• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 3.5 Interview; in-depth Resident Evil 4 Beta analysis & new details

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
http://www.crimson-head.com/biohazard35.htm

A very extensive look at Resident Evil 3.5 (Resident Evil's development), and something I had been keeping my eyes on a while. Make a lot of observations in the full article, as well as lots of concept art and motion videos and old articles as well as some old interviews, but included is a new interview with Yasuhisa Kawamura, who was the scenario writer for Resident Evil 3 and helped work on the earlier builds of Resident Evil 4 (known as the Fog and Hookman versions), and revealed some new details. A whole analysis in the the topic above, as well as the whole interview transcript, but will highlight a few interesting details here.

The English translation is done by someone who's first language is not English, so some typos and the like are present, but it is completely readable and very interesting.

YK: Before answering, let me first define more accurately the context for which you use of the word 'version'. Usually, in the development of cinematic games, a game system is integrated into a world view & stories which are already defined, but this was not the case for biohazard 4.

Our priority was to build a 'game system & situation that induced fright & horror' first. Therefore, both the Hallucination and the Castle were essentially trial & error ideas that we thought of implementing – which ultimately didn't appear in the final version, of course.

In terms of the order in which things progressed, the Castle scenario came first – it was the most established - then the Hallucination element came second.

However, when the Hallucination was introduced into the narrative, the concept of the Castle, where Leon kept fighting while an illness was destroying him, was passed on. So although the Castle was replaced with the Hallucination, it remained in the game as an expression of Leon’s illness.

Also the mechanic where Leon could view a hallucinatory or spirit world and fight against its residents when the fog filled in the room, was considered then too. We had so many trials and errors in the development.

Shibata the director had a very clear concept which he described as “seeking the horror”. He had the image of 'the horror of mogaki' – or ‘struggling’. It can be difficult to directly translate this 'mogaki' word into its exact meaning, but it is a situation in which you try to wriggle with your whole body in fear, but cannot escape. He seemed to want me to create not just physical mogaki, but rather a state where Leon couldn't resist mental or psychological pains & difficulties. A kind of mogaki that’s similtaneously mental & physical.

This 'mogaki' was used as the key concept within the production team frequently as the keyword created by Shibata. In fact, the word mogaki is sometimes displayed during the continuous pressing of buttons to escape from the enemies in actual biohazard 4 game. Unfortunately, it's not in the non-Japanese version, as the word doesn't translate directly into other languages.

Shinji Mikami, the producer, also stated Biohazard was a ‘horror game’, and often demanded a production that was revolutionary in the horror genre - the concept he used was that of 'full model change', right from the beginning of the biohazard 4 production. Mikami first wanted something like The Thing, where you could not tell who was the enemy and who was a friend. I suggested a system where the game was about 'fears & doubts', but recapturing that essence in a game structure proved very difficult, so it fell through.

With such trial & error I had some world views & concepts of game systems to test, and I thought they would be suitable to express the 'horror' that Shibata, our director was searching for. The idea of hallucination – to be able to see into another plane of reality, was one of them.

In the winter of 2002, I gathered the staff and showed a scene from a film. It was a scene from Lost Souls, by Janusz Kaminski where the room started corroding blue and a killer started emerging, while the main character was washing her hands at the sink. This scene, this hallucinatory vision from the character, and the way the room changed in real-time moved me very much emotionally. So I brought up the idea of attempting this in a game.

First, I suggested that the main character travelled into a hallucinatory world which was caused by something caught in his vision, a trigger of horror. The first thing I wanted to create was the structure that the world would transform into - a horror hallucination world in real-time when viewing pictures, and other points of interest, or letters, etc. These would become triggers, as a means of seeing the story with clarity – understanding the truth behind the scenario, or seeing another truth outside the ‘real world’ scenario.

It was very interesting but was extremely difficult, as it meant effectively having two different worlds in one, operating simultaneously in real-time, which was a challenge given the memory restrictions & hardware specs in those days. In the process of resolving those problems, ideas from the other staff were adopted and the black fog, Leon’s monstrous arm, and the Hookman appeared in improvements & experiments.

There were many experiments & proposals, such as peeling skins off an enemy when attacking for example.

CHE: What was the featured virus of your build, and was it brought into the Castle, or already present therein, and if brought in by an outside party, who was responsible?

YK: The fog - it is a new gaseous bio-weapon by HCF, which was a new biological weapon company, that Wesker belonged to. It was brought into the Castle by a HCF squad, who planned to seize UMBRELLA HQ - Spencer’s castle. They ran into, and battled with Leon’s army, HCF troops were destroyed by the black fog. Leon’s army were also destroyed except for him, but Leon himself was also affected by the virus, with just a little time left to live, and then having to fight in what little time he had remaining. Incidentally, Wesker did not enter at this point.

CHE: Is there a link between Leon's infection & the pursuing tentacles? This creature looks similar to the Biohazard 5 virus Uroborus - is this mere coincidence?

YK: I have no knowledge of Uroborus. The 'Black Fog' is collection of viruses, gathered to form a bacteria sized entity, and they behave as if they have a unified, sole intelligence. The tentacles might be a hallucination, but also they might not be. The Uroborus virus was created for Biohazard 5.

According to the setting I created, the primal virus was a superhuman virus, found in an ancient fossilised human being, at an archaeological site, deep underground Spencer’s castle. This virus could not be applied to modern humans, but then the t-virus was created during a process of adaptation. However, while the t-virus could cause mutation, mutated beings could not thrive as a species (they were sterile), so there was no effective means other than to grow biological weapon through cloning.

There is also a t-virus like t-Veronica, improved for the purpose of making oneself super-human. So, in order to transcend the t-virus, Dr. William Birkin developed the G-virus. The concept of G-virus was so revolutionary, because a G-being would stabilize after mutation, then they could breed with other G-beings, from the same species. There is a possibility that Sherry was the only G-being in the world. Was Annette working on the vaccine for G-virus?

This was my own setting and is no longer official, but the biohazard 4 I was involved with, was built with the FLAGSHIP world view. This is my feeling. The change of name to BIOHAZARD with capital letters may be the declaration that the game is no longer the same as previous biohazards. Naturally the staff in the production have been replaced and Mr. Mikami has left too. I do not think it is wrong. It’s restarted. Hence what they are doing now is the right way.

CHE: What, if anything, causes the mannequin dolls & the Hookman to animate, and then attack Leon? Are they merely non-moving hallucinations, or actually part of the lucid world? Are they B.O.Ws, or are they secondary infectants?

YK: They are mostly Leon's hallucinations. Some are hallucinations, but others could be B.O.Ws, or enemies in the 'real' world. However, they are far from lucid reality since Leon only sees them when he is delirious. So they die when Leon dies. You hear a story that a person develops a blister when he is hypnotized to believe that he’s burnt. That was the kind of concept that we aimed to apply.

CHE: There was another attempted build after your Hallucination version which has been commonly referred to as the 'Zombie' version, but it was never revealed publicly, and details are scant. Are you in a position to give further detail on this?

YK: That was after I departed the team. We had the prototype of Ganados while I was still there. Originally it was applied from the idea of 'doubts and fear', horror of who was who, like The Thing. It was called 'Doba man' because their faces would suddenly split and show the real identity. Doba is an imitative word describing a sudden movement. It was me who thought of what it was called, since the model was built first for Ganado, and I then I put a lot of my own thoughts into it, experimenting with the 'Doba man' as a project.

The man also seems interested in working on more horror games as he states its his passion, but as it is in Japan there is no teams that focus on it so he has to work something like a mercenary.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
One of the most fascinating things ever. Early RE4 looked soooooooooo good (for a survival horror).

Canning horror-RE4 is definitely one of the most disappointing things of last gen. I guess REmake will stay the series' king forever.

Gotta love how Leon was still infected in the final game but it did absolutely nothing in the end

Jawmuncher

While I still love the RE4 we got. Part of me wishes I could've played the earlier concepts of it as well. If only there was a way to travel to other dimensions where those games exist.

Dusk Golem

While I still love the RE4 we got. Part of me wishes I could've played the earlier concepts of it as well. If only there was a way to travel to other dimensions where those games exist.

Same boat. Some ideas seemed to have been used in Resident Evil 5 (core concept of the progenitor virus and Spencer's role somewhat, Wesker owning or being higher-up in another company, Uroboros looks suspiciously similar to the monster seen in early trailers of RE4), but definitely not even close to the same game. Love RE4, but this likely would of been enjoyable too as a horror fan in different ways.

nin1000

Banned
Great read! Like many others i loved Resident Evil 4 to death!
But hose early videos they showed looked so damn promising!
wont raise my expectations about the series EVER returning to that as it wont attract those 6 Million players they are targeting.

Dusk Golem

Great read! Like many others i loved Resident Evil 4 to death!
But hose early videos they showed looked so damn promising!
wont raise my expectations about the series EVER returning to that as it wont attract those 6 Million players they are targeting.

While a lot of people skeptic, the closest we may come anytime soon is The Evil Within. See how that develops.

Dusk Golem

Since there's a lot of Resident Evil talk today and Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD PC was announced today, thought I'd bump this.

Dusk Golem

I would love a THE THING game, from mikami or maybe from the guys who are doing the Alien Isolation

There was a The Thing game that was actually pretty good, all things considered.

the-thing-ps2.jpg

A new one might be interesting though. That said, Mikami's final directing project is Evil Within, so I wouldn't hold much breath in that.

jonno394

Bookmarked for later. The prototypes always had me intrigued,more so that Resi 4 itself tbh, I remember the first time I saw the trailer for the fog trailer, I was so excited.

There was a The Thing game that was actually pretty good, all things considered.

A new one might be interesting though. That said, Mikami's final directing project is Evil Within, so I wouldn't hold much breath in that.

There was an interview where he said he changed his mind.

Zee-Row

Banned
What are the chances of RE 3.5 leaking on the internet like RE1.5? I'd like to play what little bit of it was made.

Sakujou

Banned
What are the chances of RE 3.5 leaking on the internet like RE1.5? I'd like to play what little bit of it was made.

as it said there was only little produced before it was scrapped... maybe that material shown is the only stuff which ever existed...

i think its funny to hear how there was a complete another version of how the re-series could have developed...

RE4 was a great game. But it seems like they really just needed to take a break from RE for a while. Considering DMC, they clearly weren't inspired to create a horror game. It's too bad the title ended up with the series name. Japanese horror games fell off a cliff shortly after (probably at least partly due to the inability to transition to HD consoles).

I wish RE4 Ultimate HD on Steam added archived, high quality footage of the beta in all of its forms. That would be fucking awesome.

Like RE 1.5, RE 3.5 is a very fascinating project.

Top Bottom