• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teasers & Full Trailer for Showtime's new horror series, 'Penny Dreadful'

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VWxT6GJyTM

Some of literature's most terrifying characters, including Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Gray and iconic figures from the novel Dracula ­are lurking in the darkest corners of Victorian London. PENNY DREADFUL is a frightening psychological thriller that weaves together these classic horror origin stories into a new adult drama.

Ok... so Dracula, Dr. Frankenstein, Dorian Grey, probably a werewolf, in a... psychological thriller?

Could be interesting.

Then again, this is Showtime. It could start interesting and turn into unadulterated shit.

Edit: Starring Eva Greene, Timothy Dalton, Josh Hartnett, and Billie Piper.

Also, created by John Logan

Btw NotTheGuyYouKill, you forgot to mention in the OP that this is created and (every episode will be) written by John Logan, writer of Gladiator, The Aviator, Hugo, and Skyfall.

It's got some really talented people behind (and in front of) it and it's got quite an interesting concept, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Mod Abuse:

how is Dorian Gray scary?

He's... fucking ugly? I dunno. Apparently he's just a jerk.

But hey! Eva Green's in this. Just read. Also, Billie Piper will be in it. And Josh Hartnett. Meh.

tumblr_lyzvnaHbPx1r08fklo1_500.jpg

Oh! AND TIMOTHY DALTON!?

Ok, I will watch this show.

hotfuzz7.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sounds like a more sober True Blood. Could be awesome. As long as they don't do any steam punk.

iammeiam

It will probably have a decent to great first season, everyone will love it, and then in season nine we'll all be wondering why we can't fucking stop watching its shambling corpse.

SHOWTIME!

It will probably have a decent to great first season, everyone will love it, and then in season nine we'll all be wondering why we can't fucking stop watching its shambling corpse.

SHOWTIME!

yeah that what I fear what would happen or it be cancel by season 3 like The Borgias and Brotherhood

Metalmarc

Dorian Gray umm nah, mummy yes, why not go for a classic trio? Because it's been done many times before? But if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Mind you i wasn't sure about a vampire, werewolf and a ghost living in a flat, but being human (uk) turned out great.

And it cant be because the mummy is due back in the cinema because there are many frankenstein movies coming out and of course theres a few vampire movies recently

Tokubetsu

Why would anyone bother with Showtime shows anymore? They're guaranteed to shit the bed if they last longer than a single season.

Dorian Gray umm nah, mummy yes, why not go for a classic trio? Because it's been done many times before? But if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Mind you i wasn't sure about a vampire, werewolf and a ghost living in a flat, but being human (uk) turned out great.

And it cant be because the mummy is due back in the cinema because there are many frankenstein movies coming out and of course theres a few vampire movies recently

According to Wikipedia, one of the cast members/characters is:

Simon Russell Beale as Ferdinand Lyle, an eccentric Egyptologist.[8]

I think we'll be getting mummies.

4018906313_827299176e.jpg

Interesting. We need more horror shows on TV. I'm anticipating season 3 of American Horror Story and I'll keep an eye on this series. Showtime usually has great shows so at least it's on a good network.

Interesting. We need more horror shows on TV. I'm anticipating season 3 of American Horror Story and I'll keep an eye on this series. Showtime usually has great shows so at least it's on a good network.

Showtime has shows that start great... and then shit the bed in a horrific and violent disease-like way. Weeds, Dexter, Homeland.

Sounds like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Good cast so it could be decent. Can't be any worse than the end of the last season of Once Upon a Time.

Wasn't "Penny Dreadful" the name of one of the Masters of Horror shorts? I don't understand the taking of that name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_dreadful

A penny dreadful (also called penny horrible, penny awful,[1] penny number and penny blood[n 1]) was a type of British fiction publication in the 19th century that usually featured lurid serial stories appearing in parts over a number of weeks, each part costing one (old) penny. The term, however, soon came to encompass a variety of publications that featured cheap sensational fiction, such as story papers and booklet "libraries". The penny dreadfuls were printed on cheap pulp paper and were aimed primarily at working class adolescents.[3]

Victorian supernatural pulp fiction crap.

This will either be amazing or a hot mess. Hope its an actual spooky atmospheric show with a pulpy and sexy edge, instead of a hot fucking mess like True Blood or American Horror Story.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Btw NotTheGuyYouKill, you forgot to mention in the OP that this is created and (every episode will be) written by John Logan, writer of Gladiator, The Aviator, Hugo, and Skyfall.

It's got some really talented people behind (and in front of) it and it's got quite an interesting concept, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

It's got some really talented people behind it (and in front of it) and it's got quite an interesting concept, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Didn't know that. But that is fantastic news. Makes me feel even more excited than just the genre and the cast. This could really be great.

will watch for Dalton :D
(but i'm not expecting much, too many supernatural vampires&co. series going on nowadays, where's all the space scifi!)

Why would anyone bother with Showtime shows anymore? They're guaranteed to shit the bed if they last longer than a single season.

while that's an obvious trend you should check out brotherhood which stayed true to itself until showtime cancelled it in third season due to low ratings (it got an ending though).

and also i'll watch this show for timothy fucking dalton. if it shits the bed in the second season then i'll bail

brotherhood had such good lead actors too :( fuck

The first two episodes will be directed by Juan Antonio Bayona (The Impossible, The Orphanage).

The premise and talent involved definitely sounds good to me, will watch!

vio

Josh Hartnett :/ Other than that sounds interesting. Could be good if they go for serious tone. Also setting sound very cool. Maybe something like this?
iFq72on.jpg

destrudo

Will watch the first season, and they bail out. It's showtime after all.

Oh who am I kidding, I will watch all 8 seasons and complain about it until the end. Although Eva Green will make it bearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom