• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Hear the difference in 360 vs Xbox One audio chat quality

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/29/x...hardware-improvements-and-skypes-audio-codec/

Pretty impressive.

Today we want to share some details about the incredible voice chat improvements made to Xbox One and how these changes will enhance your communication with the Xbox One Chat Headset on the console.

Thanks to integration with Skype’s audio codec, which has a proven track record of high-quality voice through billions of hours of use within Skype, as well as dedicated audio processing (for Xbox One conversations via Skype and multiplayer party chats), Xbox One offers higher quality voice chat with the Xbox One Chat Headset compared to Xbox 360—whether you’re chatting in-game or through party chat with Skype on Xbox One.

But the improvements don’t stop there. The Xbox One Wireless Controller’s new expansion port dramatically expands the data transfer rate between the controller and console. Combined with Skype’s audio codec, this enables crystal-clear digital audio with the Xbox One Chat Headset, both capturing and rendering speech at 24 KHz PCM, which is triple the rendering sample rate and a 50 percent capture rate improvement over Xbox 360 headsets. And, as we shared before, the Xbox One Chat Headset comes with every Xbox One console.

But don’t just take our word for it. Listen to this short sample for yourself:

ToyBroker

Banned
That sounds much improved. I like it.

Of course I'm sure it also comes down to the actual mic you're using...and I think we can all assume he's using something quite nice.

Much better. They should have thrown a kinect 2 sample as well...

Yeah now that's what I want to hear...especially since that was the original headset included.

JHall

Being able to hear every 12 year old's voice crack in crystal clear quality has made this a day one purchase for me!

UnnDunn

Banned
Hopefully this will also solve all of the echo and dirty connector issues suffered by the current chat headset.

moai

Very nice but party chat killed any interaction with strangers on live.
Crystal clear silence.

Mugatu

That great but honestly I've never had a problem understanding what people say. What worries me now are idiots with their loud, crappy music blaring while they play will be even more annoying.

def sim

That sounds much improved. I like it.

Of course I'm sure it also comes down to the actual mic you're using...and I think we can all assume he's using something quite nice.

It has more to do with the bitrate than the quality of mic. You can use a cheap zalman clip on and get the same result.

Alx

The new one sounds better of course, but the older one was already fine (IMO).
It would be interesting to hear the difference with chat using kinect, too (both to hear the improvement between kinect1 and kinect2, and to compare chat quality with and without a headset)

EvB

Bring back the voice filters I say!

I've loved playing with weird Scottish robot men and super squeaky mouse people

Oh boy, now I can hear 12-year olds, barking dogs, crying babies, and racists even better!
I don't get it. Would you rather hear racists,12teen yr olds, and crying babies in shitty audio? I'd prefer crystal clear audio of what you mentioned. But hey different strokes for different folks.

ToyBroker

Banned
It has more to do with the bitrate than the quality of mic. You can use a cheap zalman clip on and get the same result.

I dunno. I've used some pretty shitty ass mics in my day just dicking around with that old Windows voice recorder thing.

Either way and regardless of the mic used, it seems like marked improvement.

Anyone know what kinda bandwith this kinda jump uses? I'm assuming it's negligible.

Here's a video of Kinect background noise cancellation. Pretty amazing demo..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYF9kpZ5xqs

Shit that's pretty incredible. A little too incredible... -rubs beard-

PCM is a waste of bandwidth especially when the sampling rate is only 24kHz. It'd be like taking a really compressed anigif and converting into a MP4 at Blu-ray bitrates.

Cool I guess though. Now when I get called a f*g and a n****r it'll sound like the person is actually in the room with me. Immersion.

I don't get it. Would you rather hear racists,12teen yr olds, and crying babies in shitty audio? I'd prefer crystal clear audio of what you mentioned. But hey different strokes for different folks.

I do like telling cry babies to "Stop Whining" with my Arnold soundboard, crystal clear Arnold is nice

Marcel

I'd rather not hear them at all, which is why they get muted shortly after making their annoying noises.

dude819

That sounds amazing.

Also, to everyone mentioning racist 12 year olds, what kind of amateurs actually talk to the gen. pop. on XBL? You get in a party chat and don't deal with that nonsense.

Marcel

That sound amazing.

Also, to everyone mentioning racist 12 year olds, what kind of amateurs actually talk to the gen. pop. on XBL? You get in a party chat and don't deal with that nonsense.

Oh yeah, son. Pop in the party chat with ya clan bros, lay a fierce ownage on them gen pops. Plebs. They know nothing about us. We go hard.

Please.

BigDug13

That sound amazing.

Does your friendlist never expand beyond the friends you've already made in gaming? Does a newcomer to console gaming never have a chance to meet one of the "good guys" unless they happen upon another newcomer?

Top Bottom