• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu confirms the DS4 will work on Windows "for basic functions"

gruenel

Lock if old!

uUVpUre.png

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/386252362119012352

So it'll work, but no sixaxis/touchpad support I guess?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Erm, didn't we already have a thread that confirmed it would work natively on Windows? I thought this was old news.

Omikaru

Hope that includes the touchpad, even if it involves it just working as a mouse. Would make playing certain games with mouse-driven menus that much better on Steam big picture mode.

PetrCobra

I don't really get why anyone would want to use this controller on PC unless they are Sony-exclusive on consoles and don't really know anything else, but hey, good for those people.

Eusis

And nothing of value was lost. As long as analog and buttons work. It will be my next controller for pc.
Are you kidding me? The touchpad basically lets you use it as a mouse for whenever that's needed for menus or computer use outside of the game, it'd be a big loss to lose that regardless of opinions on motion control (what the DS3 had was a joke, but this sounds improved and the Wii U Game Pad showed how nice it can be when it's actually got good motion sensing.)

Still, one of the indie developers indicated the track pad worked fine, so I'm guessing given it IS just a touch pad it's essentially a "basic function" on PC anyway.

Jeff Gerstmann got this anonymous tip on his tumblr yesterday:

Regarding PC support with nextgen controllers. I have both on my desk right now and I just tried them on my PC. The XB1 pad doesn't work at all. The PS4 is recognized as a plain wired controller so basic axis and button support but no rumble,sisaxis or touchpad. I'm sure that both companies will release the PC drivers to the public at some point but it's not as simple and "out of the box" as you said on the podcast.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/63018672241/regarding-pc-support-with-nextgen-controllers-i-have

Jomjom

Banned
I really hope they release some drivers that would enable the touchpad on PC. I could see some uses for that in a PC environment.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't really get why anyone would want to use this controller on PC unless they are Sony-exclusive on consoles and don't really know anything else, but hey, good for those people.

Well, for one the 360 controller is horrendous for 2D games. It must be we're all ignorant, though.

Will it work the same way my PS2 controller works when I hook it up to. USB adapter?
Looks that way. Generic HID drivers.

alr1ght

Does steam support all controllers, or just 360 pads?

"Steam" supports tons of controllers. Some games (mostly newer games) only work with Xinput (360 pad), but there's Xinput emulators to translate the inputs into Xinput.

zhorkat

Well, for one the 360 controller is horrendous for 2D games. It must be we're all ignorant, though.

Wouldn't the decision be between a DualShock 4 and Xbox One controller, and not between the DualShock 4 and Xbox 360 controller, though?

Amir0x

Banned
damn the touchpad could have been a decent little way to integrate some more PC-ish games into the control equation

Celcius

°Temp. member
I can live without rumble until they release drivers and I don't care about the touchpad or sixaxis support, so I'll be grabbing a DS4 on day 1 :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think he means that there are lots of options, not just console controllers.

Logitech controllers are pretty similar to Dualshocks and cheaper.

Jomjom

Banned
damn the touchpad could have been a decent little way to integrate some more PC-ish games into the control equation

Totally agree. Maybe it's not too late! We should start a twitter campaign directed toward Shu to get the touchpad working on PC.

I don't really get why anyone would want to begrudge people the use of their favorite controller, unless you know, they are Microsoft-exclusive on consoles and like to pretend that the D-pad was never invented. But hey, good for those people. Begrudge away.

Edit: didn't realize you could have meant mice and keyboard. But if that's what you meant, get out of here with that PC master race ignorance.

alr1ght

Wouldn't the decision be between a DualShock 4 and Xbox One controller, and not between the DualShock 4 and Xbox 360 controller, though?

No. Poster was acting like we're all dumb to not have a controller on PC right now. The bone controller has been confirmed to not launch with PC support anyways. I believe they said sometime early next year for drivers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Are the War Thunder devs here? Can they comment on the DS4 prompts in the PC version and if that means native DS4 pad support from here on out?

nbthedude

PC just got its best new controller.

I don't call a controller wtih generic drivers, no rumble, and no auto-configure in games the "best" controller.

Drivers with plug and play for games or it's pretty useless as far as I'm concerned.

I'll stick with 360 pad for now, thanks. It just works without any fuss ever.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Still, one of the indie developers indicated the track pad worked fine, so I'm guessing given it IS just a touch pad it's essentially a "basic function" on PC anyway.
IIRC, it was later clarified that clicking the touchpad was being recognized on the PC as a button press. That's probably all we'll get until someone bothers writing some unofficial drivers with touch support.

alr1ght

I think he means that there are lots of options, not just console controllers.

Logitech controllers are pretty similar to Dualshocks and cheaper.

Of course there's tons of options. I'm not going to give people shit for wanting support for yet another controller.

If the d-pad even comes close to my USB Saturn pad, well I may have to retire it.

StuBurns

Banned
Of course there's tons of options. I'm not going to give people shit for wanting support for yet another controller.

If the d-pad even comes close to my USB Saturn pad, well I may have to retire it.
It's much nicer than the DS3 dpad, still not quite Vita levels.

If it works just like the 360 controller or my Logitech F510 (which uses the native 360 driver) then good job Shuhei, I'll grab one of these.

Eusis

IIRC, it was later clarified that clicking the touchpad was being recognized on the PC as a button press. That's probably all we'll get until someone bothers writing some unofficial drivers with touch support.
Ah, yeah, that'd do it. I think it'd be worth it to get OFFICIAL drivers there just to increse indie mindshare and support: more people will use it on PC, so it's safe to support there and on PS4/Vita.

Though fan made drivers that make it act like a mouse would probably be enough victory just by making it a more ideal couch controller.

Almighty

Sounds like a start. If the DS4 is as good as people are claiming then it will become my new PC controller. After Sony or someone makes some drivers to get the touchpad/etc working as well.

I Don't want it to be recognized as a Xbox controller.
I want it to be recognized as a controller with pressure sensitive buttons, just like it is on Playstation.

Top Bottom