• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbox One Can Certainly do 1080p/60FPS, Cloud Based “things” Incubating

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/03/phil-spencer-xbox-one-can-certainly-do-1080p60fps-primarily-cloud-based-things-are-incubating/

With recent announcements like Ryse: Son of Rome running natively at 900p, some have been asking if the Xbox One can really combine 1080p and 60 FPS, and why developers often don’t reach that goal. Others have been wondering just how far Microsoft is going to push the 300,000 cloud servers that costed them a pretty penny in investments to purchase Azure.

Head of Microsoft Game Studios Phil Spencer took to Twitter to answer both questions. First of all he explained that while the console can definitely achieve 1080p and 60 FPS, Art directors will decide on what shaders, effects and resolution (rez) to use to make the game look best, and obviously that may mean sacrificing the 1080p part if the overall effect is better.

He was also asked if we’ll ever see fully cloud-powered games, and he clarified that since the Xbox One has a local CPU and GPU most games will use those, but “things” (most probably he means games) that are primarily cloud based are indeed brewing.
jbz5lAD02ZLpDR.png

Additional tweets & more at the link.

Edit: Although not related to the dualshockers article. The xbox one pax event speaker mentioned a few things about the cloud. Most of the stuff we already knew.
http://youtu.be/EVYjSo3GJ3I?t=1m13s

"Where the magic really starts to happen is through the consoles cloud acceleration function. Essentially, for every xbox one you have connected in your living room, there is three more in the cloud."
"Now these specs are cool and all and they sound great, but what does it really mean in terms of new features versus what you already got on your xbox 360. First thing computational power, the cloud really enables something special here."

"Not only is the xbox one more powerful than the 360, but with the cloud we've future proofed that processing power. So we could continue to evolve that power over the next decade."

What do you guys think?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm thinking of the Family Guy episode with the pope and he goes SMITE THEM and nothing happens and then he goes, "He's a cookin' up something a-good"

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nobody doubts that it can do 1080p/60fps, only that it can do that without the games looking like marginally tarted up 360 games (see: Forza 5).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Incubation...

Reveal = Egg
E3 = Larva
180s = Cocoon
Fully realized cloud processing= Beautiful butterfly

I'll believe it when I see it. The hyperbole of the cloud has been non-stop so far, yet we haven't seen anything near the original claims.

Iwannaseethereceipts.gif

koutoru

Even Microsoft knows when to be realistic. A majority of games will obviously still use local power over internet, but it's a start.

CLEEK

60 fps cloud patches coming for all launch games running at 900p?

If that is a serious question, the answer is no.

You can't use remote 'cloud' processing to assist with local rendering. The latencies are too variable and far, far too high. A 60fps game has to complete all of its computation/rendering every 16.7ms (for one frame). The round trip to wherever the Azure server is located would probably be longer than this.

coldone

Why can't they stop shooting them selves again and again. Just shut up and get the games out. If there is a magic cloud, show a real working game.

Show a real game like BF4 running on Ultra settings@1080p using the cloud. No more BS please.

jaypah

Why can't they stop shooting them selves again and again. Just shut up and get the games out. If there is a magic cloud, show a real working game.

Show a real game like BF4 running on Ultra settings@1080p using the cloud. No more BS please.

I'm not sure that they've talked about cloud processing helping with graphics since around E3. Which, funnily enough, was when everybody called bullshit.

For those that don't know, he's likely talking about this: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-07/10/microsoft-lift-london-games

Interesting. Thanks.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
This cloud nonsense is so fuckin tiresome. Everyone knows it can't do anything substantial to even warrant its existance.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How big is that studio? 4 AAA games is too much.

They're not AAA games as we'd understand them. They're F2P games that will also tie in with other hardware (phones? browser?). I wouldn't get too excited.

This cloud nonsense is so fuckin tiresome. Everyone knows it can't do anything substantial to even warrant its existance.

You should write a memo to Amazon and Google to stop investing in something that 'can't do anything substantial to even warrant its existance', I'm sure they'd appreciate the warning.

Joemoe

Neo Member

This can already be done using using services like Gaikai or Onlive.

The FUD lies in their claims and implications that the "cloud" and can give a tangible performance boost to a game running on local hardware, which is nonsense.

There could be some cool things. I don't know why people are so damn cynical about the cloud. It's not hard to imagine some pretty interesting things from a large cloud infrastructure behind the Xbox. Hell I'm sure Sony will do some awesome stuff with cloud tech.

Whoa, so like, they might use all of the cloud? Like the whole thing? Why stop at 1080p?
This is even better than cell! I've been making all this toast just to boost PS3 performance, but with Xbone and the cloud I don't even have to do that anymore!

Chobel

They're not AAA games as we'd understand them. They're F2P games that will also tie in with other hardware (phones? browser?). I wouldn't get too excited.

After reading the article for the second time, it seems that those four games are just f2p mobile games. All that "AAA" talk appears to be PR fluff.

TheD

The Detective
You should write a memo to Amazon and Google to stop investing in something that 'can't do anything substantial to even warrant its existance', I'm sure they'd appreciate the warning.

That is completely different.
We are talking about games, they have both latency and bandwidth limits.

The best you could really do with the "cloud" is running AI and the like remotely, but that is not something to be writing home about, if anything it will just lead to crap like how D3 (that used remote AI) lagged all over the place for a lot of people when it came out.

The funny thing is, anyone that recognized the cloud PR spin/speak bullshit saw right through this. Of course nobody was going to use the cloud, the way Microsoft sold it, when there is local CPU/GPU. That is what they are there for.

Oh Microsoft, do you expect us to think that local CPU/GPU originally wasn't going to happen, so we needed the wondrous magical infinite power of the cloud? Now that we have local CPU/GPU, we do not need it?

If you go back to day one of the reveal, the 2 biggest selling points that Microsoft tried to push down our throats were "The Cloud" and "Kinnect." Neither have that killer application or game that utilize them at launch when they have been the biggest Checkmarks from Microsoft since Day 1.

Top Bottom