• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vin Diesel teases 'Merging of Universes' for Marvel Phase 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09...-of-brands-in-the-marvel-movieverse-come-2016

This sounds like it is going to be epic.

When I met with Marvel it wasn’t for anything immediate, it was to talk about a film that would be introduced in the Phase 3 part of Marvel, not for a few years. You wouldn’t be able to see it for a few years. In my mind, Marvel were doing it right, they were enrolling me at the ground level which is the best way to enrol me.

I had heard people over the last year, people saying on the social media page saying “What’s up Vin? Why aren’t you going to Marvel? Why aren’t you doing anything with Marvel? It would be a crime of cinematic history for you not to be in [Marvel movies]”

So I was thinking “This Marvel thing is really becoming really important for these people. What can I do? What should I think about?”

I get the call, I go down to Marvel. A*great meeting. It was even talking about something so big I can’t even talk about because it’s like the merging of brands in a way, which I won’t get into. That was something way, way, way, way, way down the road.

Later, he explains how he was put on the spot at Comic-Con. I was in Hall H when a fan asked him about his meetings with Marvel. This is how it felt from Diesel’s side.

We had agreed not to say anything about the specifics of the meeting. So, now I’ve got the fans who I love more than I love the industry, than I love everybody… I was thinking “I’ve got to be real with them, I’ve got to tell them something” and yet I want to be respectful of people’s process and if people like to do a slow reveal, you know?

Quite frankly, it would have been too much to say and it might have been anticlimactic to say “We’re working on something for 2016” and so I just said “You’re going to hear some really big news” and I left at the end of that and it went crazy.

Avengers vs GOTG vs FF vs Silver surfer?

Slayven

US 1 vs Fast and Furious.

7df57a92-d05f-40f4-a80b-a387cbeb59b0.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Again, given Marvel's secretism when it comes to the MCU, I have to wonder if Vin is allowed to tease the fans like that or if he's just running his mouth because he can't help himself.

Slayven

Again, given Marvel's secretism when it comes to the MCU, I have to wonder if Vin is allowed to tease the fans like that or if he's just running his mouth because he can't help himself.
The second one. I would be shocked if they let Vin in on their meets and plans other then roles for him

I've been wondering this ever since he started posting teases on his Facebook about characters he might be playing.

mjc

I could definitely see Riddick becoming part of the Marvel Universe somehow. Imagine him fighting the Brood or some messed up aliens across the galaxy. Badass.

Slayven

Marvel would never waste time with Riddick. They would rather build up their own roster for complete cross promotion synergy.

I would assume he means something like Avengers + Guardians + Fantastic Four + other Marvel properties all team up to stop Thanos, or something of that nature.

Dude really needs to play Eddie Brock/Venom. He'd be more popular than Eduardo Spider-Man.

Edit: And FF coming back to Marvel would be a really big deal. Do it Fox. Split the revenue or something. They can do more with it than you can. You know this.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Riddick vs. the Avengers

Spiderman and X-men finally are in an Avengers-type movie?

vin diesel as "Wooferine"

Anth0ny

Dude really needs to play Eddie Brock/Venom. He'd be more popular than Eduardo Spider-Man.

Edit: And FF coming back to Marvel would be a really big deal. Do it Fox. Split the revenue or something. They can do more with it than you can. You know this.

I hope Fox and Sony took a long, hard look at Iron Man box office numbers before Avengers and after Avengers and figured "You know, if we feature our characters in this monster of a film, maybe our solo efforts will be more successful."

Wolverine did kind of shitty at the box office. I have no doubt it would have cracked a billion if he just came off starring in The Avengers.

Slayven

Fast and Furious x Marvel

Pulling heist jobs in space, 1 quarter light year at a time

fMnWCmm.jpg
[/IMG]

While the heroes are away fighting World War Hulk, the villains can play...M.O.D.O.K., sick of being hunted and hounded by A.I.M., gathers together an eclectic team of Marvel's Most Wanted to pull off one last, big score. But news travels fast along the grapevine of villainy - and pretty soon every bad guy in the Marvel Universe is gunning for the Big-Headed One's unspeakably powerful prize. Executing their heist may be the easy part, because getting away with their loot alive is going to be the real challenge for M.O.D.O.K.'s 11!

I hope Fox and Sony took a long, hard look at Iron Man box office numbers before Avengers and after Avengers and figured "You know, if we feature our characters in this monster of a film, maybe our solo efforts will be more successful."

Wolverine did kind of shitty at the box office. I have no doubt it would have cracked a billion if he just came off starring in The Avengers.

I highly doubt that.

Wolverine is too played out. Sure, he's extremely well known and loved, but they don't call it "Wolverine Publicity" in lots of references outside of comics, for nothing.

this_guy

I highly doubt that.

Wolverine is too played out. Sure, he's extremely well known and loved, but they don't call it "Wolverine Publicity" in lots of references outside of comics, for nothing.

I hate the movie Wolverine character. I don't remember him in the comics with a healing factor that makes him pretty much invincible like the movies.

RedShift

I can't imagine they'll merge with another of the licensed Marvel franchises.

Especially not X-Men, the continuity of those films is so fucked up, having them in the same movie universe as the Avengers makes no sense. Like, why wouldn't Nick Fury have recruited some of the X-Men, or why didn't they just show up at New York anyway, they were pretty close weren't they?

Spider-man is a bit more plausible though it does raise the question of what the fuck was he doing during the Avengers climax?

Slayven

Especially not X-Men, the continuity of those films is so fucked up, having them in the same movie universe as the Avengers makes no sense. Like, why wouldn't Nick Fury have recruited some of the X-Men, or why didn't they just show up at New York anyway, they were pretty close weren't they?

Spider-man is a bit more plausible though it does raise the question of what the fuck was he doing during the Avengers climax?

X-men movie serious is cancerous dung right now.

Anth0ny

Well they're trying to fix all the fucked up continuity in the X-Men films with Days of Future Past.

Not to mention AVENGERS 2/DOFT POSSIBLE SPOILER
Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch will appear in both films, which is going to be CRAZY

In short: no one cares about continuity. It's Wolverine blowing up shit with Hulk and Iron Man.

RedShift

Could just claim it took place before Parker got his powers

True. I haven't seen TASM, but I would imagine that any event like an alien invasion of the city you live in wouldn't show up in the back story, or at least be mentioned one time by someone.

Like, "remember that one time when we were younger and a portal opened in the sky and a alien army poured out of it and got fought off by Iron Man, a demi god, and a giant green rage monster?"

We just need to get George Lucas on board and the solution becomes obvious. Re-release Avengers but digitally insert Spider-Man into all of the scenes in the background, swinging around and saving people. But it makes it even more funny because no one ever acknowledges him or what he is doing.

Riddick doesn't really have any special powers. He can see at night and has mutant-esque instincts like a predator but when you put him in a group with like Thor, Hulk, the X-men, it gets strange. Let alone someone like Thanos or Galactus. What is he going to do vs them or their minions even? I guess you could say the same for guys like Hawkeye though and he did fine in the Avengers so it's possible. If Vin does Marvel he should be a character with spectacular powers and strength.

True. I haven't seen TASM, but I would imagine that any event like an alien invasion of the city you live in wouldn't show up in the back story, or at least be mentioned one time by someone.

Like, "remember that one time when we were younger and a portal opened in the sky and a alien army poured out of it and got fought off by Iron Man, a demi god, and a giant green rage monster?"

This doesn't really concern comic book movie fans. If anything, Iron Man 3 spent too much time dwelling on this.

If the Avengers were fighting some invincible giant robot constructed by Ultron and suddenly Spider-Man and Hugh Jackman Wolverine showed up, the fans would go nuts no matter what the explanation was.

Transformers 3 is all the proof you need that spectacle films don't have to make sense. The amount of exposition offered in movies like The Avengers is for people like us, really.

Fantastic Four are still much more likely than any of the other suggestions though.
I would kill to see Doom in the MCU.
Riddick doesn't really have any special powers. He can see at night and has mutant-esque instincts like a predator but when you put him in a group with like Thor, Hulk, the X-men, it gets strange. Let alone someone like Thanos or Galactus. What is he going to do vs them or their minions even? I guess you could say the same for guys like Hawkeye though and he did fine in the Avengers so it's possible. If Vin does Marvel he should be a character with spectacular powers and strength.

Riddick actually does have super powers, due to the ridiculous retcons of Chronicles of Riddick and Escape from Butcher Bay. He's not human, he's a human-like alien called a Furyan.

Riddick doesn't really have any special powers. He can see at night and has mutant-esque instincts like a predator but when you put him in a group with like Thor, Hulk, the X-men, it gets strange. Let alone someone like Thanos or Galactus. What is he going to do vs them or their minions even? I guess you could say the same for guys like Hawkeye though and he did fine in the Avengers so it's possible.

Well to be fair he could probably do more to help than Hawkeye or Black Widow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom