• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a "review event"?

sn00zer

PS4_review_event_invitation.jpg

So is this similar to bringing in a bunch of reviewers to watch a closed showing of a movie? If thats the case how is someone expected to play through a 10hr game in the course of two days?

I believe there are rumors of EA and Ubi doing something similar with Battlefield and AC4. So could someone shed some light on what these are? Are these a new trend or something thats been going on for a while? Do other industries do something similar (I am aware the movie industry does this)?

tbm24

2 days where your sole purpose is to play a game, I sure hope you'd be able to play through a 10 hour game.

If this is a scenario where review copies aren't being sent to reviewers, who are instead forced to play it at these events - well, then that's absurd.

They have to compete for The Tester Season 4

Unfortunately, there will likely be no such thing. I was on Season 3 and it's not looking likely lol.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Basically, reviewers are thrown into an environment controlled entirely by the publisher. Not anywhere near how games should be reviewed.

Seems like this is the topic of discussion in that thread about Sessler. I am guessing that many many smaller sites and reviewers are not being giving this option, perhaps it is just not realistic for them to do it this way or they are against reviews being done in this manner.

gogojira

Option A: Come to our house, sit in this couch, play our games, drink our Kool Aid and write a review.

Option B: Don't attend and we'll get you a unit one day, or you can buy one at launch. Good luck!

Dead Man

Basically, reviewers are thrown into an environment controlled entirely by the publisher. Not anywhere near how games should be reviewed.

No, it isn't. It is a pretty stupid idea to make that the only way to get official review footage or something. But reviewers should have bitched more about it when R* did it, and they can always review on their own time.

Don't like it, then don't support it. Also, don't make cryptic fucking tweets about it and expect anyone to care.

gogojira

why would anyone care about video game reviews

Because impressions and reviews assist in purchasing decisions and it's better to get clear-headed opinions. It's never a perfect representation of how you'll see a game, but I'll never understand the "oh who needs reviews!!!" point of view.

Are they complaining about the equivalent of what amounts to a film screening? It can't be something that would cause a loose cannon to want to leave the industry.

yeah but the point is that why would you care about any of these opinions about video games when you're not even playing them? enthusiast press is garbage aside from entertainment value and outside of identifying and catering to people who happen to share the same taste as you.

watership

Are they complaining about the equivalent of what amounts to a film screening? It can't be something that would cause a loose cannon to want to leave the industry.

Ah ha, but Film screenings are different. If your screening a film, you're especially experiencing the same thing a normal viewer would see. Albeit, before the movie releases.

A review event/junket is a controlled environment, with representatives there over your shoulder to 'help you'. You're usually given a controller and all you can do is press start. You have a time limit, you may not be able to capture video, you'll have to use the official b roll. You're not testing the game as a consumer would be. Staged.

There has been lots of controversy over this before with Rockstar and Microsoft's Halo 3 event. Jeff Gerstmann has been pretty outspoken about how much he loathes them, as have other outlets.

Anyone who goes to this shouldn't be trusted. Any previews or review posted from this should not be trusted. I have a PS4 pre-ordered, but just say NO for fucks sake. It's not hard. Grow a spine. I would send a letter back saying you are cordially invited to send us review copies of games if you wish them to be reviewed. The censored version of me would say you are cordially invited to go fuck yourself if you think I am going to a review event.

Mik2121

These things have been going on for a long time now.

If reviewers are that worried about getting their content manipulated by the publishers, then release the review with a notice saying it's based on your experience during such event, and that you will modify or release a second review whenever the game is released or they get their own copy from the publisher.

I don't see the deal here.

yeah but the point is that why would you care about any of these opinions about video games when you're not even playing them? enthusiast press is garbage aside from entertainment value and outside of identifying and catering to people who happen to share the same taste as you.

Ou13tQE.gif

Yep. This means that for example a publisher can completely hide that PC games has severe technical issues or they could hide the platform you're playing on.

What if you the publishers say you're playing on PS4 or X1 but in fact you're playing a game on SLI Titans?

why would you trust any of these stupid opinions about video games when there's whole events set up to cater to them
Crazy as shit I know, but not all reviews come from events.

These reviews aren't for the press, they're for the publishers to completely control what is said about the games up until release.

sn00zer

I am currently assuming this is a one time thing for launch as its going to be a nightmare (or stupid expensive) to send out a console to every reviewer before launch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Option A: Come to our house, sit in this couch, play our games, drink our Kool Aid and write a review.

Option B: Don't attend and we'll get you a unit one day, or you can buy one at launch. Good luck!

Option C: A stack of well written reviews will be thrown in the air and each journalist will have a chance at taking one.

Like a swap meet for game journalist.

Developer cuts don't get created anymore do they? Production copy or whatever it's called. I think they do this a lot, but us lay people don't know about it unless someone tells us.

Hyunashi

Anyone who goes to this shouldn't be trusted. Any previews or review posted from this should not be trusted. I have a PS4 pre-ordered, but just say NO for fucks sake. It's not hard. Grow a spine. I would send a letter back saying you are cordially invited to send us review copies of games if you wish them to be reviewed. The censored version of me would say you are cordially invited to go fuck yourself if you think I am going to a review event.

The thing is, if you choose not to go there will be someone else out there that will jump at the opportunity. While I never take reviews seriously and play games I feel are worth my time, there are people out there that will jump on the first reviews and if they are positive, will immediately get said game.

Games used to be complete. Systems used to not have operating systems and just work.

PC games starting patching errors in games.

Consoles got hard drives and internet connections and started, slowly, patching games.

Consoles this gen patched most games on day one and sometime after and updated their firmware often.

Going into next gen we already have confirmation of a game (Forza) not even being complete on the disc and needing a day one patch to make it a full game. Also the PS4 and Xbox One will both have day one firmware updates. Also... if there's a game without a day one patch at launch it will be named Just Dance.

So what's a review event? It's either of these console holders trying to get their firmware and the games' most recent patches in place before letting the press review them.

Is it lame? Yes. Is it surprising in the least? Nope.

RE_Player

An event in which the publisher controls the environment for the press to come in and play the game. These are controversial as they do not emulate the home environment at all as they might be running non-final code promising certain things will be fixed at launched, have people help the press get through the game amongst a multitude of other things.

It's ultimately a choice for the press to go so complaining about them is stupid. Is the publisher trying to influence you to give a more positive review? Of course! If I was in there situation I would do the same thing because that is part of the job, trying to do the best thing to move your product. If the press want to get early clicks and ad revenue than they have to expect to make the deal with the devil and play by the publisher rules otherwise wait until launch day and do your own coverage.

Ah ha, but Film screenings are different. If your screening a film, you're especially experiencing the same thing a normal viewer would see. Albeit, before the movie releases.

A review event/junket is a controlled environment, with representatives there over your shoulder to 'help you'. You're usually given a controller and all you can do is press start. You have a time limit, you may not be able to capture video, you'll have to use the official b roll. You're not testing the game as a consumer would be. Staged.

There has been lots of controversy over this before with Rockstar and Microsoft's Halo 3 event. Jeff Gerstmann has been pretty outspoken about how much he loathes them, as have other outlets.

On top of that they have to review the console itself that's going to be pretty damn hard to do at a review event. Plus they have 2 days to put together everything. For us regular folk its no biggie but I can understand why Sessler's pissed.

UberTag

I think review events are fine.

Soak in as much content as you need to get your early review out the door... and if you feel you didn't get enough of the full game experience due to time constraints revisit it after it's been released and update your review with an addendum review that covers the additional material.

And if you have to pony up for the half-dozen games you feel merit the extra review time because the pubs aren't giving you a handout, so be it.

Dead Man

The thing is, if you choose not to go there will be someone else out there that will jump at the opportunity. While I never take reviews seriously and play games I feel are worth my time, there are people out there that will jump on the first reviews and if they are positive, will immediately get said game.

Sure, but if you know an industry is ethically unsound, and you play along until x point later on, I struggle to have too much sympathy for you. If they are worried about working ethically, then they should work ethically in all their reviews, or find another industry in which they can be ethical while being competitive. If more of them did that, the review industry wouldn't be where it is now.

JDSN

Banned
Its what you create as a corporation after realizing that you hold all the cards since game journalists are click-hungry jokes that will squirm and complain on twitter but ultimately bend over like the shills they are.

Thats what all the twitter complains are about, this is the kind of situation that makes face their own persuadable nature, because at the end, they all know they are caving in.

The thing is, if you choose not to go there will be someone else out there that will jump at the opportunity.

Let them and let them reveal themselves as the shills they are. The curtain has already been pulled away from the Wizard of Oz this generation. I'll respect those who don't go to this event. I don't trust exclusive reviews or previews and I don't trust review events. The sad thing is the gaming press doesn't realize they have power. They have the power to say no. If random Youtube guy wants to go to the press event so be it. I expect more out of professionals.

watership

On top of that they have to review the console itself that's going to be pretty damn hard to do at a review event. Plus they have 2 days to put together everything. For us regular folk its no biggie but I can understand why Sessler's pissed.

There is a reason they were being cryptic, they're trying to get it changed, without posting "FUCK SONY", because that doesn't work. This won't affect us directly, but it impacts them a great deal. In the end we'll be getting 'staged' reactions, but I think most early adopters are buying these games no matter the reviews.

-PXG-

This

Thank you.

This is why I've never given a single fuck about gaming press for a long time.

So is this similar to bringing in a bunch of reviewers to watch a closed showing of a movie? If thats the case how is someone expected to play through a 10hr game in the course of two days?

I believe there are rumors of EA and Ubi doing something similar with Battlefield and AC4. So could someone shed some light on what these are? Are these a new trend or something thats been going on for a while? Do other industries do something similar (I am aware the movie industry does this)?

I remember reading about a Gears of War 2 review event somewhere. So yeah, this has been going on for a while.

Dead Man

There is a reason they were being cryptic, they're trying to get it changed, without posting "FUCK SONY", because that doesn't work. This won't affect us directly, but it impacts them a great deal. In the end we'll be getting 'staged' reactions, but I think most early adopters are buying these games no matter the reviews.

Here's an idea. They could have written what was bothering them, factually and calmly, no need for a fuck sony post or anything like that. But no, we had to have twitter drama again.

They have acted like children.

Top Bottom