• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Has High Hopes For Gaist Crusher, Plans To Turn It Into Their New Brand

As reported in the past, Gaist Crusher is being planned as a major new multimedia brand for Capcom that will no doubt be put to good use once it has been established. The upcoming action game features Mega Man Legends-style aesthetics combined with the multiplayer features that have made the Monster Hunter series so popular. In their annual report, Capcom detail their plans for the upcoming franchise.

Capcom describe Gaist Crusher as a major new multimedia project focused on children, encompassing games, manga, anime and figurines. Specifically, Capcom will be placing manga stories based on Gaist Crusher in the Saikyo Jump and V Jump magazines in Japan, published by Shueisha Inc. Additionally, a TV animation project will be produced by Pierrot Co., Ltd., along with a series of “Gaimetal” toys produced in collaboration with Bandai.

Gaist Crusher has some talented developers behind it, too. Treasure, the studio that created Ikaruga and Sin & Punishment, is developing the game.

If the plan works out, Gaist Crusher will provide Capcom with yet another brand that they can utilize for traditional games, but it will also provide them with another recognizable I.P. that they will be able to leverage as part of their growing mobile business, similar to Capcom staples like Monster Hunter and Resident Evil.
Thanks Siliconera

Sorry if old.

Tusk

I'ven excited for this since I saw the trailer. o: I hope it gets localized. I'd prbably read the manga/watch the anime, too, tbh...

Maybe even collect the merch a bit. <_< If the series is good.

Takao

Banned
You typically don't fund anime, and manga series as well as partnering with a toy manufacturer for a modest performer.

L Thammy

It's probably not distinctive enough to be ridiculous huge, but it could very well be a popular multi-media franchise. Also, Treasure, so keeping hopeful.

features Mega Man Legends-style aesthetics

They're doing this on purpose now.

Sami+

The hell is Gaist Crusher...?

I just looked up a trailer - not at all interested. Has that god-awful Beyblade/Yu-Gi-Oh/Bakugan aesthetic. No thanks.

Raide

That certainly does sound like a special move that some Anime hero would shout.

GGGGGAAAAIISSTTTOOO CRUUUUUSHHHHHAAAAA!

Gloam

I like the look of the dudes in the game. Kinda like Saint Seiya, all up for Monster Hunter style games, and who better to oversee something like that than Capcom. I imagine the anime will be suitably hot-blooded and screamy... Japan, prepare to get geist crushed.

Yeah, this is disappointing.

If it's a success, they may be flush with income to do more original, Treasure-owned stuff, I hope. That or they can work with Capcom on publishing more original work. The worst thing would be to see them turn themselves into a franchise factory for regular installments, like a Treyarch, Neversoft, or Inifinity Ward.

Glass Rebel

I won't complain about good games aimed at children but I am not sure if this really plays to Treasure's strengths. From my experience it's one dimension of movement too many for them to handle. Still, I don't think there's many hunting games specifically aimed at kids so this might do well.

I'd be happy to try it out if they decide to bring it over to Europe.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capcom's realized they fucked up too hard on the core gaming audience. It's time to cut their losses and foster a new generation of gamers with kids.

Refugio

Kind of? The game opened with sub 20k units with a TV anime, manga, and toyline. Even worse was that IIRC the game was internally developed.

Noticed Noise(Custom Robo devs) list it on their website, so I don't think it was fully internally developed at least.

Top Bottom