• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamereactor: From PS4 GUI until you are "on the go and gaming" in KZ:SF = 15s

DieH@rd

Banned
Found this on Beyond3D, user HokutoNoKen has translated report from the journalist of the Swedish magazine GameReactor
Here is an translation

Swedish:
"En av de coolaste detaljerna som Guerrilla visade mig under besöket tidigare i veckan var hur snabbt Killzone Shadow Fall startar när man väl proppat i skivan i sin konsol. Från och med att man klickar på spelikonen i PS4:ans interna gränssnitt tar det endast 15 sekunder (!) för spelet att dra igång. Alltså, 15 sekunder innan man är igång och spelar. Något som tar flera minuter i Killzone 3 (exempelvis)."

English:
"One of the coolest detailas that Guerilla showed me during the visit earlier in the week was how fast Killzone Shadow Fall starts when you have inserted the disc in the console. From the time when you click on the game icon on the PS4:s internal GUI it only takes 15 seconds (!) for the game to get going. In other Words, 15 seconds before you are on the go and gaming. Something that took several minutes in Killzone 3 (for example)".

Swedish article is @ http://www.gamereactor.se/blog/petter/630144/?sid=dcb819730fc920fec151280ab2616dd2#comments

At Gamescom, Yoshida showed us PS4 GUI with Killzone that was not loaded in memory (13 sec mark, GUI has button for "Start" the game), and he jumped from GUI to MP gameplay in just 7 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM&hd=1

Into

bartsellshissoul4_thumb.png

15 seconds? But i want it now!

jwk94

I hope more games are able to do this. Hell, I hope more games use PlayGo so I don't have to wait forever to play.

Alx

That's quite impressive... I know they could remove the different logos and warnings, but most games have initial loading screens that take longer than 15 seconds. Maybe the game starts with a cutscene that hides this loading time ?

People probably shouldn't get too excited about this possibly becoming common. Guerrilla said that they had to ask a bunch of people just to make it happen.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is this a reason why games have to be installed to the hard drive?

I mean, this is one of the benefits of having to do so

jayu26

That's quite impressive... I know they could remove the different logos and warnings, but most games have initial loading screens that take longer than 15 seconds. Maybe the game starts with a cutscene that hides this loading time ?

Initial load when you insert the disk is 30 seconds. I'm guessing this is for every time after that. Unless you clear the cache, I guess...

Jarsonot

Really great. And I've always hated having to see those damn splash screens. People who care will look it up, people who don't are annoyed by your branding.

That will be nice especially for people coming from playing GTA V.

So much this.

What a nightmare that was.

Wondering about some details though.

Is this starting up a game for the first time on the console in that session, or is it a resume that was shown?

Majanew

Banned
That's cool, but I'm not in that much of a hurry. lol

I could see it being worth it when you sign on and go to join your friend in multiplayer, though. Nothing worse than having to wait for everything to pop up and load just so you can then wait to join his game.

DieH@rd

Banned
I heard that XBO has resume feature which might take you to gameplay in under 1 sec. Hopefully, PS4 will have something similar.

This was first announced for PS4 back in February, but that is not feature that will speed up load times. That is for restoring the console from the turned off state to the on state, and then resuming the game that you have played before shutting down the console [data is not lost during shutdown].

Both consoles will support this, except it was delayed for PS4. It will not have it on launch.

This was first announced for PS4 back in February, but that is not feature that will speed up load times. That is for restoring the console from the turned off state to the on state, and then resuming the game that you have played before shutting down the console [data is not lost during shutdown].

Both consoles will support this, except it was delayed for PS4. It will not have it on launch.

suspend/resume was delayed on ps4? what?

Card Boy

Banned
Fucken good, this is the beauty of the COD series, Skippable intro screens and can boot straight to the multiplayer menu and your online playing a match in about 15 seconds as we'll.

Hated listening to that lame ass speach in Killzone each time you booted the game. Thing took like 2 minutes each time to get into a game. The lame thing is they patched that game so the menus where unskippable, fuck that shit.

Top Bottom