• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins PC [Team Green] Exclusive Features (video)

Phil4000

Batman-Arkham-Origins-PC-Features.jpg

The definitive PC version will feature the following visual improvements:
- Soft Shadows
- TXAA anti-aliasing (Nvidia exclusive)
- Turbulence/Cloth/Particles PhysX Effects (Nvidia exclusive)
- Nvidia’s new DOF technique (???)
- HBAO+ (Nvidia exclusive)
As well as the usual PC benefits: Higher resolution textures, smoother framerate, 1080p+ resolution, tessellation, etc...

Video Demonstration from PAX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBilg4EHj-M

Batman-Arkham-Origins-PhysX_1-pcgh.jpg

Batman-Arkham-Origins-PhysX_6-pcgh.jpg

Batman-Arkham-Origins-PhysX_4-pcgh.jpg

Batman-Arkham-Origins-PhysX_8-pcgh.jpg

Assassins Creed IV Black Flag was also demonstrated on PC and a few details were released as well...
- 4k textures on PC version
- TXAA support

Derrick01

Banned
But will it actually work on day 1 this time? DX11 ran at 0fps for a while even with the unnecessary 2 week delay.

Fantasmo

But will it actually work on day 1 this time? DX11 ran at 0fps for a while even with the unnecessary 2 week delay.
Did they ever? Physx & Dx9 ran at a billion fps, but dx11 was a stuttering mess last December. Not that it mattered, tesselation didn't exactly add much.

Which video card should I get to run this game @1080p 60fps?

Probably two titans :p

Despite the framerate issues and horrible, buggered launch the PC version of City was really nice and had some cool features. Thought the physx usage in particular added a lot to the atmosphere of some of the battles. Smacking all the money around as Catwoman <3

I want to finish the game(was very close) but GFWL deleted my save
13613543951439936233.GIF

Nabs

Man, that tessellation scene was just chugging. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, but why would they bother including that part.

Zeth

Think there's a story buried in that PAX video in OP, unless I missed it earlier - 4K textures in AC4 PC.

TXAA is a proprietary nV implementation though it should be similar to SMAA in theory.

nV DOF probably uses CUDA.

Al I know you're fairly knowledgable on such things but my understanding was that SMAA (in its various iterations) really isn't similar to TXAA. Like, at all. TXAA seems heavily focused on on reducing aliasing artifacts caused by image motion.

Irobot82

TXAA is a proprietary nV implementation though it should be similar to SMAA in theory.

nV DOF probably uses CUDA.

That's so annoying. At least AMD keeps their stuff open to other to use like TressFX. Oh well. I'm sure my 7950 will run the game well enough.

AlStrong

Al I know you're fairly knowledgable on such things but my understanding was that SMAA (in its various iterations) really isn't similar to TXAA. Like, at all. TXAA seems heavily focused on on reducing aliasing artifacts caused by image motion.

SMAA can use MSAA and temporal AA as well.

TXAA anti-aliasing creates a smoother, clearer image than any other anti-aliasing solution by combining high-quality MSAA multisample anti-aliasing, post processes, and NVIDIA-designed temporal filters.

That's all.

TXAA is nice in that from my experience with every game that uses it is that it completely(and I mean it) removes aliasing but the downside is that it puts a gray/slight blur over the entire picture so it never really looks sharp. Looks better in some games than others, ACIII and the Secret World looked really nice with it where Blacklist was a bit too blurry at times.

Interested to see that new depth of field technique or whatever it might be. It's my favorite effect.

AlStrong

Ahhh I see what you mean. Forgot some SMAA implementations had temporal AA included.

No worries. :) Too many implementations these days. :p

Just to add to that: MSAA can handle temporal aliasing in terms of edge crawling that post-AA cannot solve since the former is sub-sample. Temporal filters would seem to imply reusing the previous frame data to achieve temporal SSAA although there are separate ways to reduce/eliminate ghosting (which SMAA also covers).

Top Bottom