• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else using Steam Big Picture mode regularly? Impressions within.

thefil

I've recently become a pretty regular user of Steam Big Picture Mode. I have my desktop in the same room as my TV (I live in a 4 room apartment) and run an HDMI cable from one to the other.

With all the talk of SteamOS and Steam Machines, which I desperately want to succeed, I have been testing some stuff out. My impressions are pretty negative, and I'd like to hear if things are working better for anyone else.

First of all, in Windows. I own 147 Steam games with controller support, but it feels like less than 25% of those have full controller support, which means I'm configuring them on my PC, or often going through an intermediate "launcher" to get started. This is fine for me now, but what about people who aren't going to have a mouse plugged into their Steam Machine? Will they have to read the tiny config popup text from the couch while using the trackpad to click "Go"? For example, Skyrim is horrible to click "play" on from the couch, even with a wireless mouse. Note not even many of Valve's games have full controller support - Half Life 2 does not, and TF2's controller support which I recently tried is serviceable, but the UI needs a "big" mode for configuring from a TV.

Plus, Big Picture Mode is still BUGGY. Pretty much half the time I launch a game in it (lately I've been playing Dark Souls, Spelunky HD, Poker Night 2, and Geometry Wars), after popping in and out of the overlay a few times, the interface gets confused. The most common error is that even though I'm in the overlay and I can HEAR it responding to my actions, what I see is a chat screen, or game info screen, or what have you frozen in front of me. So the visual part of the interface is frozen while it's clearly still working in the background. The only way to fix this seems to be quitting Steam and restarting, not a good option on a TV-only Steam Machine.

Another bug I have is that sometimes when I quit a game I don't go back to big picture, but rather to the windows desktop with big picture in an unfocused window in the background. Again, not a big deal when I have a mouse, but a huge pain in the ass without one.

I've also put some (though admittedly much less) time into testing Steam out under Ubuntu. Multimonitor support in Linux is a train wreck for another year at least until the X stack gets phased out, so I'm forced to change to single monitor, TV-only mode to even get basic behaviours working, such as putting Big Picture mode on the correct screen. Once I do this, launching a full controller support game like Mark of the Ninja is still liable to change my system resolution until I change it back manually in the system settings (it feels like trying to run 16bit color mode games in Windows XP). This may actually be the most surmountable of the problems for Steam Machines and SteamOS though, as they can pretty much consistently expect an unchanging 1080p display - but if the games don't take that as the default, the problem may still show up.

Another problem under Linux is load times. First of all, disk performance on Linux is generally bad. But I think what's really killing it is the need to compile shaders just in time. Loading up Crusader Kings 2 takes literally 10 minutes on my i5 3570K and GTX 660Ti. This is exactly the opposite of the "pick up and play" mentality we want on a console-like platform.

So basically I'm pretty disappointed in the level of polish here. Things are not as "good to go" as I'd hoped. The Steam software has traditionally been pretty bad (it had hanging problems and would delete categories/favorites until quite recently) but I'd hoped Valve would have gotten it together by now for this much more entry-level platform.

Is anyone else using BPM or Steam Linux regularly? Are you experiencing similar issues, or have things been better? How ready is Valve for this leap deeper into user space?

KHlover

Banned
I don't use it. The menu is a mess :/
Activated it once to be eligable for the Steam machines Beta, took me 10min and a Google search to deactivate it again.

smuf

I've been using it as my main gaming platform for about a year now.
Overall I like it but things could be a lot smoother. Lack of controller support in a lot of titles breaks it.

I hate that a lot of the time games with proper controller support still prompt a splash screen (IE config settings, u play ...) which require me to use the mouse to start the game. I realise this is the publisher/devs fault and not Valve's but it's still crappy.

It'd also be nice if they'd integrate something amongst the lines of Nvidia's Geforce Experience which I find super convenient.

I don't use it regularly but it seemed fine the few times I have used it.

One thing about the steambox though is the controller should be capable of emulating mouse input just fine so it will handle games that don't have controller support built in.

I'm not too familiar with linux disc read issues but perhaps that is a component of the steamos that will be improved.

Momentary

Banned
Instead of companies having a splash screen with graphic settings maybe Valve could set something up where developers can set up graphic graphic configurations for their games within BPM.

Robot Pants

Use it all the time. Love it. Steam community part of it has some real bugs to work out but overall it's great.

chupon

I use it for titles that work well with a controller, like Ports from console games. Sometimes it does weird stuff on me, but the last few weeks have been fine.

I'm liking the big picture mode, perfect for gaming couch besides a few hic cups that need to be ironed out.

Activated it once to be eligable for the Steam machines Beta, took me 10min and a Google search to deactivate it again.

Really? only took me a few seconds to find and deactivate it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I think when you consider that it has to work with a lot of games and launchers that weren't designed for it, it works pretty well. That being said, if you have something like this:

elIqBy4.jpg

you're just much better off using the normal Steam UI.

I don't like it.

Call me old fashioned, but I like scrolling tree-menus with instant access to everything.

I hate jumping around the screen trying to find stuff.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What? No really, show the math.

You hit the big picture button to enter, you exit big picture mode by hitting the exit button on the main menu. That's the extent of "deactivating" big picture mode.

I do know it seems like a mess because EVERY STEAM UPDATE in the last 3 months has been 80% Big Picture bug fixes.

Lots of "FIXED CRASH IF I PRESSED BUTTON HUR HUR" in the changelog. Holy fuck, how hard is it to get it stable?

Tomodachi

I don't use it that often because I don't need it that much at the moment, although I really like it, easily beats 360 and PS3's UIs.
However it's still pretty bugged at least for me, like when the screen freezes but the buttons keep working and menus open "behind" the frozen one. Or the fact that it endlessly opens windows one upon the other even defying the logical sequence of menus (and you have to close the endless list of windows open by pressing the B button on the 360 pad). Or when it launches in fullscreen mode but the start bar (win7) is still completely visible. Some games also seem to have some issues with it.

Other than that it's a pretty impressive UI and I can't wait to install Steam OS to see it work better. The text input method is genius.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I do know it seems like a mess because EVERY STEAM UPDATE in the last 3 months has been 80% Big Picture bug fixes.

Lots of "FIXED CRASH IF I PRESSED BUTTON HUR HUR" in the changelog. Holy fuck, how hard is it to get it stable?
Shit, man. It's almost like you've used it.

I've been transported to the vivid landscape your experiences have painted before my eyes.

ghibli99

The interface is nice, but when I'm on my PC, I like a more powerful interface, so I just stick with the default. I'll load it up every once in a while to see what -- if anything -- has changed. When I compare it to its competing interfaces on console, I like it along with the PS3. 360 interface trails a distant, distant third. It used to be so good. :(

I don't hate it or anything, but I honestly looked at it once and said "never again". I don't like it.
I've been transported to the vivid landscape your experiences have painted before my eyes.
LOL. I know you're not talking to me but I kind of felt guilty of the same thing. So here goes:

I think there's a lot of empty space in the interface so I feel like I have to look all over the place to find things. It's probably because I'm not used to it, but to be honest it doesn't "call out" to me with the UI design right away so I don't feel compelled to play with it.

It has a nasty habit of silently crashing in the background for me which, depending on the game, can mean it stops saving (again, without coming up with any sort of error message) and I lose an hour or two of progress before I notice.

R1CHO

I want to like it but is kind of a mess... that's the problematic thing with Valve, they are trying to push with a full O.S. and they can't even patch Big Picture properly in all this time.

Sometimes it works well, others it crashes, or freezes in a black screen when you tried to enter it from the game.

That and it's still lacking a lot of features from the regular client.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's worthless. Hopefully Steam OS will make developers get serious about controller support.
I'll likely use the Steam Controller for almost half of my games when it comes out. That will make the regular Windows interface even more attractive than it is now.

NewGame

Banned
Steam Big Picture mode seems to be a glorious full screen amplification of all the bugs and issues I have with Steam.

And it doesn't interest me because when I open steam I go straight to DotA and nothing else.

M3d10n

Yeah, Valve's glacial pace at making their software actually stable and polished is something people are forgetting in this whole SteamOS story. It'll be years before the thing becomes as friendly and hassle-free as a console.

Stimpack

When I play on my console I use a controller. When I play on my computer I use a mouse and keyboard. (Of course there are tons of games on the PC that I use a controller with, but in regards to basic navigation I stick with the mouse and keyboard.) Hopefully the Steam Box makes Big Picture Mode worth using for me.

Monooboe

I actually use it often, whenever I play a game on the TV I use big picture mode. I've never really encountered any problems, but then again I usually play games I know have good controller support on the TV.

erawsd

I've tried using it on a few occasions and it never works well. I prefer to just launch the game from my PC and take over from there.

Korezo

It's very bad, profiles, achievements, badges almost everything is web based which is stupid. Everything should be integrated to the system not launch a damn website if I want to see my profile or game achievements. It's only good to launch those few console port games that launch with no other extra window.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's very bad, profiles, achievements, badges almost everything is web based which is stupid. Everything should be integrated to the system not launch a damn website if I want to see my profile or game achievements. It's only good to launch those few console port games that launch with no other extra window.

Seriously.
Leave that janky shit to Origin.

JSoup

Banned
It's nice, but I've found it to be slow and with a high failure rate. I'll stick with the standard Steam menu for now.

Lazaro

I only activate Big Picture when I play controller compatible games like Sonic, La-Mulana, Castlevania, Orcs Must Die, DX HR, etc. You definitely benefit with being able to look up a guide on the internet easily with the controller. Sadly some games don't play nicely when I use that feature; Like you mentioned, it sort of crashes but you can still hear it in the background.

It definitely needs a lot more work as their are of course bugs and some of the "Full Controller Compatible" titles don't play nicely with the interface. It could also use a more attractive design. I'm hoping they'll let you at least change the colour of the interface to suit your tastes.

I love it, but it is not very hmm comfortable. clunky and laggy for me, which could happen because i have a 5 year old pc. but i like the look and the idea behind it.

TAJ

I only activate Big Picture when I play controller compatible games like Sonic, La-Mulana, Castlevania, Orcs Must Die, DX HR, etc. You definitely benefit with being able to look up a guide on the internet easily with the controller. Sadly some games don't play nicely when I use that feature; Like you mentioned, it sort of crashes but you can still hear it in the background.

Print out a FAQ before you start playing. Boom.
Next best option is to have a tablet sitting next to you.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I used it regularly back maybe.... 6 months ago? I dunno. It had some issues, and it seemed to crash regularly. The bigger issue I had, though, was that a lot of games still required some sort of keyboard input to start even after you started them in big picture mode, so it kinda defeated the purpose of sitting on your couch with just a controller...

tjohn86

Linux disk performance is generally bad? What the hell are you talking about? A SATA drive is going to perform basically the same. If anything EXT4 should yield higher performance than NTFS.

AkuMifune

Banned
I have used it as my primary console for about 6 months now and while it's not flawless, it's not the mess some people make it out to be. I haven't had a crash in a long time, and I'm even on Windows 8. Or maybe I'm just used to the headaches. The #1 gripe is of course lack of controller support for all titles. But this is becoming less of an issue with every release and the Steam controller should make all the other titles viable. The other issue is the separate launchers that popup. But I've learned to use my phone and wifi mouse app just to get by those if editing the launcher settings doesn't make it go away.

It's a decent approximation of a current gen console experience, but Valve is really going to have to step it up a bit once the next gen machines drop.

scitek

I like how the overlay scales with whatever resolution I'm using so even when I'm downsampling from 4k everything's readable. I feel like the navigation could be handled a little better, particularly with the browser, but I honestly prefer to keep my mouse and keyboard next to me, anyway, and I just browse with them. I do like it pretty well, overall, but I haven't used it as much lately.

DrPreston

I've played with it a bit. Their solution for typing with a controller is unique but a complete pain in the ass. I can see how it should be faster than the traditional setup of navigating a qwerty keyboard with a d-pad but I just can't get the hang of it.
The web browser is also pretty clunky.
The UI for browsing games is pretty great.

Keits

Developer
I use it and enjoy it, though I have complaints.

In my living room, my PC's second monitor IS my 42" Sharp Aquos. Sometimes, games have a setting to play on the 2nd monitor, or I can play them in Windowed mode and drag them over. Otherwise, my only option is to temporarily make the 2nd monitor my main.

Big Picture has a setting to switch which monitor is the main automatically, and I like that. If I want to do some fullscreen, sofa gaming, its a quick and (mostly) easy fix.

Yes, it really sucks when some games have a launcher and I need to go to the PC to actually start them. Also, it sucks that some games wont install from the big picture menu either, and have to be installed before a first play in regular steam first.

The filter that only shows controller compatible games is nice too.

Kibs

Been using it as my main gaming platform for a couple of months now. Decided to try to replace my 360 with a custom htpc and so far it's been behaving pretty nicely. Keep in mind that 7 months ago big picture mode was hardly useable, but they did a pretty okay job patching it.
Community features still need a *lot* of bug fixing however. But yeah, the biggest issue by far is games having an annoying launcher window (skyrim) or not being flagged for controller support at all (mirror's edge). Combined with nvidia's drivers still having a ton of issues with hdmi passthrough ...

Miletius

I use it all the time, for controller based games at least. Personally, the experience has not been as buggy to me as it has been for you. However, I can confirm that a number of games that have partial or no controller support is pretty massive. The most annoying to me are multi-plat games that should have native controller support but only do in some respects.

I never use the web browser or look at achievements, either. Mostly because as you mentioned, it's a hassle to pop out of the game and into the Steam UI in Big Picture Mode. But I also don't really know how they could make that better.

I use it as much as possible. Uplay and origin popping up useless windows is a big issue along with no / poor gamepad support from many devs. Even with the issues I do appreciate what valve is trying to do. I don’t enjoy playing games at a desk so I'm glad that they are spearheading this.

I use that lenovo mouse shown in an earlier post to help out.

galvatron

I've used it quite a bit, but I can't recommend using anything but he library selection screen. The community features seem a lot more responsive and more intuitively located on the normal UI. Steam chat messages are often truncated and disappear quickly making them serve as more of a "you've got mail" message than actually conveying what someone is trying to say to me. Also, some of my games require me to choose whether to start some config program or the main app during start up, which needs mouse interaction, defeating the point of big picture. As stated by other posters, the browser performs pretty badly on my desktop which has an i7, 16GB RAM with a Radeon 7850.

Still, cheapo games in HD on the TV makes it worth the minor trouble.

thefil

Linux disk performance is generally bad? What the hell are you talking about? A SATA drive is going to perform basically the same. If anything EXT4 should yield higher performance than NTFS.

I can't speak too much to this. It's just what I've heard from a friend of mine who is in systems research at my university, specifically looking to improve disk reads in Linux. I don't think the filesystem is bad, my impression is there are kernel-level choices made that optimize for somethings and not others. But as I said, not qualified to talk and I shouldn't have mentioned it in OP.

I use it pretty often as I can just press my playstation button and big picture starts up. If I could get rid of the XP warning that always pops up then it'd be even smoother. I still use a keyboard for chat. I can also shut the PC down from big picture mode as well.

Top Bottom