• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resogun Dev: PS4 is all 'raw power'; will result in better looking multiplat games

Courage

Another dev that discusses the potential of that ddr5 rams and gpu

We asked him whether other developers will be using the extra GDDR5 RAM and more GPU compute to churn better exclusive and multiplatform games on the PS4, to which he replied:
“Definitely. In this generation PS4 seems to be the console with fewest quirks – no embedded DRAM. Just raw power. Sony’s signature low-level graphics API may leave some developers with bloodied knuckles but also gives access to a lot more of its potential. This time PCs and consoles have more in common than ever before, making multiplatform easier, but this time people will ramp up effects for PS4.”

He also talks about how gorgeous Resogun is:

“Basically, the entire world of RESOGUN is built out of individual voxels. Using our custom toolchain we export the levels as large 3D textures, which are then loaded to our engine and polygonized on the fly to build the “centrepiece” of each level. The environments are all fully destructible (though we do mark certain cubes as “indestructible” to maintain some gameplay readability) so when an explosion happens nearby, the voxels of that part are detached and chipped away,” Krueger explains.
He further adds that “these detached voxels that you see in game are not just particle effects or point sprites; they are actual individual cube s, with their own geometry, collisions and physics, and each has its own lighting and casts its own shadow. All these cubes are fully dynamic and reactive, so for example when the player boosts through the cubes you will notice them being pushed away. Our engine supports up to 500,000 of these at any time, though in normal gameplay we rarely exceed 200k.”

http://gamingbolt.com/resogun-dev-p...gpu-will-result-in-better-multiplatform-games

Powerhouse me if old.

KoopaTheCasual

Ehh, not that I don't believe him, but if you spoke to a dev, who mainly works with MS, they'd say the opposite, and how both consoles will "practically look the same".

3Pe9.gif

Cant have a Resogun thread without a Resogun gif

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Sony’s signature low-level graphics API may leave some developers with bloodied knuckles but also gives access to a lot more of its potential.

They also provide a higher-level API, so developer's should have some options to chose from.

Courage

Ehh, not that I don't believe him, but if you spoke to a dev, who mainly works with MS, they'd say the opposite, and how both consoles will "practically look the same".

Yeah, I agree. I was more interested in what "pure raw power" meant.

Is the PS4 Pandora's Box?

ethomaz

Banned
Which MS dev said the opposite? If I remember Need For Speed's dev said one of the consoles will look a little better.

MS First parties said specs don't matter.

Housemarque is third party BTW.

onQ123

“Definitely. In this generation PS4 seems to be the console with fewest quirks – no embedded DRAM. Just raw power."

ibzG4p2WboFlCL.gif

Derrick01

Banned
And zero Xbox One games.

If they did would it matter? We've already seen plenty of people dispute it when a multiplatform dev mentions a power advantage. People just don't want to believe things that make them uncomfortable. This game being an exclusive just makes it a convenient excuse for them to automatically dismiss the claim. It's a lot harder when someone from Dice or Ubisoft says it.

I treat any non-third-party developers quotes the same way as marketing people quotes. They're both meaningless,since the person speaking has a vested interest in hyping up a specific platform. Had this comment come from an unbiased, impartial party, it would have merit. As it stands now, it's nothing more than marketing.

They haven't announced anything. Nearly no one has in the smaller games front of XB1. I'm sure it'll happen.

Thanks.

I'll take their comments with a grain of salt until they've worked on both consoles and still say the same. Not that I doubt it will eventually turn out to be true, but it's hard to take these comments seriously when the developer hasn't worked on the competition.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Is there any dev on record saying explicitly that their multiplat (or multiplats in general) will be "better" on X1?

Or have they just said "basically the same," which is a common phrasing used to diplomatically downplay genuine differences between platforms?

Top Bottom