• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian retailer clearing Wii U's - $214 premium, $174 basic

Following from the New Zealand clearance a few months back, Dick Smith Australia is clearing out Wii U's for an unbeatable price.

image.jpg

Premiums are going for $214, Basics for $174. I managed to get myself a basic put aside for pick up tonight. I'm not sure if I even want the console, but for that price how could I refuse?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Good luck actually trying to get one.

Even if they do 'hold' it for you, they will sell it if someone comes in and asks for it.

Went to three stores at 9am and all sold out.

I feel like I got really lucky when I managed to get mine from a Dick Smith earlier in the year, as I was purchasing it the staff member told me he had bought five to sell.

Card Boy

Banned
Would EB match this? They are normally legendary in regards to price matching. I assume you would have to have a store with stock within 20kms or something though.

I was thinking about it for a second. But then I realised there is nothing I want to play on it. Also considering I've never owned a Nintendo console I have no nostalgic attachment to any of their franchises.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm looking at the JB/EB websites for games and just realised even at this price i wouldn't want one. This thing has like 3 pages of results for games and they are all shit i own already. The exclusives don't interest me outside Monster Hunter and i already have that game on the Wii.

elfinke

Saw this on OzBargain before brekky this morning. Been impossible to find stock in regional NSW. Good news is nearby businesses have been matching the price (HN in particular).

Still, even at that price, I couldn't bring myself to actually buy one this morning. DSE making room for nextgen console stock.

VOOK

Would EB match this? They are normally legendary in regards to price matching. I assume you would have to have a store with stock within 20kms or something though.

They won't I tried.

I was in a Best Buy in suburban St. Louis today, and I took a spin through the gaming section. I kept thinking I had somehow missed the Nintendo section. Then I found it. It's pretty much just a Skylanders and Wii - not Wii U - section. There were just three Wii U consoles and three Wii consoles on the shelf. Seriously there was like 5-ft wide WU area. Meanwhile space has already been cleared for both the XB1 and PS4. And they're not even out for nearly two more months. It's just a couple of pictures and logos.

Think about that. The biggest specialty electronics retailer in America would rather devote empty space to two consoles that do not exist than to Nintendo's existing, very real machine...

Good luck actually trying to get one.

Even if they do 'hold' it for you, they will sell it if someone comes in and asks for it.

Went to three stores at 9am and all sold out.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this is the case, but it's a pretty quiet store so fingers crossed.

Most stores wouldn't have had stock to begin with I'm sure.

Omni

But....oh right. I should be given the console.

Anyway, sounds like a great deal. Hope you Aussies can nab one.
Of course not.

I have the money. I could go down to Dick Smith and pick one up if I really want to... But it still doesn't seem worth it. IMO, as it currently stands the system itself doesn't have that much to offer. If and when Nintendo turns that around, I'll get one.

chadboban

I was thinking about it for a second. But then I realised there is nothing I want to play on it. Also considering I've never owned a Nintendo console I have no nostalgic attachment to any of their franchises.

Well, then you can enjoy them because they're great games instead of being driven by "nostalgic attachment". I mean this is basically two consoles for the price when you factor in backwards compatibility. Maybe Nintendo games just aren't for you but you'll never know unless you try em.

Man I wish I could get a Wii U for that price, I'd be all over that.

AzaK

I hate on the Wii U but at that price it's a no brainer really. Even if you play one or two games on it, eventually there'll be a real Zelda and Mario et all and that's worth $150

Bishop89

better price, but still laughable HDD and barely any games out for the system.
I wonder why they are clearing it out. Room for ps4/xbone or just plain ditching.

Temporarily out of stock on their website as well...so goodluck picking one up

AzaK

I was tempted, but no reason for me to get a Wii U, I don't think even SMT x FE can tempt me at this point.

Just make sure you're not being short sighted. The gaming library can only get better and at $150 it's almost giveaway pricing and I don't think It'll drop more any time soon.

Well, then you can enjoy them because they're great games instead of being driven by "nostalgic attachment". I mean this is basically two consoles for the price when you factor in backwards compatibility. Maybe Nintendo games just aren't for you but you'll never know unless you try em.

Man I wish I could get a Wii U for that price, I'd be all over that.
I didn't mean to imply the games weren't good games. But I have enough to play as is, and I have no inkling to play a new Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong etc. If I had some past association with Nintendo's franchises I may have bitten the bullet as I may be more infclined to want to play them, but since I don't it's an easy choice for me to make.
Especially with the next gen consoles being released within a couple of months.

Just make sure you're not being short sighted. The gaming library can only get better and at $150 it's almost giveaway pricing and I don't think It'll drop more any time soon.

Pretty much. You would be hard pressed to find a 360 or PS3 here for that price and they've been out for 1000 years.

Once the Wii U takes off, all of these retailers are going to regret basically giving the console away at these prices!!

I payed $349 USD for mine :(

My local has them in stock... I put a premium on hold, but I don't even know if I really want it ;)

What's the difference between the two models?

Darmik

My local has them in stock... I put a premium on hold, but I don't even know if I really want it ;)

What's the difference between the two models?

The premium has 32GB of storage, Nintendoland, a vertical stand and charging cradle. The basic has 8GB of storage.

Also you can add any USB external storage to add on top of those. So if you have a USB stick or hard drive lying around, you can use them. I have downloaded quite a few indie and virtual games on the Premium and still have around 8 gigs left.

I think it's a good buy personally. I like to play a wide variety of games though so I'm always the kind to own several platforms.

VOOK

Good place to ask this. Any restrictions on the hard drives the Wii U can use?

Needs to be 2GB or under, will need power unless you can get one with a Y-cable to use up both US ports.

I found one on eBay for like $3 (the cable that is) and it works 100%

freefornow

Gold Member
Has anyone gone to the store and bought one?

Was it sold out/fully in stock or what?

Best bet is to hit up regional stores. My local Dick Smith (regional SA) had 6 of each (Premium/Basic) sitting in the store. Not exactly running out the doors!!

Top Bottom