• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV season pass revealed (360/PS3/PS4/X1/PC), Freedom Cry DLC trailer

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Freedom Cry DLC trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxNjLX4M-A

Freedom Cry DLC:
Born a slave, Adewale found freedom as a pirate aboard the Jackdaw where he became Edward Kenway’s second-in-command. Now, 15 years later, Adewale has become a trained Assassin who finds himself shipwrecked in Saint-Domingue without weapons or crew. He starts to meet locals in an effort to assemble a crew and steal a ship. The more he helps, however, the more he is drawn into the Maroon slave community. Forced to face his past, Adewale sets out to free the slaves and bring death to their captors. Over 3 hours of new single-player gameplay!

Season Pass is available for everything but Wii U. Season Pass is $20/£16.

London, UK — October 8, 2013 — Today, Ubisoft® announced post launch downloadable content for Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™, available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox One console from Microsoft, PlayStation®4 from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and Windows PC.

The Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag downloadable content features additional single player missions, including ‘Freedom Cry’, a nine mission self-contained story featuring Edward Kenway’s first mate Adewale.

A Season Pass will be available for purchase at the launch of the game on PlayStation 4, Playstation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC, and will include the below downloadable game content at a 20 percent discount:

- Freedom Cry: Born a slave, Adewale found freedom as a pirate aboard the Jackdaw as Captain Edward Kenway’s second-in-command. Fifteen years later, Adewale has become a trained assassin and finds himself shipwrecked in Saint-Domingue with no weapon nor crew, starting a new adventure of his own.

- The Exclusive Kraken Ship Pack – Only available to Season Pass owners, this pack includes personalization elements for the Jackdaw

- New ways to personalize the player’s pirate experience – Additional single player missions, weapons, skins, and collectibles

- More Multiplayer Mayhem – Unlock new characters for an even more expansive multiplayer experience

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag Season Pass grants a 20 percent savings off the regular price of each individual downloadable pack to be released before March 2014, and is available on PlayStation 4, Playstation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.

TogXHDB.png

- 9 additional single player missions
- Pirates pack
- Multiplayer characters pack
- Death Vessel pack
- Crusader & Florentine Pack

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<reads DLC description>

Boy, it doesn't take very much to be an "Assassin" in these games anymore, does it?

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't buy it, guys. United we stand against horseshit season pass nonsense that is rapidly taking over.

BigDug13

So that's going to be the next thing. Exclusive content only available with the Season Pass and isn't available when buying the DLC individually. The preorder bonus content is now infecting Season Passes. Wonderful.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think this series has ever had a single piece of worthwhile DLC. This stuff in the pass doesn't look like it's going to change this.

Geedorah

WTF, first Batman, now this - there is nothing season pass about these promos. They are ONE 'campaign' DLC, and cosmetics for being a sucker enough to pay full price sight unseen.

Really hope this trend just dies - I would be 'fine' with Season passes of the caliber of BL2, but all these callous cash-grabs are grinding my gears.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
London, UK — October 8, 2013 — Today, Ubisoft® announced post launch downloadable content for Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™, available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox One console from Microsoft, PlayStation®4 from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and Windows PC.
Is it not coming to Wii U?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I haven't bought an AC season pass yet and I'm not about to start now.

I bought AssCreed 3's Digital Deluxe Edition, which came with the Season Pass, however this time around it's only included with the Gold Edition, which, on Steam, is exclusive to the Brazilian store (!?). I crunched the numbers, though, and it'll be cheaper to purchase the DDE and the Season Pass on its own through an Eastern European trader than to cough up the ~$55 for the GE, plus you don't miss out on the Castaway's Prize Pack (it's not included in the GE for some reason), as trivial as it is in terms of content. (Aside from the former lacking the aforementioned pack and the latter lacking the Season Pass, the GE and DDE are identical in terms of included content.)

Toa TAK

Banned
Freedom Cry looks awesome from that trailer.

As for the season pass, I was going to get it no matter what regardless.

Luthos

So that's going to be the next thing. Exclusive content only available with the Season Pass and isn't available when buying the DLC individually. The preorder bonus content is now infecting Season Passes. Wonderful.

I get really aggravated about pre-order bonuses and, well, DLC in general. But season passes are a different form of shitty business practice.

PusherT

I was wondering the same. I'm buying all the games this holiday on WII U with toysrus promo for buy 1 get 1 40%, preorders included.
Wii U didn't get the injustice season pass either. Maybe there is no money to be made with DLC on Wii U.

Tohsaka

This seems focused on single-player content, which is unusual and a welcome change for me. I've never bought a season pass before, but I'm considering this one.

Hopefully they will actually delve into what slavery was like during that time instead of pulling a cop out like they did in AC3.

On the fence whether to buy or not. Definitely going to play AC4 first. They still need to sell me on that fact that they learned from the mistakes in AC3. Less is more, focus on the shit that matters.

The Da Vinci Disappearance was easily one of the best pieces of DLC I played this generation.

How much DLC content did you download this generation?

The Da Vinci Disappearance was easily one of the best pieces of DLC I played this generation.

Yeah, it was probably the best AC DLC. Arguably in the best of the series too (AC:B). ACIII DLC was ok, maybe even a little better because the main game narrative structure worked well for the DLC. That being said, it's not worth a season pass DLC. I'll get the SP stuff on discount.

How much DLC content did you download this generation?

Not everything can be horse armor k bud?

BigDug13

I get really aggravated about pre-order bonuses and, well, DLC in general. But season passes are a different form of shitty business practice.

And now two things you hate, preorder bonuses and season passes, are now being smushed together into one pretty but horrible tasting turd.

AGITΩ

Kinda disappointed that there's no Wii U version, given that the same was done with ACIII. Yet all the DLC's were made available on the Wii U, seem's like we just have to pay more if we want all that content. :/

iNvid02

Yeah, it was probably the best AC DLC. Arguably in the best of the series too (AC:B). ACIII DLC was ok, maybe even a little better because the main game narrative structure worked well for the DLC. That being said, it's not worth a season pass DLC. I'll get the SP stuff on discount.

yeah brotherhood got so much right.

if they bundle in this pass with one of the special editions on PC i think i'll go for it, greenman had a good deal on AC3s last year and i thought the dlc was worth the few extra $$$

It is a really ugly precedent.

I still don't really see a problem with season passes. If you're going to buy all the content then why not get it cheaper? I could see if it was like the Batman one and there was stuff in there not detailed, but this lays out exactly what you'll get. If you want that stuff then get the pass, if not then don't buy it.

Personally only the Freedom Cry stuff sounds interesting to me, so I won't be getting the pass.

I guess I will wait for the GOTY edition, and reap some savings. Sad really. I am ready to support their nextgen dev costs ... but I am not willing to support the trend in exclusive preordered DLC content in Season Passes - or the idea of Season Passes in general.

BigDug13

I still don't really see a problem with season passes. If you're going to buy all the content then why not get it cheaper? I could see if it was like the Batman one and there was stuff in there not detailed, but this lays out exactly what you'll get. If you want that stuff then get the pass, if not then don't buy it.

Personally only the Freedom Cry stuff sounds interesting to me, so I won't be getting the pass.

Locking exclusive content to a preorder of a season pass is BS. They're creating game content specifically designed to be locked out without you conducting your game purchasing practices in the way that Ubisoft wants you to. Fuck that.

Locking exclusive content
I think your issue is with locking content, not the method, then. Otherwise what's the difference between this and, say, the exclusive characters in Soul Calibur 2? Or any number of special editions that come with art books, trinkets, or some in-game doodad that isn't available elsewhere?

Bog

Junior Ace
Yes, please tell me more about all the cool things I don't get with my $60 game.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Season Pass is $20/£16.

But more info on Freedom Cry DLC, too. Supposedly three hour single player gameplay.

Born a slave, Adewale found freedom as a pirate aboard the Jackdaw where he became Edward Kenway&#8217;s second-in-command. Now, 15 years later, Adewale has become a trained Assassin who finds himself shipwrecked in Saint-Domingue without weapons or crew. He starts to meet locals in an effort to assemble a crew and steal a ship. The more he helps, however, the more he is drawn into the Maroon slave community. Forced to face his past, Adewale sets out to free the slaves and bring death to their captors. Over 3 hours of new single-player gameplay!

BigDug13

I think your issue is with locking content, not the method, then. Otherwise what's the difference between this and, say, the exclusive characters in Soul Calibur 2? Or any number of special editions that come with art books, trinkets, or some in-game doodad that isn't available elsewhere?

Yes I do have a problem with locking content. But adding season passes to that long list of things that lock things away from the player and no longer allowing you to get all the content individually if you choose to sucks.

E92 M3

Are publishers not even trying anymore with these season passes? Their complacency is insulting at this point.

$20 is a ok price. curious how much freedom cry is gonna cost standalone though.

And while i'm mixed with AC franchise atm, good god would a Blood Dragon style stand alone game be great.

Top Bottom