• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Entertainment files trademark for "Heroes of the Storm" in NZ and EU

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On the 25th of September, Blizzard Entertainment filed through the New Zealand Intellectual Property Office a trademark for "Heroes of the Storm":

newzealandheroesofthezmssu.png

Source: http://www.iponz.govt.nz/app/Extra/Case/Browse.aspx?sid=635159231543831154

It's also been filed through OHIM (Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market) in Europe. The filing date is the same as for the filing in New Zealand but when the data became publicly available I don't know. The topic was anyway brought up by the poster MrWilson at MMO Champion today.

euheroesofthestormniu7i.png

Source: http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/en_SearchBasic?#

(Can't link directly as no documents have been uploaded yet, so search Trade mark No 012170791 if you wanna look at the filing)

The filing has yet to reach the US but it could potentially be uploaded to USPTO's site today or early next week.

For reference, the most recent expansion set of World of Warcraft, Mists of Pandaria, was filed on the 2nd of August 2011 and revealed on the 21st of October the same year.

Now, considering the filing for Heroes of the Storm mentioning "Downloadable electronic game software for use on portable electronic devices such as mobile and cellular phones, laptops, handheld computers, and tablet PCs.", many people believe that this isn't related to World of Warcraft. Suggestions range from an expansion to Heartstone to an entirely new series. Some have suggested another hoax.

Whatever it is, we'll know soon enough. BlizzCon 2013 starts on the 8th of November.

Iceblade

EXPANSION HYYYYYYPE.

Rösti;83864865 said:
For reference, the most recent expansion set of World of Warcraft, Mists of Pandaria, was filed on the 2nd of August 2011 and revealed on the 21st of October the same year.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
There is a mobile app for wow. Uses the Auction House and guild chat. This could be the expansion.

Magnus

WoW expansion plz

Ever wonder what happens if a trademark filing goes wrong and they can't get the name they need for an imminent product? They've already recorded voice, written scripts, etc around the title/name they have in mind. It'd seriously force a lot of reworking.

Jocoma

Neo Member
Does sound like a new name for their All-Star game.

Think the WoW expansion will be The Dark Below. That was trademarked back in August which fits the trend OP suggest.

Moff

so HOTS will be heart of the swarm and heroes of the storm? thats a bit silly
I actually would have liked BALLS as an official title

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i really hope blizzard looked at how saturated with straight up dotaclones the genre is and are considering something with a more unique feel. something like a similar format but each player controls a five member party or something - a micro fiend's wet dream.

mclem

Doesn't really sound like a WoW expansion name to me. I'd lean more in the direction of a BlizzDOTA renaming.

Cue lots of "I've got the HOTS for..."

Fularu

Banned
Sounds more like the first set of cards for Hearthstone

Would make a lot more sense than a WoW expansion called "Heroes of the storm"

Guessing it's a rename for BALLS. They've been looking for Community Managers for the game now, I wouldn't be surprised if the re-reveal is coming at Blizzcon.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
DOTA calls their playable characters 'Heroes', and this game has the same "X of the X" that DOTA uses. This is 100% going to be a Blizzard Allstars rename

Chittagong

Gold Member
WoW expansion plz

Ever wonder what happens if a trademark filing goes wrong and they can't get the name they need for an imminent product? They've already recorded voice, written scripts, etc around the title/name they have in mind. It'd seriously force a lot of reworking.

Before you file you usually do quite extensive trademark and connotation checks to ensure there are no major conflicts or unintended meanings for the trademark.

During the trademark checks you are likely to find some potential conflicts, in which case you would contact the trademark holders and try to negotiate. Or just risk it and put money aside on a rainy day fund (this is the way Apple does things).

Doesn't fit for WoW expansion.

Blizzard All-Stars is a bad name for a game, I can see this replacing that officially but like others have said, wtf were they thinking mixing it up with Heart of the Swarm.

Sounds like either a new name for Sons of the Storm or the name for Blizzard All-Stars. Maybe something related to Hearthstone. Doesn't sound like a WOW expansion, even though there's Stormwind and other storm stuff in WOW.

Thoraxes

Storm
Stormwitches
Stormcallers
Naga
Storms
Azshara

Varian wants to rebuild the Worgen homes, Zul'jin will probably do the same with the Goblins, both are sea-based.

domstah

Hearthstone is subtitled Heroes of Warcraft, maybe this is for a Hearthstone Expansion, or possibly someone has the rights to "Heroes of Warcraft" in those territories.

Why have Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft and Warcraft: Heroes of the Storm? Brand confusion, ho!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
i really hope blizzard looked at how saturated with straight up dotaclones the genre is and are considering something with a more unique feel. something like a similar format but each player controls a five member party or something - a micro fiend's wet dream.

I'd still bet on their super casual course that BALLS seemed to have developed. So I kind of doubt itll be micro heavy.

Top Bottom