• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: PS4 vs Xbox One: why Microsoft’s console is the superior multimedia box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanmik

http://www.edge-online.com/features...softs-console-is-the-superior-multimedia-box/

read the article.. (it´s very short)

Xbox One
It has since somewhat redressed the balance, but still wants Xbox One to the absolute centre of your living room. Chief among its strategies is the ability to integrate your TV by plugging a set-top box into the console’s HDMI in port. This, along with Skype, streaming services such as HBO, ESPN and Netflix, and a Blu-ray drive are all controllable through Kinect’s improved voice recognition and Xbox One’s clean UI

PS4
Unlike Xbox One – which requires a Live Subscription for any online activity, plus game recording and sharing – streaming services such as Hulu, LoveFilm and Netflix, and party chat will be available to all PS4 owners. Sony’s redesigned XMB interface is less cluttered, though it still doesn’t feel as intuitive as Xbox One’s UI. One nice touch, however, is the ability to switch to motion control when typing by clicking the right stick. It’s a surprisingly intuitive alternative to navigating by D-pad

If you want a multimedia box and don’t mind Kinect’s insidious side, Xbox One is the clear winner.

Paskil

I'm not even sure I agree with the basic premise. The fact that apps are locked behind the paywall on XB1 brings an inferior experience to the table, until you shell out for gold. It has TV viewing and HBOGo as apps that are not present on PS4, is there anything else there that isn't on PS4?

The snap and TV functions are neat, but most people still getting cable already have a cable box that might already have more functionality than the XB1 right out of the box.

Bundy

Banned
Superior because you can navigate with Kinect?
lulz
Well... no!
Surely not for me.

(And as they have said: Most of the stuff on the PS4 is NOT behind a paywall = Perfect multimedia box for me)

Skeff

Poor "article" they make a huge point about Voice control on XB1 and fail to mention it on PS4. The only other difference they talk about is the paywall, the conclusion doesn't match the article.

casnix

How so? You don't need PS+ to watch Netflix, etc. In my book, that makes PS4 the better multimedia box.

x-Lundz-x

Read the article.

Only thing MS has that I can't get on my PS4 (That I'm interesed in) is HBOGO. I'll stick with my Roku for that.

Alx

Surprising detail about the PS4 :

One nice touch, however, is the ability to switch to motion control when typing by clicking the right stick. It’s a surprisingly intuitive alternative to navigating by D-pad.

So you need a controller to trigger the controller-less... controls ?
I'm not sure about the "when typing" part too, is it about a speech to text feature (in which case I wouldn't call it "motion control") ? Or are you entering text with gestures ?

Bundy

Banned
Poor "article" they make a huge point about Voice control on XB1 and fail to mention it on PS4. The only other difference they talk about is the paywall, the conclusion doesn't match the article.
Yep!
Very short article with nearly no info at all.
And as I've said: No, they're wrong (in my eyes) :)

Not sure anyone can answer this question yet until the consoles are released.

We'll see, the current generation of consoles handled my media playing so it's unlikely either will become better suddenly.

Andrefpvs

Yeah, I don't think there's any argument here, this was Microsoft's vision all along.

I'll be disappointed, however, if the PS4 can't play the most common music and video files. I don't think we've heard any confirmation on this yet. And if they do include video playback, I hope they stop being stupid regarding MKV support.

DBT85

It will be great as a multimedia box. In the US.

Anywhere else and its a crapshoot and so is going to get judged on the games alone.

Am I missing something, I only see two paragraphs and that's it?

They've done that a bit recently. Had one about how the PS4 was easier to develop on with almost no content in the article at all.

Respawn

Banned
These articles from Edge are getting ridiculous. It's like they are trying there darndest to bolster the fledgling. Well Edge you are probably right but in this day and age there are so many devices already that do these things plus the rest of the world might want to take to you about what is so enriching for them from this.

coldfoot

Banned
Paywall to access paid subscription apps - LOL.
Any device that has that is a JOKE of a multimedia box.
This is not 2006, we live in a world where Roku, AppleTV, etc. exist for less than 2 years of Live subscription and no recurring costs.

Mrbob

Not much meat to the article. Kind of pointless to exist.

I don't think anyone expected the PS4 to be the "better" multi media box anyway. As long as the Ps4 is still good everyone will be happy.

Skeff

Surprising detail about the PS4 :

So you need a controller to trigger the controller-less... controls ?
I'm not sure about the "when typing" part too, is it about a speech to text feature (in which case I wouldn't call it "motion control") ? Or are you entering text with gestures ?

Voice is always active I think, I believe that is typing on the onscreen keyboard using the touchpad, like yosp did at gamescom.

KAL2006

Banned
There are only 2 things I can think of what makes MS system superior to PS4 when it comes to multimedia. Snap feature and TV in.

Both features are useless to me, Snap is cool for some Skype while gaming other than that, I'd rather pull out my smartphone if I want to multitask while watching something on my system. As for TV In, thats useless to me as I barely watch TV, and I wouldnt want another system powered on if I did. So in conclusion both systems seems pretty much equal, so a PS4 is a no brainer as it's cheaper

jonnyp

lulz
Well... no!
Surely not for me.

(And as they have said: Most of the stuff on the PS4 is NOT behind a paywall = Perfect multimedia box for me)

Yeah, I don't get it. I wasted time reading that waiting for just one argument to prove their statement. It's not there.

What a load of utter bollocks.

The paywall makes this a questionable advantage. Plus, practically every Bluray player out there, even the $80 ones, have netflix capability. Hell, some TVs even do HBOGo.

Man

Media access behind paywall: Clear winner.

Don't they have an editor that review articles before print?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It's a great entertainment device because you can plug your STB into it?
...Okay Edge, I believe you.

madmackem

I dont understand how having a hdmi input makes it a better multimedia machine? does that mean my hdmi switch with four of them beats them all?.

glaurung

These partisan articles from EDGE are becoming weird.

It is almost as if MS moneyhatted the shit out of FutureNet Publishing, forcing these apologetic redemption pieces after EDGE declared the PS4 as winner of the 8th race. On the cover...

I hope this is all contained in the shittier parts of the magazine - and when the time comes, EDGE reviewers will still kick the shit out of both PS4 and Xbox One games if those aren't up to snuff.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is meaningless, I want to know about DLNA features, codec support, configuration options. I feel dirty having fallen for this click bait article.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
lulz
Well... no!
Surely not for me.

I honestly think the HDMI pass-through helps push it over the top. For me, being able to use the XBO instead of my ugly-ass Mediacom cable UI will be fantastic. Also the deals MS has made with the NFL will be nice if they can get ESPN added to fantasy football and stuff for next season.

dugdug

Banned
This one has a couple more apps, but, is behind a paywall and the Kinect could invade your privacy.

This one has less apps, no paywall, and a controller that does things.

The first one is the CLEAR winner.

A "clear winner" at this point in the gen? And with XBOX multimedia apps being behind a paywall? Insane.

yeah, in fact it might be the worse multimedia box out there. If i am buying a multimedia box why should I have to pay to access the features of it.

I wont be using my PS4 as a multimedia box, but I am glad that none of the multimedia stuff is behind a paywall and I am free to use them whenever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom