• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC WORLD (Canned JP4 game) - Live-Action Trailer

Update: Its from both a game and a movie. lol

Via Badassdigest:

Last week we learned the title of Jurassic Park 4 - it's to be called Jurassic World. Immediately after that some video from this summer's Star Wars Celebration in Germany was recontextualized; it was a pitch reel for something also called Jurassic World. The internet exploded: was this a look at what we might see in the new film coming in 2015?

Almost as soon as the video hit it was debunked. We were told, via official channels, that it was a proof of concept for a video game that never went anywhere. The end. Right? Not quite.

Here's the truth: that Jurassic World teaser was for a movie. And a video game. It was part of a proposal for a big, multimedia relaunch of the Jurassic Park franchise that was headed by Iain McCaig, the guy who designed Darth Maul. I have talked to sources who worked on the reel and they have confirmed with me that it was absolutely intended to show off ideas for a new film, one where dinosaurs would begin attacking California - basically a bigger scale version of Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

But it was also going to be a game and have an internet component. All of these aspects would be tied together to tell one big new franchise story, in the great transmedia tradition of the 00s. Which makes sense, as this pitch reel is from 2011, and the concept was kicking around before the reel was made.

The reel that ended up online was very specifically made for Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall, the big producers behind the series. Spielberg is a busy guy with a ton of projects going on at any time; one of the best ways to grab his interest is to come to him with something immediate, visual and visceral. The reel, reminiscent of the Dinosaurs Attack! trading card series, is all of that. It's also rough, because it was quickly put together to get across a basic concept, not be a true showpiece for audiences outside the producing team.

Did it work? Well, this version of Jurassic World didn't get made. Iain McCaig is off working with Bad Robot on the new Star Wars films. But the franchise is back in action in cinematic form: could the title mean that the original concept is still in play? I suspect not, and that it was chosen from a list of potential titles that Universal already had laying around. But if the original Jurassic World concept is happening, expect something much pulpier and boys-adventure than the previous three films.

--

The original trailer was taken down, but here's a re-uploaded one.

G5OgFEZ.png

CPjhcqm.png

rgro4Ut.png

8nqGZW2.png

03h7MRN.png

Here's what those involved with JP4 had to say:

ibfpE0GrtXZPWd.gif

( I had originally started another thread a few days ago, but at that point it was uncertain if it was official and was thought to be part of the movie. I had PMd GhaleonEB about moving the thread, but he suggested just starting a new one).

---

If the entire game was just open-world antics on an island, probably playing as a dinosaur - it could've been interesting. Depending on who actually developed it.

Does anyone know who may have been working on this? I know the project had some bigger names from the movie and paleo fields, but what game dev was on this?

Unless it was a smaller dev working on some sort of viral/social media game tie-in, I feel like someone out there should have heard about this.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Does anyone know who may have been working on this? I know the project had some bigger names from the movie and paleo fields, but what game dev was on this?

Unless it was a smaller dev working on some sort of viral/social media game tie-in, I feel like someone out there should have heard about this.
This seems really high quality for a game pitch, honestly. I have a hard time believing it is not for a film.

Wonder what was the idea for the game—you play as a dinosaur or something?

To set the record straight this was a student project at Stan Winston Studios that was shown at Celebration Europe along with some other short film type things. It's just a coincidence it uses the same name as the new movie.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
To set the record straight this was a student project at Stan Winston Studios that was shown at Celebration Europe along with some other short film type things. It's just a coincidence it uses the same name as the new movie.
This makes a lot more sense.

Don't doubt that someone has pitched a GTA-style game at some point though.

This seems really high quality for a game pitch, honestly. I have a hard time believing it is not for a film.

Wonder what was the idea for the game—you play as a dinosaur or something?

I no longer believe it was a pitch, but rather something a tad further along in the project. I am also guessing its not a traditional game, and its main intent was to promote JP4, but I may be wrong.

Nope. Its official, it (was) a JP4 tie in. If the tweets from those involved aren't enough, you'll have to take my word. Sadly, while I can't elaborate further, I do know it was a real project.

I no longer believe it was a pitch, but rather something a tad further along in the project. I am also guessing its not a traditional game, and its main intent was to promote JP4, but I may be wrong.

Nope. Its official, it (was) a JP4 tie in. If the tweets from those involved aren't enough, you'll have to take my word. Sadly, while I can't elaborate further, I do know it was a real project.

I really don't think it is a video game pitch though and shouldn't be in the gaming section. Video game pitches would use test renderings, art, etc. not live action

I really don't think it is a video game pitch though and shouldn't be in the gaming section. Video game pitches would use test renderings, art, etc. not live action

Trust me, I thought the same thing initially, but I did my research. Also, Colin himself confirmed it was real, prior to his involvement and in fact from a game.

cuyahoga

Trust me, I thought the same thing initially, but I did my research. Also, Colin himself confirmed it was real, prior to his involvement and in fact from a game.
Colin could also be confused. There have been like five attempts at a JP4 film by now.

TasTokyo

why would you surf if you knew there were huge dinosaurs going around eating people

He probably didn't know?

Also this and the Turok 2 news coming out. Why can't we get Dino games? Even that recent HD remake of the hunting game has no inverted Y axis making it almost unplayable for me.

TasTokyo

T-Rex running through San Diego, i assure you the world knows there's some huge buzzards flyin around eating people.

That's a lot of guess work though. For all we know the T-rex happened, they knew about dinosaurs but then they thought they were all staying on the island.

Also why surf if you know there could be sharks? Would a few extra animals in the world make a huge difference?

Which Turok 2 news?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678673
Concept art and a little cgi footage from a cancelled title

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That looks pretty crappy. Also seems odd to say 'Creating isn't easy' like that doesn't allow any criticism?

For example, Jurassic Park Trespasser is, by almost all means, a bad game. It's not good. It controls poorly. But it days some things that were incredible in 1998, like the object physics before Half Life 2 and some of the shadow work. Trespasser should have been the basic blueprint for how a Jurassic Park game should have been. It's nearly survival horror but without jump scares. This just looks like MOVIE GAME.

Thanks for the laughs so early in the morning. Cannot unsee now. They better not use that logo a the final one for the movie when/if it eventually comes out.

Look at the OP, the current official logo is at the bottom. But I agree, I now can't unsee that or stop laughing, haha.

Ha, I was right. It was both for a game and movie, and was part of a huge JP relaunch plan across multiple mediums.

Via Badassdigest:

Last week we learned the title of Jurassic Park 4 - it's to be called Jurassic World. Immediately after that some video from this summer's Star Wars Celebration in Germany was recontextualized; it was a pitch reel for something also called Jurassic World. The internet exploded: was this a look at what we might see in the new film coming in 2015?

Almost as soon as the video hit it was debunked. We were told, via official channels, that it was a proof of concept for a video game that never went anywhere. The end. Right? Not quite.

Here's the truth: that Jurassic World teaser was for a movie. And a video game. It was part of a proposal for a big, multimedia relaunch of the Jurassic Park franchise that was headed by Iain McCaig, the guy who designed Darth Maul. I have talked to sources who worked on the reel and they have confirmed with me that it was absolutely intended to show off ideas for a new film, one where dinosaurs would begin attacking California - basically a bigger scale version of Jurassic Park: The Lost World.

But it was also going to be a game and have an internet component. All of these aspects would be tied together to tell one big new franchise story, in the great transmedia tradition of the 00s. Which makes sense, as this pitch reel is from 2011, and the concept was kicking around before the reel was made.

The reel that ended up online was very specifically made for Steven Spielberg, Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall, the big producers behind the series. Spielberg is a busy guy with a ton of projects going on at any time; one of the best ways to grab his interest is to come to him with something immediate, visual and visceral. The reel, reminiscent of the Dinosaurs Attack! trading card series, is all of that. It's also rough, because it was quickly put together to get across a basic concept, not be a true showpiece for audiences outside the producing team.

Did it work? Well, this version of Jurassic World didn't get made. Iain McCaig is off working with Bad Robot on the new Star Wars films. But the franchise is back in action in cinematic form: could the title mean that the original concept is still in play? I suspect not, and that it was chosen from a list of potential titles that Universal already had laying around. But if the original Jurassic World concept is happening, expect something much pulpier and boys-adventure than the previous three films.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
So it was going to be a surfing simulation where you try to avoid getting eaten by Pterodactyls? Sold. Day one purchase.

You could add dinosaurs to any game and it would make it instantly more marketable. I'm surprised they're rarely included in modern releases. I remember crawling through the jungle in Far Cry 1 wondering why they went with zombie super soldiers as opposed to using dinosaurs as enemies. I'd much rather shoot a Raptor with a rocket launcher.

I definitely bet were going to see some Jurassic World games come 2015. We'll probably see more info when we finally get more info on the movie. I just hope it entails something decent and not just ios fare.

I'm hoping we get something larger scale like this project though.

Top Bottom