• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - Vita Remote Play Network Usage

As an IT Professional I find the PS4's use of Wake-On-Lan and streaming features to make my inner nerd scream in delight. It is easily one of many bullet-points that makes the PS4 truly feel "next-gen" to me. Though shouldn't we be officially calling it "current gen" now?

After the sheer wow-factor got done washing over me, I was curious about how much bandwidth this feature uses. In a direct-connect or home wifi scenario, bandwidth is of little concern, but what about when the PS4 is hit from outside the internal network?

For my purposes, I am using my Verizon iPhone 5's mobile hotspot feature, using the LTE network. As of writing, I had 2/5 bars (circles for us iPhone users). My router is a Linksys WRT610N, flashed with D-WRT v24-sp2 mega-build 14929. My PS4 is hardwired, connected to a linksys gigabit switch, which is then hardwired to one of the router's gigabit ports.

I am using Comcast's 50/10 cable service, using a Motorola SB6140 cable modem. A speedtest.net run yielded the following results.
3113929409.png

This first graph shows my time with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. As we can see, the bandwidth averages around 750KB/s. I did see the graph top slightly over 1MB/s, however this is not showcased. There were signs of macroblocking and my stream did occasionally break up, though this can certainly be attributed to the LTE network. Any low points on the graph were the game starting and the picture stream featuring little action and movement.
ps401.gif

In an attempt to push this number higher, I thought "what better game than Resogun?!" Those results are as follows.
ps402.gif

As we can see, the results are not that much different than with AC4. Moral of the story? PS Vita Remote Play seems to push, on average, 750KB/s. However, I saw it go as low as ~200KB/s and as high as 1MB/s. Of course, the complexity of the scene, audio, and button inputs all have an affect on this number.

I work for a University that utilizes a dark fiber network to connect to the vast internet. I am currently negotiating a favor with the network department to connect my Vita to the network. I will update this post with those results later today.

How has everyone else's experience with PS Vita Remote Play from outside their home network been? What connections have you been using? And what games?

Man-in-the-middle attack this thread, if old.

Binabik15

I am limited to 3 gigs of upload per day with my dorm internet (the downside of this university 160/60 connection).

So I should expect roughly an hour a day at up to 1MB/sec, yes? That should be enough.

WalkMan

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression#Encoding_theory

The low's you see in traffic is because there isn't much of a delta on the stream shown. If you wanted to peak the stream then you'd quickly flash each pixel in the stream to maximimize delta information.

A more interesting experiment is to see if the stream scales with the speed of the connection, similar to what netflix does. If the connection is good then the bitrate will increase and conversely if the connection is bad.

Top Bottom