• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE temporarily suspending digital sales of X|V ARR

Thoraxes

Via SE's Facebook Page and Siliconera:

Important Notice About FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn - Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn, we are currently experiencing extremely long wait times for users to be able to log in and play. As a temporary measure, we will halt sales of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A REALM REBORN’s digital download products so we can accommodate all of those wishing to play. We are working to expand our server capacity in the coming days.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

Westlo

Dem artificial shortages.

Edit - If they kicked idle/afk characters like every other MMO in existence maybe more people could actually log in.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They are literally asking people to stop giving them money.

A COMPANY IS ASKING CONSUMERS TO STOP SPENDING MONEY.

What kind of dimensional rift have I ventured in!?

Zoator

I'm sure the absolute last thing SE wants for this game is a shortage of any kind. They want as many people to buy this game and start paying them subscription fees as soon as possible.

EDIT: This exact scenario also occurred at the launch of Guild Wars 2.

Shamdeo

Hopefully this will ease the pain of current players wishing to play as they work on accommodating servers or server space while avoiding new buyers from having to experience this day one.

Yup, this happened with Guild Wars 2 as well. Once SE eases in the current player-base into the servers, they'll open up digital sales again a week or two later I imagine.

Shinjica

Someone can explain me why every big game launch, and specifically MMO, are so fucked up?

I mean, you know there will be so much people trying to log in and every time you read that they have some sort of server problem.

Darryl

Banned

Edit - If they kicked idle/afk characters like every other MMO in existence maybe more people could actually log in.

They won't do it. The image of the game being packed full is a positive one that is leading to a lot of word of mouth like this article and will benefit them in the long run sales wise. Even if most people are just sitting idle in the main towns doing jack shit while 90% of the game is barren.

Thoraxes

Someone can explain me why every big game launch, and specifically MMO, are so fucked up?

I mean, you know there will be so much people trying to log in and every time you read that they have some sort of server problem.

The thing is, is that even though they can stress test all they want, they can never get the actual amount of people logging in/server loads during a launch down. There literally were not enough people to push it what it has been pushed to until now, and there was no way of knowing exactly how much until it actually happens. You can only predict so much with the amount of people that participate before a launch.

It's probably safe to assume they definitely underestimated here.

Yondy604

Banned
The game deserves the success, other then the server issues, the actual game is a blast to play, it's an Oldschool RPG Feel to it, and looks and plays incredibly well.

South_Park_-_Cartmanland.png

zugzug

This THIS this THIS! However not ever other MMO kicks idle players. SWTOR didn't when they were at crisis time as well.

It was really fucking pathetic today listening to Towelliee stream and right before he was going to the gym he admitted he will be sitting there afk so avoid his character from being logged out or just running him into a wall for the hour and a half he was going to be gone. He was so fucking proud of the fact he was going to afk and stay in game just so he can come back and play somemore. Making jokes that his chair was going to play the game.

But it really is Squares' own fault for not having better idle detection timers and force logging out players on this matter. This 15 minute afk bullshit is just bad lower it to 5 minutes come one crisis time is crisis time Square.

And then you just have to use that little program that input some random movement every 1 minute so you don't get flagged as afk

BlackJace

"Hah hah! Our game is so fucking good, we have to tell people to wait! We got servers on top of servers full of people! So much money we temporarily don't even want new customers! Bitcheeeees".

But seriously, as long as they're currently increasing capacity, that's fine.

Haunted

No company wants to accidentally overstock servers in expectations for launch. That's killed companies before (hello Onlive). It's the sort of case that only nets you any attention when it goes horribly wrong. Probably not worth the short-term investment to make it a smooth launch by extending capacities (and even then, you're never safe from unexpected problems) Servers are a fickle beast. It's not as easy as flipping a switch, either.

They are literally asking people to stop giving them money.

A COMPANY IS ASKING CONSUMERS TO STOP SPENDING MONEY.

What kind of dimensional rift have I ventured in!?
The one where they don't want this to turn into a Sim-City like disaster of disgruntled customers creating more work for customer service and a negative shitstorm.

Ron K

Not saying it won't help, because it absolutely would, but my server (Behemoth) JUST came back up and is already full.

Sulik2

Big surprise, a major Japanese company that is bad at network and server implementation. Get your crap together Squenix!

espher

Warhammer had this problem and compensated by adding a bunch of extra servers to accommodate volume. Then people stopped playing after the first month or two and these servers died and they had to deal with a bunch of mergers (that they were slow to implement) for the dead servers. A lot of people that get stuck on dead servers end up quitting, which doesn't help either.

[Edit: Oh, and also, early in a game's life, the low level zones are absolutely mobbed with people which reduces performance. As players and populations get spread out across content (even in the end game), the total number of players active on a server can usually be dialed up, so you mostly just need to "weather the storm". Rift, to cite a recent example, did 'okay' with this by somewhat instancing the first six levels/tutorial zone, but it was still a freaking mess when you got to the first lowbie zone for your faction.]

MMO launches are about trying to finely balance getting as many people in at launch as possible with trying to minimize server closures/mergers (they always look like bad press, even if they make good sense) early in the game's life.

TheContact

Reminds me of when WoW had to stop selling physical copies in the store because they couldn't handle all the people

Mokubba

And to think after XIV originally flopped, people were saying SE couldn't bring it back and the FF brand was done.

Fast forward to today and SE is saying stahp, we need more servers.
Bad management but I'm glad it's doing well

Robin64

Not saying it won't help, because it absolutely would, but my server (Behemoth) JUST came back up and is already full.

Well, looking around various forums, there's the attitude of "I'm going to log in early while it's still open then just AFK while I go sleep/go to school/wank so I can play later".

Horrible.

Zaptruder

Banned
While I completely understand not over investing in servers to deal with launch day issues, because once those issues subside, you're left with under utilized servers; not good for company OR customers...

What I can't understand is why they haven't implemented an idle kick script...

Or if it gets bad enough, a logged in time limit (say a server script that boots all players after 2-4 hours of play; they can immediately attempt to re-log and go into the back of the queue).

I mean, both ways, people are going to be annoyed - but at least that way, less people are annoyed and you're seen as making things fair for players at large.

Right now we have the worst situation possible - players that log in after several hours of attempts stay logged in even when AFK because they fear having to go through that attempt again, only to cause that wait time increase because of it.

It's like a spiral of shit, endlessly twirling back upon itself.

Top Bottom