• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller has a gyroscope. Steam will tell you what HW you need to play a game

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5...chine-valves-video-game-console-of-the-future

Gyroscope:

The Steam Controller has a gyroscope, it turns out, one which Valve plans to enable in a software update to add motion control. The company will be shipping an API for games that uses the controller's touchpads and touchscreen natively when it rolls out the prototype units, and all of Valve's own game development teams are already integrating support into their games.

HW checking:

When I ask whether Steam Machines will have a dedicated hardware specification, the team reveals that they're working on something a little more elegant: a system built into Steam that shows you which games your hardware configuration can actually run, and conversely, what hardware you'd need to buy to play a given game well — based on the real-world data about computer configurations that Valve already collects with its Steam Hardware Survey.

"It's one of these places where Steam is particularly and perhaps uniquely positioned to be able to actually help customers… we're sitting at the nexus of these hardware specs, so we can harvest data about what's going on, and repeat it back in a digestible form to every Steam user who cares," Coomer explains. Valve says it hasn't hammered out all the details yet, but it plans to launch such a feature next year.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm... so extremely disappointed Valve isn't setting a "console level" standard for their "boxes"/PC titles. This is what I wanted the most from the Steambox: Optimized PC games that run on the level of a console performance to where people didn't need to upgrade except every five years unless they wanted to upgrade for better performance/graphics before then.

It looks like they're pulling an iPhone "oh your phone can run this and this and this, but newer titles won't run" situation which I don't really like. It's understandable on phones with a huge moving target/every revision but with PC/Console titles it shouldn't be that way. :/

Jibbed

This hardware recommendation service should be nothing short of godly with the amount of information at their disposal.

Syf

Banned
This hardware recommendation service should be nothing short of godly with the amount of information at their disposal.
Seriously, this will be a great tool. This and the community-recommended controller layouts for each game. I'm very excited.

I'm... so extremely disappointed Valve isn't setting a "console level" standard for their "boxes"/PC titles. This is what I wanted the most from the Steambox: Optimized PC games that run on the level of a console performance to where people didn't need to upgrade except every five years unless they wanted to upgrade for better performance/graphics before then.

It looks like they're pulling an iPhone "oh your phone can run this and this and this, but newer titles won't run" situation which I don't really like. It's understandable on phones with a huge moving target/every revision but with PC/Console titles it shouldn't be that way. :/

You're making some pretty big assumptions here. You also don't seem to grasp that Valve isn't the one making all the hardware. The OS is free to any manufacture, so it's really up to 3rd parties to create whatever levels of capability they want to. To think that in two years time, your setup won't run games anymore suggests you haven't done much PC gaming.

Very worst case, you have to go from ultra to high or medium settings. You will still be running games 5+ years down the road assuming you aren't on bottom of the barrel hardware to begin with.

moggio

Banned

Except they're not doing any of that at all.

Mihos

Gold Member

Wait... you don't concider PCs a moving target? And you want PC games to run at console levels of performance? If you are seriously saying PCs should be consoles, I have to veto that.

What in the world are you talking about?

xn0

I kind of like Valve's approach. I'm sure that the games will run on the lesser Steam Boxes however the level of texture/graphics will definitely be different between the systems. Also given that Steam Box becomes popular you will definitely see game dev's optimize for the HW in the Steam Box systems.

That is the beauty of PC games, the platform is so diverse and moving from a hardware perspective that you have people that can play BF4 on low settings on a laptop but ultra on a high end gaming rig. I fear that if you try to homogenize the PC then game devs will definitely optimize for the platform, but you will limit devs from pushing the limits of the latest hardware as soon as its developed.

Goldrush

Hardware recommendation is a minefield for publisher relations. Can't imagine that any wants Steam to tell a potential customer that they will be unable to run a game.

Hardware recommendation is a minefield for publisher relations. Can't imagine that any wants Steam to tell a potential customer that they will be unable to run a game.

True. But they will likely do this only for the absolute minimum ones, which most people will likely meet anyway. "You need a DX11 card to play this game! Here are some of our suggestions based on player data: a) b) c)"

Faustek

Gyroscope:
The Steam Controller has a gyroscope, it turns out, one which Valve plans to enable in a software update to add motion control. The company will be shipping an API for games that uses the controller's touchpads and touchscreen natively when it rolls out the prototype units, and all of Valve's own game development teams are already integrating support into their games.

Sixaxis...

spirity

whoah

0DehSNO.jpg

How is the HW spec checking supposed to work. It will tell you if you can play a game locked at 60 fps at 1080p or what you need in order to get there?

If it just says "You can run this game" or "You need XYZ in order to run this game" it's worthless.

It needs to tell you what frames/res/graphics options you can expect or don't bother.

Wiktor

So you would like Valve to singlehandely kill all the progress in pcgaming market, striffle hardware innovation and limit what devs can do. Great stuff. If you want that just get a console, don't try to bring this into PC

Wiktor

How is the HW spec checking supposed to work. It will tell you if you can play a game locked at 60 fps at 1080p or what you need in order to get there?

If it just says "You can run this game" or "You need XYZ in order to run this game" it's worthless.

It needs to tell you what frames/res/graphics options you can expect or don't bother.

The company I work at once had this type of prototype software. It was bassicaly fraps, only that it recored also the hardware and then uploaded the results to a server. There it was supposed to be compiled and allow people to see how game will run on their hardware. The software was ultimatelly canceled before wide release, but I always thought it was a damn shame. Steam, with it's huge userbase, would be perfect for functionality like this.

If you want to know "if you can play a game locked at 60 fps at 1080p" you are likely not the user this feature is designed for (which also explains your "don't bother") response.

I imagine it works like this: let's say you are going to buy for example game Awesome_Shooter, but you have a 512MB VRAM graphics card. Steam will inform you that:

"This game requires a DX11 graphics card with 1GB VRAM, while your own has 512MB.
The publisher's recommends: <list publisher's recommendations here>
The top 5 most popular graphics cards used by players of this game currently are: <a, b, c, d, e>"

Top Bottom