• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know?: Atsuko Nishida designed Pikachu, not Ken Sugimori, TOO MUCH CUTE!!!

PikachuPPromo21.jpg

Art by Atsuko Nishida herself.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Atsuko_Nishida

Proper confirmation comes from Natsume's Hometown Story PR:

Developed by Yasuhiro Wada, the "Father of Harvest Moon," and his studio TOYBOX in Tokyo, Japan, Hometown Story takes players to a new fantastic world filled with color and hope. With music composed by Nobuo Uematsu, famous for his beautiful compositions for the Final Fantasy series, and character designs by Atsuko Nishida, the designer behind Pikachu and numerous other Pokémon, Hometown Story has a powerhouse team with massive creativity between them that creates a unique setting that players will be able to experience for the first time during next month’s show.

Apparently she also did Minccino and Cinccino, I'd imagine Pichu and Raichu, ah fuck it SHE'S likely done all the Pika clones.

There's a decent number of other designers, NOT Sugimori who did the original Pokemon. Like this guy:

Hironobu Yoshida

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hironobu_Yoshida

Who did Wobbuffet, Dunsparce, Celebi, Deoxys and Magmortar.

Wish we knew more about the other designers, EVERYONE assumes that Sugimori did all of the first 251 Pokemon (like an urban myth?), I certainly did lol. :p But that's clearly not true!

JoeM86

Well it is a bit of a misnomer that Ken Sugimori designed all the Pokémon. That has never been the case. What he has done is lead the design team and create the final artwork for each of the Pokémon. They typically don't reveal who was the original designer because it becomes more of a group effort, anyway.

Kokonoe

Banned
Heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage knowledge.

This person designed Sylveon.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine...sts-block-during-pokemon-x-and-y-development/

Sugimori added that the flagship Fairy Pokemon Sylveon had also been designed by another Game Freak artist. "Sylveon was by [designer] Atsuko Nishida," Sugimori added. "Generally speaking, with the straight-on cute Pokemon like that, you can leave those to Nishida and you'll never go wrong that way. What you see in the game is pretty much exactly what she submitted to me; I gave it the OK immediately. I think Nishida definitely has a thing for Eevee in general, so this is a design that's already gone through several iterations in her mind, I'm sure!"

Not sure who designed Grimer, but I found out the artist of that card as I had that EXACT card in Japanese. Her artwork is freakin' amazing. She loves using watercolors it says.

Kagemaru Himeno

UsBFRFJ.jpg
vNHsgNVm.jpg
fFHKCFY.jpg

Her best card:

PidgeotJungle8.jpg

Pidgeot NEVER looked so majestic, I was in awe since day 1. o_O

TrickRoom

Hometown Story initially turned me off because it looked like someone was trying to knock off the "cutesy creature" style in a way that seemed too close to Pokemon.

welp.

Top Bottom