• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie just namedropped at Nvidia conference. Destiny port potential rising

Grief.exe

You are correct C00kie

Bungie's work on Destiny was revealed earlier this year in court documents related to the Activision v. West and Zampella lawsuit. Details from Bungie's 10-year contract with publisher Activision revealed that the developer was working on four games in the Destiny franchise, with the first due to be released on Xbox 360 and Microsoft's next-generation console in 2013.

Future Destiny games are slated to come to PlayStation 4 and Windows PC, the contract revealed.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/27/3699650/destiny-leaked-images-bungie

Grief.exe

Destiny and the Halo Trilogy coming to PC would probably kill the rest of my purchases for 2014, except for maybe Titanfall.

Early 2014 is just ridiculous. Quit your job, take a semester off of school, divorce your wife, disown your children.

Dark Souls II, Titanfall, Destiny, GTAV PC, Possible Halo Trilogy.

I'm not even excited for a single game releasing in 2013.

Grief.exe

Hopefully some more news comes out of this, Nvidia says they have more exciting announcements planned for tomorrow.

I highly doubt Activision will want to debut the PC version at this conference though. They will want a wider audience.

Early 2014 is just ridiculous. Quit your job, take a semester off of school, divorce your wife, disown your children.

Dark Souls II, Titanfall, Destiny, GTAV PC, Possible Halo Trilogy.

I'm not even excited for a single game releasing in 2013.

There aren't any really exciting games that are being released aside for some Wii U releases in my opinion. 2014 will hopefully be better. I've become burnt out on some of the games that are over-saturating the market right now.

Grief.exe

There aren't any really exciting games that are being released aside for some Wii U releases in my opinion. 2014 will hopefully be better. I've become burnt out on some of the games that are over-saturating the market right now.

Aren't we all, bring on the new generation and some fresh ideas!

Computron

Optix is a GPU accelerated raytracing library that will is used to calculate the PRECOMPUTED ambient obscurance in their maps. They had a GDC presentation about this very thing recently. Here's an interesting fact: even with Optix GPU Raytraced AO, it still takes ~5 minutes (IIRC) to bake the lighting for a single production level map.

This DOES NOT in anyway have anything to do with a PC port, nor does it imply one. It is simply an framework they use to improve their development tools specifically for calculating their precomputed lighting.

Grief.exe

Optix is a GPU accelerated raytracing library that will is used to calculate the PRECOMPUTED ambient obscurance in their maps. They had a GDC presentation about this very thing recently.

This DOES NOT in anyway have anything to do with a PC port, nor does it imply one. It is simply an framework they use to improve their lighting development tools.

This is like when there is a gorgeous celebrity in your dream and your brain tells you to wake up because it is too good to be true.

Nethaniah

Optix is a GPU accelerated raytracing library that will is used to calculate the PRECOMPUTED ambient obscurance in their maps. They had a GDC presentation about this very thing recently.

This DOES NOT in anyway have anything to do with a PC port, nor does it imply one. It is simply an framework they use to improve their development tools specifically for calculating their precomputed lighting.

Party pooper.

Computron

This is like when there is a gorgeous celebrity in your dream and your brain tells you to wake up because it is too good to be true.

Sorry OP, I want a PC version just as bad as you do.

On the plus side, the lighting tools they showed at GDC are shaping up to be pretty awesome, especially for allowing a current generation console game this ambitious!

Speaking of tech though, I would be curious to see how they could extend their realtime lighting with the extra power of the next gen consoles, like doing at least some rudimentary form of realtime WSAO or maybe even GI to go along with the day-night cycles in the game.
(Though, even that would still not be likely to use Optix, even on a potential PC version.)

GavinGT

Banned
Isn't this Optix engine basically just a middleware solution that applies to numerous platforms? Does this necessarily imply that the listed developers are using it to make PC games?

Grief.exe

Isn't this Optix engine basically just a middleware solution that applies to numerous platforms? Does this necessarily imply that the listed developers are using it to make PC games?

Take your implications out of here. This thread is now dedicated to those that cover their ears and don't listen to these 'facts.'

I'm officially joining the Tea Party.

Computron

It does not necessarily mean Optix will be in any of the partner's shipping game.
So it also doesn't imply that Optix will be in the console verions of Destiny for any kind of realtime/precomputed raytracing, which I imagine is how some might interpret this thread.
(Not that it even could, since its an Nvidia exclusive-- it uses cuda -- and the consoles are all using AMD GPUs)

In the case of Destiny, it simply means that the AO lighting data in the game will be produced/baked by an Optix accelerated dev tools.

Top Bottom