• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turok 2 (canceled 360/PS3) Art/Renders/Screens - Feathers, Scales, and Spikes, Oh My!

Fergie

Banned
Some really cool art. Pretty disappointed its cancelled. I haven't played much of the Turok series but enjoyed what I did.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Fucking A.

Turok 2008 is very underrated.

And Turok 2: Seeds of Evil would be the best next gen remake ever.

Turok on PS3/360 looked awesome, but it was no Turok. No big, crazy guns, no gun wheal, crazy mutated enemies, etc. They even limited the game to two guns like other shooters. It was really disappointing.

Dereck

1pedrwy.jpg
These look really dope.

Jawmuncher

Underrated? It's a pretty bland FPS, and definitely an insult to the Turok name. What's underrated about it at all?

I'm in the camp of it being underrated. I still stand by the fact that the sci-fi re-imagining for the series was great. Especially after the ridiculousness the series encountered with Turok Evolution. Besides that (Which is one of my main reasons for enjoying) the knife executions and using the dinosaurs to attack enemies for the time was a lot of fun. Also the MP was pretty damn fun to boot especially with the dinosaurs running around the map.

Nunchucks

Banned
I'm in the camp of it being underrated. I still stand by the fact that the sci-fi re-imagining for the series was great. Especially after the ridiculousness the series encountered with Turok Evolution. Besides that (Which is one of my main reasons for enjoying) the knife executions and using the dinosaurs to attack enemies for the time was a lot of fun. Also the MP was pretty damn fun to boot especially with the dinosaurs running around the map.

Forgot about Turok Evolution, lol. And I never played the online, but as an FPS game it was just so... bleh. I got it a couple months later for $20 and I still felt like I paid too much.

Jawmuncher

Forgot about Turok Evolution, lol. And I never played the online, but as an FPS game it was just so... bleh. I got it a couple months later for $20 and I still felt like I paid too much.

I don't blame you. It's definitely not for everyone. So i can understand the reasoning for a lot of the people who didn't enjoy it.

But the series was always sci-fi.

Jawmuncher

But the series was always sci-fi.

True but as odd as it is to say I much enjoyed the more "grounded" sci-fi.
Turok 1 through evolution was all over the place with time portals, cyborgs, mutants, aliens, etc.

Was the online just standard TDM/F4A/CTF/etc or was there anything unique about it?

It was just standard MP modes, but like I said there were dinosaurs or other creatures on the map which added a lot of fun in certain circumstances. Also the knife melee added a lot since it was a one hit kill if you got close. A lot of fun to be had in matches from sneaking up on people and the like. If anything maybe it was just really fun for me since aside from Dino Crisis it was everything I ever wanted out of a game with dinos.

Burt

Never played the Turok reboot. Was it a bad game or just too generic to stand out in the FPS crowd?

Jawmuncher

Never played the Turok reboot. Was it a bad game or just too generic to stand out in the FPS crowd?

Depends on who you ask. Though general GAF talk usually puts its into the generic pile. As I said earlier though the game sold well enough.
Nothing amazing but definitely not a bomba. The cancellation is more related to Disney jumping off the video game business wagon.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dinosaur design is really cool. I wonder if Bish was working on this one too.
Yes, I was. It was going in a great direction when canceled. Btw, those cover mockups weren't part of the package, somebody must have put those together later.

Still, from pain comes something cool. Keep your fingers crossed for me, wouldja?

Rights have reverted back to Classic Media, afaik.

Jawmuncher, to answer your question - this iteration is dead. The amount of hoops you'd have to jump through would make it completely non-viable from a commercial aspect, and that's assuming that Disney would even want to give up the code rights. That is locked in a vault forever. Funny, just last week I was out for coffee with a couple of the concept artists and dinosaur modellers from T2 taking about the project...I wonder who released this material. Wasn't me!

Yes, I was. It was going in a great direction when canceled. Btw, those cover mockups weren't part of the package, somebody must have put those together later.

Still, from pain comes something cool. Keep your fingers crossed for me, wouldja?

I'm just super bummed this didn't pan out. I really dig the Dino design, it really takes the monstrous style and makes it incredibly appealing.

Fingers crossed.

spanks

Wasn't this supposed to be open-world? Man, that would've been cool if so.

Why was it canceled?

I heard it was because they wanted to divert all resources to rushing the Tron game out to coincide with the movie release. Then it sold like crap so they closed down the studio.

Minion101

Banned
Seeds of Evil would have been up there with Goldeneye if they were given the time to develop the game. Hell just some more polish would have made a significant difference.

NR1

Why does the Ghostbusters theme song start to play at the end of that video clip??? I'm not familiar with the Turok series... Is there a supernatural element to the games?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wasn't this supposed to be open-world? Man, that would've been cool if so.
Nope.

the feathers are beautiful!!!
*brofist* it wasn't even an issue when we were in the throes of character design when it came down to dinosaurs - feathers were always going to be part of the mix. Fun fact - the lead designer is now over at Capcom Vancouver kicking ass with Dead Rising 3 - another reason why Xbone owners should be very excited about that game's release. Really smart guy who taught me a lot.

Seriously, the mix of the more mutated, vicious look with feathers and vibrant colors is so fucking good. They managed to show feathered Dinosaurs don't have to look like diseased Turkeys!

xclaw

It pains me to know the rights aren't with a game developer, even more so that I can't play another Propaganda Turok. I'll admit the first one wasn't what I was expecting as a Turok fanatic but I could sense the setting up of something larger.

I just love looking at the art, screen and imagining the what could.....

Here's to hoping more leaks happen, shame anything has to be locked up somewhere when there's no chance it'll ever get actually made.

Paskil

I want to use laser and plasma weapons on dinosaurs. It would be really cool if someone could make that happen.

Rights have reverted back to Classic Media, afaik.

Jawmuncher, to answer your question - this iteration is dead. The amount of hoops you'd have to jump through would make it completely non-viable from a commercial aspect, and that's assuming that Disney would even want to give up the code rights. That is locked in a vault forever. Funny, just last week I was out for coffee with a couple of the concept artists and dinosaur modellers from T2 taking about the project...I wonder who released this material. Wasn't me!

*cries*

Didn't know he was a game developer.

What else has he done?
I know he's mentioned in the past that he worked on the PS1 version of Need For Speed Presents: The Need For Speed, one of my favorite games of all time. Not sure if he worked on the original 3DO version, I'm pretty sure he specifically mentioned the PS1 port. At any rate, for this he will always have my gratitude. Absolutely adored that game.

Unicorn

:D

Also, I'm glad this stuff came out. I remember being heartbroken when I heard it was cancelled at the initial time. With not much info or media about it, I'm sort of glad and bitter I can see more of it now.

In Bish we trust.

I completely forgot about the Turok reboot. All I remember about the game is the thread with pictures from some event promoting the game and the epic picture of some kid with two "Turok Babes".

Top Bottom