• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 3 ways to play: use firearms, use traps, sneak & avoid the monsters

Or mix and match!

(Stolen from the other thread, I thought it is big enough news to make a new one!)

I was worried this would play almost identically to RE4 (not a bad thing at all, but not quite what I'm looking for in a survival horror game).

But apparently you can choose your own play style!! http://www.oxm.co.uk/62482/features...eation-of-xbox-ones-first-horror-game/?page=2

Q: How do resources work in the game?

Shinji Mikami: We have traditional firearms in the game, but nothing fancy, because it's traditional. And our moves are quite limited, as you said. As an accent, we have traps that you could place - multiple type of traps, too - or in the game, you see traps, you disarm them.

Q: How do you use the traps? Are they just for those siege moments?

Shinji Mikami: You could use the traps pretty much any time. It's a play option. You either use the firearm to play the game or you use traps to beat creatures.

Or you can use sneaking to just avoid creatures, so more tactical and strategic. You can sneak through most of the game. Sneak, set a trap and hide.

I didn't expect that you can sneak through most of the game, or that you can use traps in all of your encounters, at all!

Or you can use sneaking to just avoid creatures, so more tactical and strategic. You can sneak through most of the game. Sneak, set a trap and hide.

Sounds great, but why only most of the game? I guess this mean there will set-pieces that force you to confront creatures?

Anyway, very happy to hear it supports different play-styles. Would love some new footage showcasing each play style.

Sounds great, but why only most of the game? I guess this mean there will set-pieces that force you to confront creatures?

Anyway, very happy to hear it supports different play-styles. Would love some new footage showcasing each play style.

No sneaking from dogs jumping through windows.

Nice, I want to set a bear trap and have that monster with the chainsaw run over it and have his leg trapped, sounds more fun than using guns

synce

I trust Mikami will make a good game, but ANY game where you have the option to just unload on the enemies isn't horror. The scariest thing about Amnesia, Slender, etc. is knowing that you have no way to defend yourself.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hopefully the game is well balanced so the non lethal/sneaking feel right, many games try this multiple paths/styles fail miserably because developers design them first as shooter then add the other paths/styles then everything fall apart.

I trust Mikami will make a good game, but ANY game where you have the option to just unload on the enemies isn't horror. The scariest thing about Amnesia, Slender, etc. is knowing that you have no way to defend yourself.

I kinda disagree. Well, it depends. If you can go through the entire game playing like RE4, yes, but if you have to pick and choose your battles I think that could really add to the tension.

Just saying, I felt tense and scared in RE3 because I was constantly thinking about my long term survival, trying to keep a decent stock of healing items and ammo and whatnot. I just got kinda annoyed with Amnesia, there's nothing particularly smart about how the enemies are handled and the puzzles weren't really all that grand either.

IMO, putting the pressure of choice, the actual thought of failure, on the player is what can create some really awesome horror. Like in RE4 when you fight guys, you're just fighting them. You think about how you'll fight them sure but there isn't much of a question as to whether or not you should. When you're not even sure if firing a shot is the right decision, it can be stressful, and I love the satisfaction of getting through situations like that.

sublimit

Banned
If the game gives me sufficient ammo and the ability to use traps to kill enemies then why would i want to avoid them??
I hope ammo is really scarce otherwise it's not a survival horror game.

I kinda disagree. Well, it depends. If you can go through the entire game playing like RE4, yes, but if you have to pick and choose your battles I think that could really add to the tension.

Just saying, I felt tense and scared in RE3 because I was constantly thinking about my long term survival, trying to keep a decent stock of healing items and ammo and whatnot. I just got kinda annoyed with Amnesia, there's nothing particularly smart about how the enemies are handled and the puzzles weren't really all that grand either.

IMO, putting the pressure of choice, the actual thought of failure, on the player is what can create some really awesome horror. Like in RE4 when you fight guys, you're just fighting them. You think about how you'll fight them sure but there isn't much of a question as to whether or not you should. When you're not even sure if firing a shot is the right decision, it can be stressful, and I love the satisfaction of getting through situations like that.

That's actually pretty false. There are moments in the game where you have to choose your battles. You can blast your way through enemies sure but you spend a lot of resources doing so and make the next few parts harder until the game gives you more ammo. While its not as dire as say wasting all of your ammo/health in RE1 or RE2, its there.

Mupod

If the game gives me sufficient ammo and the ability to use traps to kill enemies then why would i want to avoid them??
I hope ammo is really scarce otherwise it's not a survival horror game.

I think the most important thing would be whether or not it has ammo drops etc from enemies. Er, come to think of it, do we know this already?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That's actually pretty false. There are moments in the game where you have to choose your battles. You can blast your way through enemies sure but you spend a lot of resources doing so and make the next few parts harder until the game gives you more ammo. While its not as dire as say wasting all of your ammo/health in RE1 or RE2, its there.

I can't think of any off the top of my head. I always kill everyone. (With the exception of any infinite spawn situations, but I can't remember if there are any.)

Really now? It's been a while, but I remember most of it being direct. Whelp, guess it's time for a replay!

I guess a better example would be Dead Space, where I really didn't get how anyone could get legit scared. Like, yeah, it looks creepy but just about every enemy is pretty directly put in front of you in a super obviously scripted manner to be killed.

I can't think of any off the top of my head. I always kill everyone. (With the exception of any infinite spawn situations, but I can't remember if there are any.)

Water Area in the Castle. Salazar's right hand if you're not prepared, early parts on the island, the helicopter section of the island, just to name a few. like i said you can just blow your way through the game but there are points where you may want to skip out on killing everyone.

Top Bottom