• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft lowers Xbox One shipment forecast for 2013, says paper

statham

Microsoft has recently lowered its Xbox One shipment forecast for 2013 from seven million units originally to 6.2 million due to poor yield rates of the device's camera module, optical disc drive (ODD) and related assembly, according to a Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) report citing market watchers.

Related upstream suppliers such as Global Unichip, Nuvoton Technology and Newmax, are expected to be impacted by the lower shipments, the report added.
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2013/8/27/microsoft_lowers_xbox_one_shipment_forecast.htm

EDIT: UPDATE: Microsoft says wut.

"That report is incorrect. We have not lowered shipping volumes, and are actually seeing better than expected yields from our silicon,"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423677,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
but the rumors said it was the console overheating n shit not the camera module

forecast of 6.2 million consoles in stores/players hands by dec 31 2013? or am I missing something because that seems beyond unrealistic.

kadotsu

Banned
Wow. My grip on truthfulness was that tenuous?

Perhaps, it could be taken at face value that we are telling the truth. I haven’t been up here posting spin or BS. I’ve been pushing hard to be transparent in how we talk about what’s going on with the platform. And I’m clear when I can’t comment on things.

Yet, somehow since this truth doesn’t jibe with the popular belief online, we are being dishonest. I get that we’ve had a rough few months, but at some point I’d like to think we get the benefit of the doubt, at least on things that make sense logically. You know, Occam’s Razor and such.

Here’s truth:

There never has been any sort of yield or performance issues with our GPU/ESRAM/KINECT/ETC. It’s simply not true, and I’ve heard the rumors online so often I actually went to the silicon engineers to ask them again. Our HW program (knock-on-wood) has been on schedule and again, we’ve had the opportunity to increase performance even later in the program. You don’t have yield issues then upgrade the clock speed by 6%. Again, simple logic here.

Second, if we were having yield issues – why did our country delay not include markets like the US, Canada, or UK? Those represent the vast majority of our volumes. Anyone can look at GFK Chart-Track and see the volumes in the regions that slipped. Here’s an assignment for the GAF Detectives: go look at historical sell-thru rates of consoles by region, then tell me what percentage of global consoles sales were represented by those affected markets. (hint: it’s a small percentage). Each and every region is important to us, don’t get me wrong, but anyone can look at those numbers and deduce it has nothing to do with volume.

I’m going to state it again, just like I said here and to OXM: The delay was localization related. Besides needing local language support, we also need to prop-up local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services. We bundle that together as “localization” in messaging, but there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation. The offset to that, like we’ve said, X1 is region free and while that’s slightly more inconvenient, it will still allow people in the local countries to enjoy launch. Again, not something we’d be promoting if we were having issues with volume.

I’m certainly not going to change everyone’s mind, I get that. And I know there is tendency to believe there are many more diabolical things going on behind the scenes. In this case, we are being fully transparent. And FYI – we passed FCC certification back in early summer, before PS4.

Lastly – anything that was shown on a box, was shown on near-final retail HW. Our Dev Kits and Retail Units are the same.

Albert “spoonful of sugar” Penello

Nice one

McDougles

So Microsoft PR got proven wrong within a couple of hours by an outside report?

Wonder if this will stall their SLOWWWWWWWW upwards trajectory post-E3.

DC1

Further confirmation of what we knew. The 6.2 is real tough as you can expect 60% of that to be allocated to NA.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
6.2 millions for the period between launch and December 31st? It's...too much. It's too much even for PS4, it's impossible to sell such a huge amount in the first two launch months.

Huh, yeah, 6 mil within 2 months is still a fuckton, even considering Black Friday and holidays for a new console. What are Sony's forcasts by comparison?
edit: oh is it for the fiscal quarter? Ending when? Still, I wonder how Sony's forcast compares.

And to put it in perspective, if they get even close to those sales, it would be nearly double of the WiiU's YTD.

Man

It's 6 million for 12 months of production at the current rate. There won't be 6 million consoles available day one lol.

level44

I can't stand this constant 'bending the truth' from Microsoft.
When stuff like this comes out it tarnishes their reputation even more.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, we need a clarification: is it a forecast till the end of the year (i.e. December 31st) or till the end of the fiscal year (i.e. March 31st)? The latter case would be far more reasonable.

keit4

Banned
At the end of the day all of this is about The Economic Daily News word vs the Microsoft's word. Still most people on GAF will take this news as truthfact.

Top Bottom