• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sears Tower vs One World Trade "that's a spire yo" Let's go Chicago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelseph

Sears Tower, the largest building in the United States of America squares off against it's shorter, spired, brother One World Trade as New York tries to appeal it's case to the Council of Tall Buildings today.

Sears Tower - Tallest in the world until 1998. 1,451 feet from pavement. Occupiable height of 1,353.

One World Trade - 1,368 feet tall without unoccupiable vanity spire.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im still in shock by how ugly the tower turned out, after all the promising designs they picked the most generic, boring possible building they could. What happened?

joelseph

3688217350_63173cedda_z.jpg

Chicago_skydeck.jpg

Willis-Tower-USA-2.jpg

USA USA USA

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Sears Tower is ugly, Empire State Building is a gorgeous masterwork of architecture.

Respect.

I look at the ESB every day and I still feel like it's a building from the future. Blows my mind every day, and I'm lucky as hell to wake up every morning and see it when i get out of bed.

joelseph

Respect.

I look at the ESB every day and I still feel like it's a building from the future. Blows my mind every day, and I'm lucky as hell to wake up every morning and see it when i get out of bed.

Looks like an old building with more of the same design. Just shorter.

tallestbuildings.jpg

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like an old building with more of the same design. Just shorter.]

The ESB's spire is futuristic looking as hell - and I don't think that was captured by that image.

In comparison, I think WTC 1's spire is boring. I can see both of them from my apartment and I think WTC is boring looking in general.

So today I learned the Council of Tall Buildings is a real thing.

Also, why does it seem the US is lagging so far behind in modern architecture? Its like all these other countries are developing cool buildings and stuff and nothing is happening in the US.

Edit:

Also, thank you OP, for using the Sears Towers' true name.

One World Trade is a terrible piece of cynical, bland architecture and is undeserving of it's title as tallest building in the US.

It strangely also rarely appears very tall, unlike the Sears Tower and the Twin Towers before. Probably due to perspective and neighboring buildings I suppose.

joelseph

I don't understand this thread.

New York is attempting to lengthen the spire to be taller than the Sears?

Today the Council of Tall Buildings is meeting to decide if the new One WTC is in fact taller than the Willis Towers which holds the current title in the United States. It boils down to a spire on top of the 1WTC and whether or not it should be considered an integral part of the architecture or a simple vanity piece meant to steal the title away from the true champ.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Today the Council of Tall Buildings is meeting to decide if the new One WTC is in fact taller than the Willis Towers which holds the current title in the United States. It boils down to a spire on top of the 1WTC and whether or not it should be considered an integral part of the architecture or a simple vanity piece meant to steal the title away from the true champ.
Oooh ok. smh NYC.

The One World Trade is shorter than the old Sears Tower. I thought New York was going to do the original Trade Centers justice, but instead they cheap out and make a shorter single tower...and it took almost 5 years to build that short and stubby tower with an antenna half the size of the tower itself ( cheating ). Good job NYC

Timbuktu

Im still in shock by how ugly the tower turned out, after all the promising designs they picked the most generic, boring possible building they could. What happened?

Probably designed by committee, too many interests involved and has to play it safe with any kind of potential symbolism in order no to offend anyone. The memorial is a great design though.

people been doing that since skyscraper dick waving was a thing, does this really require a meeting? Is there no official rule for this stuff?

joelseph

people been doing that since skyscraper dick waving was a thing, does this really require a meeting? Is there no official rule for this stuff?

Listening to the NPR piece this morning I remember hearing that there was an official ruling recently that alluded to allowing vanity spires in the official measurement but that this spire in particular is calling that ruling into question based on the highest occupiable space discrepancy between the two buildings.

Ironically, the Counsel of Tallest Buildings is located in Chicago. (But is made up of an international group of people.)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Almost as bad.

Nope.

Beautiful weather. Wonderful communities. Great quality of life. Wonderful people. Not very congested. Minimum taxes. Fantastic food (in my part of town). Tax dollars at work (clean and smooth roads, garbage always collected timely, police department is courteous, etc). Huge difference over living and growing up in NYC for over 20 years.

I also don't live in the shitty parts of Florida, which helps.

joelseph

Nope.

Beautiful weather. Wonderful communities. Great quality of life. Wonderful people. Not very congested. Minimum taxes. Fantastic food (in my part of town). Tax dollars at work (clean and smooth roads, garbage always collected timely, police department is courteous, etc). Huge difference over living and growing up in NYC for over 20 years.

I also don't live in the shitty parts of Florida, which helps.

I'm just playing. Love me the east coast sans NYC ;)

Would love to be in Naples sitting in a 3 walled house on the 9th tee of some gated community eating fruits with my toes in the hot tub.

slit

They should have gone for tallest in the world for One World Trade considering what it had to rise from.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm just playing. Love me the east coast sans NYC ;)

Would love to be in Naples sitting in a 3 walled house on the 9th tee of some gated community eating fruits with my toes in the hot tub.

I hate NYC myself. :)

tbm24

Would suggest many here who judge the WTC ONE to look at it in person before calling it boring or make claims that the spire is half the size of the building. I work by the thing and see it in the background when I go to the train every morning and night, it's an epic building.

Would suggest many here who judge the WTC ONE to look at it in person before calling it boring or make claims that the spire is half the size of the building. I work by the thing and see it in the background when I go to the train every morning and night, it's an epic building.
Were you also living in NYC when the twin towers were still there? How does it compare?

I don't know what you guys are tripping on.

The new World Trade Center looks awesome. I'm sure you guys realize that it's more than just this one building.

The memorial is very nice, and I'd love to see someone show me a better modern train station in america.

The memorial is very nice, and the museum is top notch. What the hell are the haters talking about?

Valhelm

contribute something
The One World Trade Center's use of identical triangles is quite beautiful. It really accentuates the building's height, and makes it look almost a little natural.

Mindlog

I don't know.
The old towers were; 'Fuck you! I'm a building.'
The new one is; 'Hey, I'm a building.'

For my money the Hudson Yards project seems to make a stronger statement for itself. Glass is boring, but there's some personality here. 'Shapes, yo. I got 'em.'
IcIAmpJ.jpg

DQVo2nR.jpg

XHqDrZl.jpg

Something about the last pic just makes me want to use the word 'swag' even though I don't really want to.

joelseph

I was hoping tower 1 would be taller. Maybe not the tallest in the world but at least the tallest in the USA like the original towers were.

Sears Tower was always the tallest building in the USA and will remain that way after this stain of a spire debate is corrected.

I don't know.
The old towers were; 'Fuck you! I'm a building.'
The new one is; 'Hey, I'm a building.'

For my money the Hudson Yards project seems to make a stronger statement for itself. Glass is boring, but there's some personality here. 'Shapes, yo. I got 'em.'
IcIAmpJ.jpg

DQVo2nR.jpg

XHqDrZl.jpg

Something about the last pic just makes me want to use the word 'swag' even though I don't really want to.

Looks like how it would come out if the project was done by a bunch of drunk guys.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
you guys remember that episode of kenan and kel when kenan went up the sears tower to hang the banner for the girl he liked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom