• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My MGSV TGS Demo 1 impressions!

Batzi

Banned
If you haven't seen it here's the best version online while waiting for the official HD version to go live: http://www.gamespot.com/tgs/new-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-footage-6414685/

My impressions:

The presentation opened up with the same GZ trailer that was presented at PAX last year. Improvements can be obviously noticed in terms of lighting, draw distance and higher quality textures. This post over here can give you an idea and a screenshot comparison: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82719285&postcount=305

The trailer was much better overall. Now moving on to the gameplay.

Everything looked amazing and smooth and Big Boss was moving smoothly and the animations in most cases was really good and you can tell Kojima is taking a more realistic approach as far as animations go.

However, two animations were kinda odd when I first saw them:

1- When Big Boss jumps off the cliff, he lands on the ground. It's not the jumping that I have a problem with (looked funny and cool) but it is the landing that was a bit odd. It didn't feel like he jumped from a high cliff, the force on the ground was almost non-existent. I am sure this will be sorted out eventually but thought it was something worth mentioning.

2- When he throws the guard off that tower. It looked as if the whole process of approaching the guard was somehow fast forwarded and you see Big Boss throwing him over as if he had a very long arm or something. Again, most likely it will be fixed. PW did a better job and I am sure MGSV can pull this off again.

Bullet Time

I loved it. Many of you are saying that this will make the game much easier..is it really? I mean the slow motion was not there in previous MGS games but I am willing to bet on everything precious that I remember having 2-3 secs of reaction time on my part to prevent an alert phase from going off once a guard spotted me from far.

Bullet Time will not be present at all times and will definitely not be there every time you are about to get spotted. According to the European press, they asked Kojima about it and he said it happens once in a while and it is only in specific moments. Traditional alert phases are still in the game and you can still get spotted like in previous MGS games so please kindly stop this myth.

Also remember that Bullet Time on higher difficulties won't be present at all.

PS: Exclamation marks over the enemy head is still present.

ibzVD8Dp8tJXmj.gif

Enemy Tag

So we had radar in previous MGS games. The radar gave us the ability not to only see where the enemy was on the map but to tell us exactly where he was looking so we knew every step the enemy was taking and his vision field. I didn't see any of you hypocrites out there complaining about that?

But when they mention "like Splinter Cell" everyone gets angry and starts bashing.

I personally think that Radar was a lot easier than enemy tag why? Because enemies in MGSV are not tagged by default. If you don't want to know where they are then simply DO NOT TAG THEM. In previous MGS games you had to play on higher difficulties to remove the radar. In MGSV it's the player's choice to either see their enemies on the map or not without affecting the difficulty of the game. It is YOUR choice.

Kojima was simply showing you that this feature in the game exists.

Health Regeneration and Blood Splattering

What's new about that again? It was present since MGS3. You take a hit and your health starts regenerating again without rations. The speed at which this regeneration occurs depends on the game difficulty. The lower the difficulty the faster your health regenerates. Again don't see how that is different from previous Metal Gear.

You guys were saying that rations are no longer in the game. Says who? Did Kojima confirm it? NO. Why do you guys exaggerate on the smallest detail is beyond me.

As far as the blood splattering goes, at the end of the demo, Big Boss was getting hit, I didn't see blood anywhere did you?

According to EU gaming press they said that the blood splatter happens in a more realistic way and it is not like COD or Uncharted. Again, let's wait and see how it turns out.

Graphics

The better the quality of that stream gets the better the game looks. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous and everything looks smooth and fluid. I am still waiting for the HD upload from KONAMI but so far everything looks pretty and yes that was running on a next-gen hardware. High resolution textures on the ground and on characters (Helmet) can be noticed and that is not possible on a PS3 at ~60fps specially in an open world game.

The lighting and physics looked absolutely stunning too! Big Boss carrying the POW/Guard looked very realistic too:

icKUw8vtlAVCt.gif

The body is not still when it is on his back. You can see the legs and arms moving as Big Boss moves.

I loved the time when he was sprinting as he was trying to approach the helicopter. That's definitely running on PS4.

BTW Kojima was clear when he said only the resolution and FPS would change from current to next-gen. Otherwise don't expect a big leap.

The only thing I didn't like much was the hair. It did look current-gen hair.

I am going to wait until the HD version comes out and see how things change but so far I love it! I can't wait to see the daylight demo tomorrow!

Vire

Stahp

First the MGSV has better driving than GTA V thread and now this.

Sounding very desperate, why does your impressions deserve an entire thread when you haven't played the game and have seen the same exact footage as everyone else? It's like you gotta go tit for tat with the dissapointment thread.

Batzi

Banned
Stahp

Sounding very desperate, why does your impressions deserve an entire thread when you haven't played the game and have seen the same exact footage as everyone else? It's like you gotta go tit for tat with the dissapointment thread.

My impressions are based on the damn demo presentation. The GTA thing was a joke.

Bailers

Thanks, always nice to hear from someone who's there their opinion of new games, especially running on new hardware.

The speed at which this regeneration occurs depends on the game difficulty. The lower the difficulty the faster your health regenerates.
Do you have sources for these 2 statements.

Also, thanks for the gamespot link it is a lot better than the other linked video.

Dahbomb

I hate when people use the excuse of "don't use it of you don't like it!"

Even if I don't like something, if it's the most effecient way to play the game then I would use it. If tagging is allowed then I will use it to gain an upperhand in the game. That's how games are played, no one wants to play around with self imposed limitations or handicaps.

Timeaisis

Looks great still. This is the first I'm hearing of the health regeneration thing, but that was in MGS3 and not in 4. We'll see how it pans out.

Nibel

So is the driving better than let's say Gran Turismo

Looked very Ridge Racer to me, even though it seems obviously inspired by FORZA

Wall bumping reminded me of Mario Kart

Wait are your impressions based on the same video all of us just watched or are you actually at TGS?

it was in MGS3, MGS4 and PW.

I must be nuts I can't remember there being a full health regen in any MGS. I'm not saying its a big deal but I certainly don't ever remember it.

Batzi

Banned
Wait are your impressions based on the same video all of us just watched or are you actually at TGS?

I must be nuts I can't remember there being a full health regen in any MGS. I'm not saying its a big deal but I certainly don't ever remember it.

same video you guys watched. My thoughts basically.

Nibel

I read through all of this and I expected that you played the game at TGS - but you are only witness of the same stuff as we are

And all the headlines of each paragraph that you chose indicate that all the negative feedback today hit your MGS fanboy nerve

no one wants to play around with self imposed limitations or handicaps.

I think I shouldn't send you a speed run of the guy who plays Dark Souls without watching etc. :lol

ss_lemonade

2- When he throws the guard off that tower. It looked as if the whole process of approaching the guard was somehow fast forwarded and you see Big Boss throwing him over as if he had a very long arm or something. Again, most likely it will be fixed. PW did a better job and I am sure MGSV can pull this off again.
Noticed this too right away. Looked like the guard teleported to the front of the ladder

noobasuar

Banned

Even if I don't like something, if it's the most effecient way to play the game then I would use it. If tagging is allowed then I will use it to gain an upperhand in the game. That's how games are played, no one wants to play around with self imposed limitations or handicaps.

Exactly. Games need to be desingned around core concepts that aren't compromised. I hate this whole trend of "this game is built for every single person with thumbs. Please for the love of god buy it."

We have a million MGSV topics, so I have to ask, is this guy a professional? If not why is this thread allowed to exist? Shouldn't this just be another post in a thread about MGSV? Why does this guys opinion need it's own topic?

beast786

Stahp

What exactly warranted a new thread? I don't see any new information in your post. Were you at the actual presentation?
Need sources for these 2 statements.

Also, thanks for the gamespot link it is a lot better than the other linked video.

I'm still not sure why your impressions were worth making a thread over.

Did you just make a thread for your impressions of a fucking video?

Have we actually hit that point?

We have a million MGSV topics, so I have to ask, is this guy a professional? If not why is this thread allowed to exist? Shouldn't this just be another post in a thread about MGSV? Why does this guys opinion need it's own topic?

OP...why...

You guys know better than thread whinning.

Thanks for the impression. I am very excited and game looks awesome

Dahbomb

I probably should clarify what I said.

If you are purposely ignoring features and mechanics in the game just to make it more fun or challenging that is a problem and more often than not a game is not well designed around it.

Of course I enjoy MGS games and don't think this will be a problem in MGSV... but I don't like this mentality of "don't like it don't use it" when such mechanics are how the game is balanced around as a whole. I mean look at what happened to the Auction House in Diablo 3.

And I have no problems imposing limitations on yourself after you have mastered a game... I am talking about imposing limits when you first play the game. I rather enjoy doing my knife/pistol only walkthrough in RE4 and my EI/FE only walkthrough in DMC1 but this is after I have explored all options and beaten the game on all difficulties many times.

I'm going to ask again if you have sources for these statements or just made them up, because if its the former it would quell a lot of doubt seen in the main thread.
Originally Posted by Batzi

The speed at which this regeneration occurs depends on the game difficulty. The lower the difficulty the faster your health regenerates.

edit: you're right beast, it wasnt necessary for me to be rude to the OP about that.

pa22word

Yay prerelease apologists to the rescue! That GTA V article was so right, jesus...

Also for the record the health regeneration in MGS3/4/PW is absolutely nothing like the system seen in the MGSV trailers, which is more in line with something like CoD than MGS3's "lay in a corner for 15 mins to regen your health bar" style slow regen.

Tookay

Oh really?

beast786

Thread whining?

Holy shit this place has achieved parody status.

Sorry, I accidently included your post in it. But for the rest

We're at the point now where people are preempting someone else's hypothetical claim that a new thread isn't thread-worthy. It's the point of madness.

By replying claiming that a thread isn't thread-worthy (or any insane meta versions of this) you are stifling new thread creation, derailing what threads do get posted, and further encouraging people to make ridiculous, bloated, all-encompassing megathreads for every possible subject just to avoid the whiners.

This is over.

Do not whine about a thread not being thread-worthy, or that you saw it on Reddit, or that someone else is about to whine about it not being thread-worthy, or anything along those lines. If something is not up to your standards, just don't reply, and it will fall off the first page within a few seconds, as it is supposed to.

The constant meta-discussions need to end. Address subjects and arguments, and participate straightforwardly or don't at all. Your commentary on someone's posting habits isn't welcome. Your commentary about someone being banned in the thread or some previous unrelated thread isn't welcome. I don't want to enter a social issues thread and see half of the replies be commentary about when a particular poster is going to show up.

Create new threads, and discuss things. Put in a little bit of effort, not a bare youtube link, but don't make a damned Official Thread just because you wrote a paragraph. In fact, how about you don't make any |OT|s at all. If your thread sucks we'll lock it. It's as simple at that. Let the moderators do their job.

4lejandro

I think people are confusing health regen and "there's no health bar per se, but the screen gets all strawberry jelly-ish on the borders, then goes black and white and then 5 seconds later everything is back to normal, providing you didn't get shot again", health regen (with a depleting health bar that can only regen so much) has indeed been in MGS since Snake Eater. Tried my best to explain :3

I personally think that Radar was a lot easier than enemy tag why? Because enemies in MGSV are not tagged by default. If you don't want to know where they are then simply DO NOT TAG THEM

I take issue with this. The game is balanced for the tools you have available. Unless there's a difficulty which disables this or an incentive to not use it, there's no point in limiting yourself to have a "truer" stealth experience.

BadWolf

Health isn't even an issue in MGS outside of boss battles and some action scenes (and even then you usually get rations in the area) so I'm not sure why health regeneration is even worth discussing, especially if you play stealth.

I take issue with this. The game is balanced for the tools you have available. Unless there's a difficulty which disables this or an incentive to not use it, there's no point in limiting yourself to have a "truer" stealth experience.

Like an achievement? Some people will do anything for an achievement. You could say unless there is some reward for not killing anyone in the game, it's not worth doing, but some people actually still like challenging themselves without the promise of some shiny penny at the end.

Top Bottom