• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idea Factory International (new branch of Idea Factory). established today

Volcynika

IDEA FACTORY INTERNATIONAL, INC. ESTABLISHED TODAY

LOS ANGELES, CA., September 30, 2013 - Today, the Japanese videogame developer and publisher located in Tokyo, Idea Factory Co., Ltd., announced the establishment of its new branch, Idea Factory International, Inc., in California, USA. Idea Factory Co., Ltd. has been releasing its videogame titles, such as the Hyperdimention Neptunia™, Record of Agarest War and Hakuoki series, in North America and Europe through third-party publishers. As it increases the volume of various content it wishes to make available globally, including video games, animation, and social apps, Idea Factory International, Inc. intends to focus on providing general and overall information regarding such Idea Factory properties to North American and European fans, as well as strengthen the Idea Factory brand around the globe.

Idea Factory International, Inc.
CEO: Harusato Akenaga
Website (soft launch): http://www.ideafintl.com

About Idea Factory Co., Ltd.
Idea Factory Co., Ltd. is a developer and publisher for video games, anime, and social network games. It provides services that emphasize the color of “Idea Factory” in various products by unifying their group’s marketing strategies. Its group companies include Compile Heart, Inc. and Design Factory, Inc. For more information, visit
http://www.ideaf.co.jp

Interesting....

duckroll

Wow, looks like the rumor of the huge N1 bailout is really true. Haru Akenaga must be "Mr A" who is the "North American Corporate Head" who resigned last year and is now helping with Idea Factory with Masahiro Yamamoto's new Vita RPG. He was also superviser on Mugen Souls Z so he's been working with them for a while.

RIP NIS.

Aytrial

bueno.jpg

Scum

Wow, looks like the rumor of the huge N1 bailout is really true. Haru Akenaga must be "Mr A" who is the "North American Corporate Head" who resigned last year and is now helping with Idea Factory with Masahiro Yamamoto's new Vita RPG. He was also superviser on Mugen Souls Z so he's been working with them for a while.

RIP NIS.

Damn! D:

Eusis

RIP NIS.
I wonder if a future of just licensing out their IP is viable? Though that basically means a skeleton crew while those who jumped ship and are at Idea Factory would probably be effectively the new NIS anyway. Do wonder about the future of their NA branch though, would be sort of funny if that somehow just became its own thing similar to Xseed or Aksys.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I'd say I'm sorry N1 is dying but hearing about how they were treating the employees makes me welcome Idea Factory with open arms.

Eusis

More importantly what's gonna happen with Danganronpa! (And NISA of course)
This is part of why I'm wondering if NISA could end up being more its own thing as NIS itself flounders. And he's been gone for almost a year now, so I doubt it'd affect Danganronpa short of a very soon, complete collapse, but I expect that'd take awhile.

Would be kind of amusing though if we saw them taking on more things like that and less the kind of fare you'd usually see out of Idea Factory, almost like if the parts people most likely didn't like got spun off.

fek

I just hope they can make some nice LEs like NISA has been doing. Other than that, damn, I'm starting to get really worried about NIS.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Whoa!! What the heck???

DAT NEPTUNIA MONEY.

I guess Idea Factory saw all the dollar bills they were missing out on and decided to take the helm of their franchises in the West.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
NIS has been putting out a LOT of titles, or presenting a lot of in-development ones as of late; could a cut in their workforce just = less output? They'd probably end up needed to do this to develop on upcoming consoles anyway, this could be an OK time for a shakeup, couldn't it?

It's cool that Idea Factory has a further reaching arm now, though.
(I still wanna play Spectral VS Generation!)
Would this actually mean some of their designs and ideas in games might be created with more "worldwide" appeal, as well? I wouldn't be against that at all, if done well.

I look forward to seeing what this all leads to. This is weird news, along with 5pb. announcing more intent to release games in the US. Looks much more likely to get certain niche JP games out in the US going forward...

Clov

This is... quite unexpected. I'm always up for more localization companies, but I hope NISA stays alive. At least for a little longer. I need my Super Danganronpa 2!

It'll be interesting to see if this company ends up localizing other companies games, along with Idea Factory and Compile Heart's titles.

duckroll

NIS has been putting out a LOT of titles, or presenting a lot of in-development ones as of late; could a cut in their workforce just = less output? They'd probably end up needed to do this to develop on upcoming consoles anyway, this could be an OK time for a shakeup, couldn't it?

It's cool that Idea Factory has a further reaching arm now, though.
(I still wanna play Spectral VS Generation!)
Would this actually mean some of their designs and ideas in games might be created with more "worldwide" appeal, as well? I wouldn't be against that at all, if done well.

I look forward to seeing what this all leads to. This is weird news, along with 5pb. announcing more intent to release games in the US. Looks much more likely to get certain niche JP games out in the US going forward...

I'm inclined to believe that the biggest reason this is happening is because the ex-Disgaea Team is now making games for Idea Factory and they want full monetization of that worldwide, basically replacing NIS' segment of the market.

t26

So who is more likely to bring over the Neptunia Vita game? I assume NISA still owns the translation for the original.

Tohsaka

Not gonna happen, a niche idol game for a niche console.

Neptunia Rebirth 1 and 2, sure that will happen, but Neptunia PP is not going to happen.

It's unlikely, but most people don't think we'd get Danganronpa or a localized Miku game. It likely wouldn't cost too much to localize Neptune PP as a PSN only release if they thought a retail one wasn't viable.

Hcoregamer00

It's unlikely, but most people don't think we'd get Danganronpa or a localized Miku game. It likely wouldn't cost too much to localize Neptune PP as a PSN only release if they thought a retail one wasn't viable.

Danganronpa had an anime and had quite a following in the USA before the anime came out, Miku had a concert at Anime Expo and also has quite a following in the Anime Convention Circuit.

Neptunia just got an anime, but it was influenced by the games and not this idol spinoff. Again, it is a niche within a niche.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Danganronpa had an anime that has quite a following in the USA, Miku had a concert at Anime Expo and also has quite a following in the Anime Convention Circuit.

Neptunia just got an anime, but it was influenced by the games and not this idol spinoff. Again, it is a niche within a niche.

The first episode aired two days before the US announcement so I say that assessment is a bit off.

Well they got the Imageepoch deal so as long as NIS Japan is around they will be fine.

Time and Eternity 2 you say?

Wasn't the game's localization announced before the anime aired? The US following was mostly based around the Let's Play on Something Awful, I thought.

The anime started in the same month as the announcement. Most of the US following started on the Let's Play and I guess Tumblr.

Hcoregamer00

The first episode aired two days before the US announcement so I say that assessment is a bit off.

Well, it had a following before the anime came out. I was doing photoshoots with cosplayers from the series 2 years before the anime came out :eek:

next year should be pretty full (they would have had to have signed deals long before any of the current rumors started happening, if they are true), but it's 2015 and afterward that worries me.

-potentially losing atlus (european business)
-potentially losing idea factory (neptunia franchise)
-losing gust (atelier franchise, ar tonelico franchise)
-less people in nisj (disgaea 5 is maybe the next big internal title?)

on the other hand they seem to have a working relationship with spike chunsoft and kodakawa if danganronpa and demon gaze are any indication. and their anime business has only been growing in recent years.

Yeah, the anime portion of NISA has been quite profitable. They carved quite a good market within the anime world.

AniHawk

Yeah it's kinda weird about how NISA will do since Atelier is gone too.

next year should be pretty full (they would have had to have signed deals long before any of the current rumors started happening, if they are true), but it's 2015 and afterward that worries me.

on the other hand they seem to have a working relationship with spike chunsoft and kodakawa if danganronpa and demon gaze are any indication. and their anime business has only been growing in recent years.

Nairume

Banned
like atlus, the us branch has been very successful the time it's been around. not sure what their future holds though.

They've been successful, but they've just lost two of their bigger licensees within a rather short window.

Granted, they aren't losing any *good* games because of this alone, but losing talent to Idea Factory can't make the situation any better for them or the main branch.

Idea Factory also has a pretty decent relationship with Spike, so there's no telling if they might be able to lure them away from NIS, too.

Eusis

Well they got the Imageepoch deal so as long as NIS Japan is around they will be fine.
This is a joke, right?

Seriously though I think Danganronpa may be a hint at as to their future: Disgaea may well be effectively decimated, Atelier's gone with KT and some of their ex-localizers (though that raises other issues), and Idea fatory will likely be handling it themselves unless that US company will be working with others to publish their games. However Danganronpa definitely appeals to some of their current/old base and the periphery one (which I'd probably count as) that may've liked some of their NIS titles and maybe SOME of the stuff they localized, but otherwise was mostly apathetic to their output. If they can get more of that they may be able to rope in that periphery audience as becoming part of their core.

So NISA lose Neptunia and Aksys lose Hakuoki, huh? Hmm, don't know what to think just yet.

Outside of games, NISA has a pretty decent foothold in the anime business, so I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Tohsaka

Danganronpa had an anime and had quite a following in the USA before the anime came out, Miku had a concert at Anime Expo and also has quite a following in the Anime Convention Circuit.

i know that the Neptune anime was inspired by the games, I've played all of them. I don't really expect the idol game to get localized but I wouldn't rule it out.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
i know that the Neptune anime was inspired by the games, I've played all of them. I don't really expect the idol game to get localized but I wouldn't rule it out.

They'd probably localize it to capitalize on things if sales are good since it has the same familiar characters the audience enjoys.

AniHawk

So NISA lose Neptunia and Aksys lose Hakuoki, huh? Hmm, don't know what to think just yet.

Outside of games, NISA has a pretty decent foothold in the anime business, so I wouldn't count them out just yet.

i don't think idea factory international is fully operational yet. they would need at least a couple people to handle marketing, operations, production (art + trailers), and translation + editing. and even that would mean moving a pace of about a game at a time. i wouldn't be surprised if you see these games sublicensed out to aksys and nisa for a while.

duckroll

Nippon Ichi is a listed company in Japan though, so we'll probably have some sort of forecast update in the near future. If they don't say anything at all to their shareholders, that would probably be an even worse sign.

i don't think idea factory international is fully founded yet. they would need at least a couple people to handle marketing, operations, production (art + trailers), and translation + editing. and even that would mean moving a pace of about a game at a time. i wouldn't be surprised if you see these games sublicensed out to aksys and nisa for a while.

Yeah I don't think this has an immediate impact on anything, but rather this is a longer term plan mainly for the game(s) they plan on releasing in 2014.

Top Bottom