• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario, Yoshi, other Nintendo characters now flooding Windows app store

Tripon

The Windows 8 app market has struggled to gain any real traction, dwarfed by the gigantic iOS and Android app stores. But it does seem to have a secret edge over the larger app markets: a total lack of IP protection! Right now, some of the hottest new apps on Windows are called Mario Jump, Yoshijump and Pokemon Attack. And yes, they do use the popular Nintendo characters from the games we all know and love. The apps seem very odd — the Mario game seems to be combining a photorealistic sky backdrop with 1980s style platforms. Bowser Town Defense features an equally weird graphical style.
Screenshot.241837.100000.jpg

http://bgr.com/2013/10/08/nintendo-windows-apps-mario-bowser/

Ghazi

It's called freedom. I'm sorry that you hate it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the windows marketplace isn't a free place, right?

As in they approve everything that goes onto there and things aren't just uploaded willy nilly.

TaroYamada

What's with these app stores and their lack of checking the games they approve?

I particularly like it because American companies throw fits about copyright infringement, yet this stuff? They don't seem to give a damn about stopping these counterfeits, at all.

Salex_

Those shitty developers have no shame at all. The people in charge of the store should rename the game to TrashBin#8974874 then take the all of the money they made from the app.

GaussTek

But it does seem to have a secret edge over the larger app markets: a total lack of IP protection!

Wait, so do the iOS and Android app stores have it? I mean, aren't iOS and Android flooded with this kind of games, too?

Next thing we know Nintendo will sue Microsoft and take XBone.

Wait, this was their strategy all along! Let Microsoft do the expensive stuff and build a fanbase, and then stealthily slip Yoshi onto their store and sue! Brilliant!

Yanikun

Banned
Wii U is even doomed-er then. Who would pay $60 for Super Mario 3D World when you can get Mario Jump for free?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Remember when that GAFfer got banned for admitting to making money from selling stuff on one of the app stores (either iOS or Android) that used copyrighted Capcom characters?

Omikaru

It's called less restrictions than on other closed platforms. I'm sorry that you hate it.

FTFY.

If you're running a closed ecosystem or storefront that deals in real money and purports to be legitimate, then having this stuff on there is gross. Then again, all the big app stores have had it happen to them. I remember when "Pokemon Yellow" was top of the iTunes UK charts for several hours one day. According to angry reviews, when you booted up the "game" you got a picture of Pikachu and... well... that's it.

Toad.T

Banned
I tried downloading one of the ones mentioned in a earlier thread, (Where Arab Mario fought Turtle Garagamel) and it installed a whole bunch of unnecessary shit. Easy to delete, though.

Just giving a (Obvious) word to the wise.

I tried reporting a Mega Man once after Windows 8 launched. And MS just asked for proof that I owned the IP.

So the owner of the IP needs to be the one to take it down.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
to be fair no one downloads anything on the windows app store so it's not like there's any actual defrauding going on here

verdures

Crash Bandicoot and Sonic branded games have been the top games on the Chrome store for years now. Those are awesome because they're just a redirect to fungametime.br/sonicflahsgam.html or something

ThaGuy

So instead of just appearing on the Wii U these characters are now appearing on two platforms no one cares about.

And this is how you know its a Nintendo thread lol. But regarding the topic creaters post, thats messed up for them to do that. Have they ever heard of plagiarism in school?

Coldsun

Banned
It's called freedom. I'm sorry that you hate it.

And what does Freedom have to do with this? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for freedom. I just don't see how this relates to anyone's construct of freedom in a productive society. This is simply theft of anther's intellectual property, the potential deceiving of customers, and countless other ethical issues.

I'd love if Microsoft took the money and refunded it to people (while disabling the app) or giving the money to Nintendo and other copyright holders. Additionally, I'd hope Microsoft would voluntarily give Nintendo and the other actual owners the information of the supposed developers for legal ramifications and punishment. Maybe if a few of these people got dragged through the legal system, it'd discourage others from doing the same. I'm all for the financial ruining of people who steal from others.

Top Bottom