• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT: DK's Top 5 Takeaways of This Generation

Tripon

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/okox3j/editorial-dk-s-top-5-takeaways-of-this-generation

Daniel Kayser delivers five big trends that defined this generation in gaming. (10:47)

5. Multiplayer expansion.
4. Achievements
3. Games as a service, including Season Passes.
2. Indie Games.
1. DLC

Looking at this list, I somehow mostly avoided just about everything(or caring about it). I feel that this is an industry that is alien to me now, and I wonder if there's a place for a person who just wants to play a game by himself.

How in the world is motion gaming not on there? Even if you didn't care for it, there's nothing more that defined this gen that that.

I'd replace that with motion gaming and "non-gamers" craze or however you choose to refer to the Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Kinectimals, touch generation, etc. gamers. However based on this article I'm guessing this guy is one of those "Wii & handhelds don't count" people.

gogogow

Yeah, I thought this was about Donkey Kong.

Why is there no motion controls like SolidSnakex mentioned?

I think achievements are really not a big deal at all. What about mobile games?

That list is a joke.

illadelph

Came into the thread like this:

giphy.gif

.......But ended up like this:

giphy.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Came into the thread like:

^ Can't beat that.

Some other big trends:
yearly sequels of non-sport titles
finishing a game after release and charging for it
shooters
10 hour games
cutscene action sequences
adapting to casual gamers

Tried to be optimistic for the last one.

Lijik

Donkey Kong is really invested into DLC. he goes right to the safeway to preorder Golden Bananas to get the Bunch of Bananas Season Pass bonus with it.

ignata

For me it would have to be video games as content...Twitch, focus on video on sites like Giant Bomb, esports, speed running, etc.

I seriously don't know anybody who ever gave that much of a shit about achievements, and I say this as someone who would occasionally try and achievement grind games. Aren't they just big with a very particular percentage of a game's audience?

Surprised interactive movies aren't on there. As stated by someone in another thread, the video game industry is focusing more on the "video" side of things rather than the "game."

Top Bottom