• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Let's never pay our debts and kill everyone in China." - Braxton, 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsun

Banned
The fact that they argue this is anyway similar to the propaganda used by the Nazi's is in itself offensive. This was simply a child's way of thinking about how to avoid paying a debt. It was not from a deep hatred of a race. It really isn't even a racist comment. The child would of likely said the same thing had the English owned the debt or anyone else.

This is simply people having far too thin of skins.

There is comedic value in how absurd and ridiculous that comment is coming from a child. If an adult seriously said that then that would be messed up. But they didn't so it's a non-issue.

Yoshiya

i can't wait to make the thread "Braxton, 6 appointed key strategist for Tea Party Republicans as they look towards 2016"

liquidtmd

Banned
He's a chat show host, he'll do this shit, in context it's not worth such fuss.

Let's not dress it up as satire though - its a guy getting kids to say stupid things. His day job is getting adults to say stupid things. Getting hysterical about it is more stupidererer

Cyprus

Banned
The chinese wouldn't even know about this if it weren't for the Murican created Internet. Tell them to get over it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm more disturbed at how a kid could think of something like that rather than the political implications tbqh

xenist

Killing a billion and a half people seems counterproductive. I think you guys would be better served if you didn't kill all the Chinese and instead used them as a source of food.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A sincere apology must be issued. It is extremely distasteful and this is the same rhetoric used in Nazi Germany against Jewish people.
So that's why making fun of it in a satire on a comedy show is bad? I'm not following this line of reasoning...

watershed

Banned
I'm generally not a fan of murder jokes, mix in the ease of cross cultural misunderstanding and sensitivities and this is what you get.

antonz

Not many Americans would be up for that kind of mystery meat.

School lunches would work. There was just the big thing over a district switching back to shitty meat hamburgers etc because the kids didnt like the all natural pure beef burgers and demanded the crap ones brought back.

Kids will eat anything

7elQPLu.png

You're next, Japan!

Killing a billion and a half people seems counterproductive. I think you guys would be better served if you didn't kill all the Chinese and instead used them as a source of food.

Use your fucking brain: You know goddamn well if we ate Chinese we'd just be hungry again in 30 minutes.

People are ridiculous. They are worried about what a kid says on a "kids say the darnedest things" bit? Of course he aired what the crazy kid said, that's the point of the bit.

A sincere apology must be issued. It is extremely distasteful and this is the same rhetoric used in Nazi Germany against Jewish people. Please immediately cut the show and issue a formal apology.”
The only difference (and a pretty big one) is that Hitler wasn't a comedian.

Use your fucking brain: You know goddamn well if we ate Chinese we'd just be hungry again in 30 minutes.
Are you guys trying to start WW3?

fuzzyset

I actually watched this when it aired. Thought it was funny.

I haven't seen any discussion of: immediately after the CHILD said this, a 6/7 yr old girl quickly refuted him saying "but then they will try to kill all of us." Kids can be quite wise.

Avixph

I actually watched this when it aired. Thought it was funny.

I haven't seen any discussion of: immediately after the CHILD said this, a 6/7 yr old girl quickly refuted him saying "but then they will try to kill all of us." Kids can be quite wise.
How will they try to kill us if they're dead?

I think it's funny to see this now without the context of the anger, because this made MAJOR news headlines in quite a few Chinese newspapers after the video was posted and sub/translated online.

It's only a problem because the translated version that is being viewed and passed around in china and consumed by the viewers is one without the context of "Kimmel is a satirical late night host", or that this was served as comedy. Frankly, the idea of late night shows (not of variety type) and political satire is pretty non-existent, so without those context, this strikes a completely different nerve.

Killing over 1 Billion people sounds pretty tough

It's actually pretty easy as pressing a button. Just one Minuteman III ICBM carries up to three warheads with a yield of 300-500 kilotons.

For reference, the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was 12.5 and 22 kilotons.

I'm reminded of an episode of South Park where Kyle (or was it Stan?)'s dad taught him that there are rich and poor people. So Kyle writes a paper saying that they should kill all the poor people so everyone will be rich.

animus82

Banned
Comedian/talk show host has outrageous skit. Some people laugh. Some people are offended. Pretty sure this isn't the first time.

Laugh? At what? Kid mentions genocide and its LOLOLOL?

Its not cute and they shouldn't have aired it. That's it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Laugh? At what? Kid mentions genocide and its LOLOLOL?

Its not cute and they shouldn't have aired it. That's it.

The kid doesn't even know what fucking genocide IS. If you're getting offended by what a 6 year old says, you really need to reevaluate your outlook on life.

"Just kill all the Chinese people" is the kind of practical, common sense, direct approach that only a child would come up with as (what he thinks is) a plausible answer. An adult knows that's not a realistic scenario and would never even dream of it (unless they were a crazy evil bastard), but for a child it's just so logical and simple that it gets blurted out as a "serious" suggestion to solve the problem. That dissonance between childish naivete and adult morality is the source of the humor. You don't laugh because "LOL kill the Chinese people, that's so funny and awesome!" You laugh because it's an absurdity said with a straight face that a rational adult would never ever dream of blurting out.

Takuan

I'm surprised they allowed that to air. I can't imagine they would've aired that if it were any other country. For instance, if things had played out as described in DarthWoo's post below, there's no way in hell the producers would've given it the greenlight.

But really, it's a 6 year old.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I do wonder how the reactions would play out if the conversation had been about peace in the middle east and some cute little kid just said kill all the Israelis. It may not be necessarily the kid's fault, as he might not know any better at that age, but unless the show is aired live, it does kind of call the editors' judgment into question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom