• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dracula |OT| Jonathan Rhys Meyers Wants Your Blood – Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

... Alternate title: Jonathan Rhys Meyers Wants To Suck You Off.

Note: OP is best seen in Default Theme .​
j4WkGPxE7gXc6.png
ib1ZNtEwVFaLFh.gif
jhE98cE7lAfaO.png

jpPjA85Qe545r.png

jbcJ5hWVAg6oKW.png

jdLiMiGZrDJWB.png
jbgVZpJVIgeOXh.png
jCXrQfTy7vWBT.png

j9q27YD57UWwG.png
jtjfGhOAvbzH2.png
jbhrBtxcnmpgIX.png

jO5xQX9vO7XFg.png

jb2yfOELNYTwcZ.png

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I realize that this is Idris Elba as everyone territory, but Mads Mikkelsen would be a fucking awesome Dracula. Not feeling Rhys one little bit.

KorrZ

Definitely interested in this - Trailer looked great and Jonathan Rhys Meyers is a big plus in my book (he was great in the Tudors).

TheOddOne

- Washington Post review
“Dracula” shows a lot of skill when it comes to launching a swift-paced series and weaving together several taut story lines and characters; at times it even finds an undiscovered sweet spot between “Downton Abbey” and Bela Lugosi. Rhys Meyers is an adequately creepy vampire and there is sex, style, mystery and ad­ven­ture all around. Only one crucial piece is missing: “Dracula” isn’t scary.

Grade: B-

border

Why is the only black guy the crazy sycophant?

Renfield is not a sycophant, he's actually subject to Dracula's mind control. At least that's in the novel.

Black people were probably not especially common in Victorian England, so to give Dracula an exotic minion increases the sense of other-ness that surrounds him.

I just caught the trailer. Interesting. Could be a hot mess. Could be really good.

Though I dunno why everyone's insistent on making Vlad Tepes this sorta lovestruck monster. Dude was just a plain psychotically evil person. I'm not feeling any creepy vibe from Rhys Meyers like I did with Lugosi or Gary Oldman.

I realize that this is Idris Elba as everyone territory, but Mads Mikkelsen would be a fucking awesome Dracula. Not feeling Rhys one little bit.

Mads Mikkelsen would be an amazing Dracula.

He could easily rock the cape too.

Renfield is not a sycophant, he's actually subject to Dracula's mind control. At least that's in the novel.

Black people were probably not especially common in Victorian England, so to give Dracula an exotic minion increases the sense of other-ness that surrounds him.

Fair point. Though in the trailer, he doesn't seem mind controlled.

Downhome

What are other reviews saying?

I will be interested as long as it isn't the teenybopper version of vampires. If it is I'll count myself out and just ignore it even exists. I haven't even watched a trailer for it yet so I really have no clue.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is this a mini series or will it be an ongoing?

I'm pretty sure it's a limited series ala Hannibal.

What are other reviews saying?

Vulture - Dracula Do[es] Small-Screen Horror Right

The show has a knack for Godfather-style plots and counter­plots, as well as for sixties Hammer-horror violence that doles out gore and suffering strategically: a dollop of blood here, a severed head there. There’s a bracing wantonness to the writers’ inventions here.

Kansas City Entertainment - TV review | NBC’s ‘Dracula’ gets points for style

Lead writer Daniel Knauf, who created HBO’s “Carnivale,” has tweaked Bram Stoker’s classic tale in delightful, if heavy-handed ways.

Chicago Sun Times - Dracula

The show has a lot going on and it isn’t always easy to follow, but for the most part it’s stylish, sexy and smart.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Variety - TV Review: NBC’s ‘Dracula’ Doesn’t Suck

Like “Hannibal” (another NBC drama built around an antihero with a peculiar diet), this series pushes boundaries in terms of gore, torture and sex, flourishes that feel both organic and perhaps a bit less jarring given the fantastic setting and situations.

Entertainment Weekly - (from the print magazine)

The gorgeous art direction make this great fun, and Rhys Meyers plays his part with such blood-slurping, mouth-wiping gusto that even a dentist could love him.

TheOddOne

- Shock Interview: Cole Haddon, the Creator of NBC's Dracula
On how Hannibal has helped push the limits of gore on NBC...

"All of this I attribute to Bob Greenblatt's inspired leadership at NBC. He previously ran Showtime and is of a cable mindset and I think that's what he wanted to bring to his tenure to NBC. They're trying to break rules and give audiences something new. Why give more procedurals? There are plenty out there. I think what Greenblatt wanted was to shake things up and that's how Hannibal happened and why that's a great success. I hope Dracula benefits from that increasing curiosity as to whether network can give people the thrills and scares they'd have to find somewhere else."

TheOddOne

Is Greenblatt one of the good executives or the bad ones?

I've no clue.
Showtime’s President Is Said to Be Stepping Down
Mr. Greenblatt helped turn Showtime, a unit of the CBS Corporation, into a more muscular competitor to HBO. During his time there, Showtime added popular and critically acclaimed series like “Dexter,” “The Tudors,” “The L Word,” “Weeds” and “Californication.” Showtime received 29 Emmy nominations last year, a record for the network.

TheOddOne

- Hitflix review.
The writers on "Dracula" have not hit on that variation. I'd hate to rule out the possibility that a great TV show could be made about energy-based political machinations in the burgeoning industrialization of late-19th Century London, but it turns out to be a backdrop that drains all of the pleasure from the property that gives "Dracula" its name. Once again, if all you want from "Dracula" is Jonathan Rhys Meyers smoldering, some lavish visuals and shareholder drama involving British Imperial Coolant, then this will be satisfying. If you want scares, disturbing imagery and a fresh take on vampire mythology that feels like it adds worthy details to the genre's vast library, then this falls way, way short.
- IGN review
NBC's Dracula has a campy, can't look away quality that may become addictive for some. We've received the first several episodes, and though we haven't had the chance to watch ahead, we hear that the series improves as it goes along. So we'll likely be checking back in with it. The pilot is a clunky mix of melodramatic vamp romance, nods to Coppola's extravagant adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel, and a contemporary - and somewhat politicized - spin on the mythology, which may be off-putting for some. Jonathan Rhys Meyers brings his particular brand of bizarre sexuality/'70s glam rock flair to what is essentially a very soapy period drama/play on an old-fashioned Gothic horror. All of these elements combine to create one of the more bizarre, though in many ways intriguing, pilots of the season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The series premiere is tonight!

A few more reviews:

Miami Herald - On NBC, a heroic Dracula saves us from the 1 percent

Watching this conspiracy, class warfare and romantic indiscretion collide makes for a hugely engaging show, all the more so because of the lushly photographed Victorian settings and droll dialogue.

New York Post - Jonathan Rhys Meyers injects fresh blood into ‘Dracula’

Rhys Meyers already has his fans, but he’s likely to win over skeptics as this new Dracula makes a seduction out of death.

Newsday - 'Dracula' review: Soap opera with fangs

All dark shadows and gloom, there's a comic-book vigor to the series, and the narrative contortion of a soap.

TheOddOne

Series premiere today:
Episode 1 "The Blood is the Life"

New to England, Alan Grayson hosts a lavish party. He becomes fixated on Mina, a beautiful young woman who looks like his dead former love. Newly engaged to Mina, Harker grapples with worries over providing Mina the life she deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom