• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One/(360) Locks 81 Features Behind Xbox Live Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr87

Lock if old

Xbox One is going to have multiple console features locked behind the paywall that is Xbox Live gold. To be exact, there are 81 total features that have to have a gold subscription to access.

• Online Multiplayer
  • Party Chat
  • Video Chat
  • Matchmaking
  • SkyDrive/ Unlimited Cloud Storage
  • SmartMatch (improved version of matchmaking)
  • Game DVR – You have to pay Microsoft, so you can record footage of YOUR games & store it on the hard drive?
  • One Guide
  • Games With Gold – This is valid until Xbox One releases.
  • Amazon.com Instant Video
  • AOL On
  • AT&T Uverse
  • BLIP.TV
  • C|Net
  • CinemaNOW
  • Comedy Central: Stand-Up
  • Crackle
  • Crunchyroll
  • Dailymotion
  • Disney
  • EPIX
  • ESPN
  • Facebook
  • Flixter
  • Fox Broadcast
  • Gametrailers
  • Gamespot TV
  • HBO GO
  • Hulu Plus
  • IGN
  • iHeartRadio
  • Internet Explorer
  • Karaoke
  • Last.fm
  • Machinima
  • Manga Entertainment
  • MAXIM – GIGGIDY GIGGIDY GOO!
  • MLB.tv
  • MSN with MSNBC
  • MTV
  • Mustang Customizer
  • Muzu.TV
  • NBA Game Time
  • NBC News
  • Neon Alley
  • NETFLIX
  • NFL
  • NHL Game Center
  • Nick
  • OneBeat
  • Paramount Movies
  • Pizza Hut – Yup, you need a Gold Subscription to order pizza. PREMIUM SERVICE.
  • PopcornFlix
  • Redbox Instant by Verizon
  • Revision3
  • Rhapsody
  • SkyGO
  • Slacker Radio
  • SnagFilms
  • Sony Pictures
  • Sports Picks
  • SyFy
  • Telemundo
  • TMZ
  • Toys “R” Us
  • Twitch.TV
  • Twitter
  • UFC On Xbox Live – You need a Gold subscription…to use ***Pay per View*** for UFC? You have to pay…to pay.
  • Uvideos
  • Verizon FIOS TV
  • Vevo
  • Vimeo
  • Vudu
  • WSJ Live
  • WWE
  • Xbox Music – Requires Xbox Music Pass, which is $100 A YEAR, but also requires GOLD to use on Xbox360? What?
  • Xbox Tournaments
  • Xfinity
  • Youtube

http://gaminrealm.com/2013/08/22/xbox360-xbox-one-81-features-locked-away-without-xbox-live-gold/
http://playeressence.com/xbox-live-gold-has-81-features-locked-behind-it-for-xbox-one/

lock? all i see is the value with xbox live gold and privilege to be able to experience one of the most technical achievement in gaming history.

Skeff

Damn, thats only in US btw. most of those aren't available outside of US. But some different ones are, again behind the paywall.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds fair. Nothing to see here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What is Xbox Tournaments? Is this the first we've heard of this or is this a catch-all term?

Also lol @ individual apps counting as features.

All I see is a list of reasons why I wouldn't bother with another Xbox console. I ended up letting my 360 gold expire and then couldn't watch Netflix or do anything that I could do on my other two consoles. I understand locking multiplayer behind a pay wall I guess but not stuff like Netflix that I have to have a subscription for anyway.

ultron87

Just like it was this gen the only thing that matters to me is online multiplayer. So the rest of that is gravy.

KAL2006

Banned
Overdelivering value

Okay it is annoying but surely Gold is at least cheaper than PSN+, oh wait no its $10 more expensive

Okay then surely MS offer more Instant Game Collection free games than Sony, oh wait they don't even offer Instant Game Collection

BibiMaghoo

I find Facebook the most revolting of them all. Some peoples watches, and probably toasters, can go on facebook, for free.

I guess they didn't lie when they said they were over delivering value. Just not to the customer.

BigDug13

All I see is a list of reasons why I wouldn't bother with another Xbox console. I ended up letting my 360 gold expire and then couldn't watch Netflix or do anything that I could do on my other two consoles. I understand locking multiplayer behind a pay wall I guess but not stuff like Netflix that I have to have a subscription for anyway.

Yeah really annoying that mine could no longer do Netflix when I let my Gold expire.

JayFalcon

Banned
I thought about gifting my old Xbox 360 to my nephews or parents so they can use as a Netflix box , but I can't unless I buy them Gold.This is just another reason why am not upgrading to the Xbox One.

I'm also still undecided on the PS4 due to them charging for multiplayer.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
On top of apps padding the list there's also stuff like "SmartMatch" that count as a seperate feature from MP, which wouldn't even make sense if it was free for everyone without multiplayer being free to everyone as well.

I count ~12 actual features locked behind there, depending on what you qualify (I included IE because of web browsing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom