• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activist investor at MS who wants out of Xbox given seat on Board of Directors

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/31/microsoft_valueact_ballmer/

Redmond announced the "cooperation agreement" in the late hours of Friday afternoon in San Francisco before the Labor Day three day weekend, which is an ideal time to bury news.

The agreement means ValueAct Capital – one of Microsoft's 15 largest shareholders with 0.8 percent of common stock – will "have the option" of plonking its president Mason Morfit onto Microsoft's board of directors, after the 2013 annual shareholders meeting.

Interesting times...

Hoo-doo

Banned
"given seat on Board of Directors"

is not the same as

"will have the option of plonking its president Mason Morfit onto Microsoft's board of directors"

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
GAF should get together to buy a 1% stake in MSFT.

"given seat on Board of Directors"

is not the same as

"will have the option of plonking its president Mason Morfit onto Microsoft's board of directors"

An option they will take up, having pushed for it for a year or so. Unless you expect a reversal of their currently held position...

Duxxy3

Bad timing. Xbox is likely to post heavy losses with the launch of a new console. That's just typical for new hardware launches though.

Finalizer

vh5wVel.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
An option they will take up, having pushed for it for a year or so. Unless you expect a reversal of their currently held position...

Okay, that makes sense. I didn't know they were actively pushing for that position and figured it was just empty talk, really.

i dont get it , the article doesnt talk about 'xbox' ... my english isnt that good , i dont really understand whats happening here.. can someone explain this in simple words? thanks

Gaogaogao

i dont get it , the article doesnt talk about 'xbox' ... my english isnt that good , i dont really understand whats happening here.. can someone explain this in simple words? thanks

a person who wants to get rid of xbox, because it costs ms too much money, is being granted more power.

SparkTR

This investor is outspoken about wanting to sell or marginalize the Xbox division, and they recently got a board seat which means they have more power and influence when it comes to making decisions like that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

ValueAct wants Microsoft to focus on enterprise and cloud, non-consumer segments.

In previous articles, a Nomura analyst that supposedly is 'well sourced' wrt ValueAct's agenda says that among other things it would like MS to sell off Bing and Xbox.

It's no coincidence that Ballmer and another board member came out publicly, recently, to defend Microsoft's position in the consumer space.

Battle lines are being drawn. Will be interesting to see where things go. Even if ValueAct doesn't get its way on all things, discussions and negotiations around these things could have ramifications for Xbox's priority/position within the company.

deleted

if it would come to it - which company would be big enough and interested in buying the Xbox decision? this is a near impossible sell, right?

This is worrying tbh, though I doubt anything will happen in the short term unless sony slaughters them over the next year in console sales

Row

Banned
This is worrying tbh, though I doubt anything will happen in the short term unless sony slaughters them over the next year in console sales

Not this gen, but next? I mean given that it doesn't have the benefit of launching first by a large margin, is being sold for more, and that their biggest competitor is doing a lot of things right there is no way the XB1 matches the 360. You would have to be blindly optimistic to think otherwise. Their TV functionality won't make up for it, even in the unlikely event they reached their lofty goals in that space.

Given that, imagine how the sentiment to ditch the division will flare up even more among shareholders

QaaQer

google or samsung

big enough and interested

So, yeah, I really doubt there is any company that would buy Xbox division outright. There is some good IP there though.

No, I think getting a new owner is pretty much out of the question. If google, samsung, apple, etc want to have a tv box that plays games, it will undoubtedly look like Amazon's Snapdragon 800 console. A console that is first a multimedia device, a games box a distant second, and priced at $149-$199.

129,234 Members x $60 Gold/year = 7,754,040
129,234 Members x 20 games/year x $60/game = 155,080,800
Total = 162,834,840

We're almost 20% there!

We could own a chair on the board of directors in 5 years time. DO IT

Who would we appoint.
maybe dennis, he'll assure the next xbox runs all games at 4k res 1 fps and every button on the controller is a screenshot button.

Once the One launches, the Xbox Team gets reorged into the newly made OS and Hardware branches of the company. That will cement their safety for the time being because they will be more tightly integrated into the company.

The same goes for Windows Phone next year once Blue ships.

legend166

I think if the Xbone comes out and Microsoft have to go through that whole 'lose money in the first four years to make some in the last four, although not really making much overall', it wouldn't surprise me to see them drop it.

QaaQer

Once the One launches, the Xbox Team gets reorged into the newly made OS and Hardware branches of the hardware. That will cement their safety for the time being because they will be more tightly integrated into the company.

The same goes for Windows Phone next year once Blue ships.

?. Killing xbox doesn't mean those people wont have jobs elsewhere in MS. In fact, that is part of the reason there is a push for the axing of consumer initiatives, that is being able to put valuable talented people to work in more profitable areas.

Karak

So...basically like a ton of other companies out there with people on boards with large shares that want other stuff to happen than is currently occuring. That is business.

Perkel

Banned
Maybe he will learn how profitable the Xbox division is now.

They didn't make a single dollar of profit after 10 years on Xbox Division but they lost a lot money.

So...basically like a ton of other companies out there with people on boards with large shares that want other stuff to happen than is currently occuring. That is business.

0.8% of shares. 15 biggest. Even on board of directors he will have small to none influence.

?. Killing xbox doesn't mean those people wont have jobs elsewhere in MS. In fact, that is part of the reason there is a push for the axing of consumer initiatives, that is being able to put valuable talented people to work in more profitable areas.
Which brings on why their safety is cemented for the time being. And that is because within the new Reorg, Microsoft will be becoming a devices and services company at heart. With that in mind, the Board of Directors will be more defensive over their consumer offerings to keep the devices and services mantra in line. Once the reorg comes around, Xbox essentially becomes a major player within the devices area of the company so it would turn into a major struggle for people who wanted to drop it unless they had a really good alternative for the devices area of the company which would replace it.

Also remember that even though ValuAct will have a seat with 1% Stock, they are still going up against Bill Gates who has 5%, Ballmer who will likely continue to hold 3-4% upon retiring, and the rest of the board which has stocks ranging from 1-3%.

a person who wants to get rid of xbox, because it costs ms too much money, is being granted more power.
Or a person who had the main objective to get on that board made too much noise to get to this position just got it. He will not do anythign to Xbone now that he got a seat on the board of directors.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Some people worried about the possibility of this happening but I dunno, I think the only way it could be a bad thing would be if they got bought by Baidu or some other Chinese company that would probably drastically change the approach to centre more on that market.

If they got bought by a western company though, say a company that's wanted to be in games forever, say Amazon or Google, we could end up with an Xbox brand that's run by people who actually understand consumers rather than ones who are just good at throwing money at problems until they go away.

Hate to think what Xbox would cost though, in a market where start ups with half decent mapping ideas are worth billions, what do you charge for a department with an actual revenue model and millions of paying members.

Row

Banned
Or a person who had the main objective to get on that board made too much noise to get to this position just got it. He will not do anythign to Xbone now that he got a seat on the board of directors.

....you do know these people have a lot of money invested in the company, right? You also know because of that they want to see costs go down, revenue go up, and as a result see bigger profits, right?

just making sure

Top Bottom