go back. I didn't.

Foshy

So the Wii U version looks best, but has more framerate drops and very long loading times. What about the DD version?

Nibel

Is Splinter Cell available on the eShop?

Also, they should allow game installation for better perfomance

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, I am curious about the download version on Wii U. I haven't started yet (being busy with w101) but I'm going now to check how much time it takes.

gogogow

Resolution is good news for the Wii U version, but Ubisoft fucked up by not giving Wii U owners a install option. What were they thinking when they were testing the game? Having load times 5x as long as other platforms is acceptable?

SmokyDave

How is the Wii U version not clearly superior?!

Oh well, I'm sure the low power consumption was worth it. To someone. Somewhere.

Resolution is good news for the Wii U version, but Ubisoft fucked up by not giving Wii U owners a install option. What were they thinking when they were testing the game? Having load times 5x as long as other platforms is acceptable?

That's not Ubisoft fault. Its Nintendo's fault by not adding this option to the console itself.

Im dying for Nintendo to add this to Wii U. Its ridiculous that they havent.

SJRB

Gold Member
Amazing news about the Wii U version!

Both the 360 and PS3 versions look like absolute poop though. Once you go PC, you don't go back. I didn't.

Hyperbole, game looks fine on consoles. Nothing earthshattering, but hardly "absolute poop".

Wtf at those loading times though, 1:24 is pretty harsh.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm...this game just doesn't look that great in general to me, even on pc. i think its just the overall aesthetic/character models.

szaromir

Banned
Compared to the other platforms, yes?
WiiU has:
+higher rendering resolution
-20fps gameplay
-muddy textures
-long loading times
PS360 have:
-lower rendering resolution
+25-30fps gameplay
+better textures
+significantly shorter loading times

Do you seriously consider the WiiU version to be better than oin other consoles?

...is that both PS3 and 360 versions hit this midway 30fps target consistently enough to make gameplay feel fluid....

You should watch comparison videos. The screen tearing on the ps360 version is so bad it makes you wanna rip your eye balls out of your head.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A lack of any such mandatory texture pack install on the Wii U version has other repercussions. Loading times are noticeably longer on Nintendo's platform, where if we select "skip" at the earliest opportunity during the initial briefing video, it takes the optical drive one minute 24 seconds to fully stream the prologue level and let us cut to the gameplay. This demands patience from players just itching to get to the action, and by comparison the PS3 takes just 22 seconds to load the very same mission, while the 360 clocks in at 24 seconds with its optional install.

I don't really get what are they measuring here. When you first start the game there is a succession of intro videos and behind them the game is loading. Between the first skip and the second skip there are like 35 seconds on my DD version. Then after the second skip it takes like 6-7 seconds to game into the game.

Frodo

WiiU has:
-20fps gameplay
-muddy textures
-long loading times
PS360 have:
+25-30fps gameplay
+better textures

Do you seriously consider the WiiU version to be better than oin other consoles?

Screen tearing is a big thing on PS3 and 360.

NotLiquid

So it's a choice between superior loading times and consistent 30 fps versus lack of tearing as well as slightly better graphics and resolution.

Tough one.

Bowler

this is why I am waiting on GTAV.... shit is mind numbingly bland and soft. Next gen can't come soon enough

braves01

Banned
We suffer from lengthy bouts of 20fps performance during most briefing scenes here, plus similarly sluggish levels of refresh while at the heart of larger shoot-outs.

Sounds like it's mostly during briefings. It seems like an acceptable port at the very least, though load times are psx level in length.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wii U in general has terrible loading times. Not surprised here.

Frodo

I don't think we are reading ang seeing the same article.

I don't think it either. As far as I know the frame drops on the Wii U version only occur on the cutscenes. And also Wii U's version is the only one with 0 screen tearing. So...

I guess it is a matter of preference.

ASTROID2

WiiU has:
-20fps gameplay
-muddy textures
-long loading times
PS360 have:
+25-30fps gameplay
+better textures

And always on v-sync on Wii U.

How is the Wii U version not clearly superior?!

Oh well, I'm sure the low power consumption was worth it. To someone. Somewhere.

This really puzzles me also when it comes to engineering of WiiU. Who the hell decided that it's good idea? Probably worst engineered console together with PS3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, it's a shame about those Wii U loading times. That alone pretty much ruins that version of the game.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
There's nothing to celebrate here, the Wii U was supposed to be a generation ahead of the PS3 / 360, not comparing "better in some areas, worse in others".

No doubt this will yet again be dismissed as yet another "lazy port", I suggest Wii U fans get used to resorting to that, as they are going to see a lot of this for the whole of the generation :p

Frodo

There's nothing to celebrate here, the Wii U was supposed to be a generation ahead of the PS3 / 360, not comparing "better in some areas, worse in others".

No doubt this will yet again be dismissed as yet another "lazy port", I suggest Wii U fans get used to resorting to that, as they are going to see a lot of this for the whole of the generation :p

They even left the co-op out. I don't thing that helps to say it is a good port. :p

jet1911

WiiU has:
-20fps gameplay
-muddy textures
-long loading times
PS360 have:
+25-30fps gameplay
+better textures

No the WiiU version does not have 20fps gameplay. "similarly sluggish levels of refresh while at the heart of larger shoot-outs." It's Splinter Cell, how many times do you think large shout-out happens over the course of the game? The massive screen tearing is way worse than some framedrop here and there. God I hate screen tearing.

Top Bottom