• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New inFamous: Second Son screenshots

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, taking a review at its word is quite often not the best idea. Always at least rent or Gamefly a game if you're interested, but heard it was bad.

My wife surprised me with a copy of Ryse for my birthday, a game I had no intention of buying anytime soon.

Turns out it is absolutely gorgeous (duh), and playing it through on the harder settings....I'm honestly enjoying the game. So sue me anyone that thinks the reviews are at all the way to go with any game. Always best to try and form your own opinion...enjoyment can come from many things...even the little things in certain games.

I do feel you're sort of contradicting yourself though Derrick...you're calling out a game as being "fools gold" before any of us even play it.

Fools gold was just my prediction for how I think the reaction is going to unfold after the game comes out. I understand right now this is probably the most hyped next gen game, or in the top 3 at least but I don't feel like it's because of the gameplay. The infamous games weren't the best received games among the community as far as gameplay goes, not awful but nothing to get excited for either.

I think if it turns out to be the same thing but shinier and better running it's not going to live up to the hype it has right now. Infamous fans will enjoy it but they're not the ones who made this game one of the most hyped next gen games, there's not enough of them to do that.

I'm not asking anyone to take my side now. Just keep in mind what I said here when the backlash eventually hits after the game comes out I really hope for the game's sake that it looks and runs as well as it was advertised because that's what most people are focusing on with this game.

I usually don't agree with your opinions, that said, sometimes I've read some good arguments and opinions on your side, despite thier popularity. But this time, I think You're totally wrong and acting like some sort or "guru". Specially with the bolded part. I mean, this is too much.

I need this game. IQ is so clean!

I always forget this is open world too, Sucker-Punch kicking ass on PS4 during that launch window!

Fools gold was just my prediction for how I think the reaction is going to unfold after the game comes out. I understand right now this is probably the most hyped next gen game, or in the top 3 at least but I don't feel like it's because of the gameplay. The infamous games weren't the best received games among the community as far as gameplay goes, not awful but nothing to get excited for either.

I think if it turns out to be the same thing but shinier and better running it's not going to live up to the hype it has right now. Infamous fans will enjoy it but they're not the ones who made this game one of the most hyped next gen games, there's not enough of them to do that.

How can someone who's never played the game have a finger on the pulse of the community?

You are done.

B.O.O.M

wow that Neon Tackle image looks so bloody awesome. This is some Bison meets Flash type of thing...I will use it...a LOT

edit:

2013-11-2519_30_19-13nyrd8.png

bison-huge-super.gif

haha just saw this. EXACTLY what I was thinking

Flandy

I'm not asking anyone to take my side now. Just keep in mind what I said here when the backlash eventually hits after the game comes out. I really hope for the game's sake that it looks and runs as well as it was advertised because that's what most people are focusing on with this game.
Every AAA game ever gets backlash a month or two after it launches.

How can anyone who's never played it say it looks amazing? You should probably stop with that faulty logic.

You are right! Lemme correct myself.

How can anyone who's never played the game and spends all their time trolling about it have an opinion?

I won't even mention how others have done more research on the product than you, if you want to argue semantics.

Oh, you wanna answer that comment about how the inFamous player community didn't like the gameplay when you've only taken a glance at the series beyond trolling? Such wide generalizations!

Edit: First person I put on the ignore list. Lucky guy.

Derrick01

Banned
You are right! Lemme correct myself.

How can anyone who's never played the game and spends all their time trolling about it have an opinion?

I won't even mention how others have done more research on the product than you, if you want to argue semantics.

Oh, you wanna answer that comment about how the inFamous player community didn't like the gameplay when you've only taken a glance at the series beyond trolling? Such wide generalizations!

You're too busy trying to be a smart ass that you didn't understand what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the infamous player community, I was talking about places like this on the internet.

Good. At least you won't waste my time anymore.

Dukey

Banned
Derrick01 you so crazy.

Game looks amazing and if it plays as well as Infamous 2/Festival of Blood I will have zero complaints.

I need it to play better than inFAMOUS 2. Sucker Punch should be ashamed of themselves for releasing inFAMOUS 2 in the shape that it was in , especially the 2nd portion of the city. Framerate dropped into the teens and stayed there a lot of the time. Festival of Blood's framerate was terrible a lot of the time too, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the full game, which is probably why they completely jettisoned the 2nd half of the city for FoB.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Who appointed Derrick Hype Cop!

I feel like a flashlight is being trained at my eyes, and a gruff "Break it up, folks!" is commanded.

I just came for the cool screenshots.

::sob::

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

This is completely the opposite in my experience. And it is most certainly Infamous fans hyping this game, mostly because we know this is the first time Sony will have put some serious marketing behind it and maybe some more people will play it

I liked inFamous 2 (only played the final boss in inFamous 1), but only because the core gameplay was pretty good. Some aspects of traversal were well done (powerline sliding, static hover), some weren't (climbing, no direct control over auto-cling). Some aspects of combat I enjoyed (attacking while climbing/in midair, other enemies with powers), some I didn't like (main lightning attack feels like a glorified gun, damage sponge enemies, no good civilian crowd control measures).

The mission design overall was terribly weak, but I could look past it since the gameplay had a lot of promise. This isn't a series where the gameplay is indisputably amazing; anyone getting indignant over negative comments directed at the game mechanics (in the previous titles or SS since it looks virtually the same gameplay-wise) needs to step back and take harder look.

SS's combat doesn't look like a considerable improvement over i2 which disappoints me. Regular player movement during combat doesn't look any better. I haven't seen any climbing in preview material yet which is worrying. There's nothing to suggest the mission design will be much different either. I'm sure there's fun to have with this game, but it only seems to be a visual upgrade without flaws addressed.

Zen

Banned
I'm not asking anyone to take my side now. Just keep in mind what I said here when the backlash eventually hits after the game comes out. I really hope for the game's sake that it looks and runs as well as it was advertised because that's what most people are focusing on with this game.

You live in a bubble. 'most people' didn't enjoy Infamous 1 based on how it looked and ran, because it had issues. People enjoy Infamous games because of how they play. Stop trying to spread your (minority) opinion on the gameplay of Infamous as fact.

You're too busy trying to be a smart ass that you didn't understand what I was saying. I wasn't talking about the infamous player community, I was talking about places like this on the internet.

Which is still dumb, because the other games didn't suffer any 'backlash' except from weirdos like you when everyone else just looked at you and said 'what?'.

You seem so wrapped up in hating the series that you can't make a logical argument.

As per usual, it looks amazing, though the ground textures could be a bit better.

Not that I care for this argument, but I really don't like it when people announce this kind of stuff. Just do it quietly.

I don't expect you to care that I don't like it, but people have been doing this more frequently lately and it annoys me.

On topic, are there anymore powers confirmed?

Not yet. Still holding out for water powers.

Many who've played it say otherwise. The game feels different than other infamous games. I'm not a big fan of the series either but I think this franchise has graduated to AAA status and not just because of it's good looks.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I'm surprised you guys are so surprised that the screens are bad. Did you see that leaked gameplay demo a few weeks ago? It looked pretty bad and seemed like it played just as bad. I feel like this game is going to be fool's gold.

I lol'd

Derrick01

Banned
You live in a bubble.

Which is still dumb, because the other games didn't suffer any 'backlash' except from weirdos like you when everyone else just looked at you and said 'what?'.

No there wasn't any backlash, mostly because those games were largely passed over on this forum. I know E3 pretty much killed all talk and hype for Infamous 2 that year and it was a pretty niche game even on here. That was kind of my point though, those other games didn't exactly light the world on fire even among gamers so that's why I felt like the abnormal amount of hype for a new Infamous game was just because of how it looks and runs. This is getting far more hype than the others did while at the same time looking like it has most of the same gameplay that people felt meh about. So it's pretty obvious to deduce why people are excited about this.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I fucking love the inFAMOUS games. It's not my fault if people don't bother getting creative with the tools they are given in a game.

inFAMOUS, and in particular, inFAMOUS 2, gives you a lot of powers and abilities to play around with. Yes, you can probably just spam the basic bolt attack, but the problem with that is that there is actual enemy variety in 2 compared to 1, and just spamming basic bolt will get you killed pretty quickly.

That's where the other abilities come in. And yes, you use up cores to pull off those moves, but you can fire off more than just one or two shots before needing to recharge. Speaking of recharging, that's one of the balancing elements in the inFAMOUS design that I think was smart of Sucker Punch, and keeps you on your toes. You can't just recklessly fire off shot after shot, and expect to come out alive. Because each shot costs cores, it makes each shot count much more. Meaning you are often planning your strategy for attack/defense when you enter a combat scenario. Scoping out potential power sources to replenish your cores, or places to take cover.

Part of the fun of inFAMOUS, for me, was mixing and matching tactics and powers and traversal and the environment to do fun things.

But yeah, I guess it's not for everybody.

Seeing Second Son in person at E3 blew me away. These new screens look amazing as well, even at uber high resolution. After playing Killzone: SF and seeing it in action, I have no doubt Second Son will look and run silky smooth come March. 6 more months of polish will do wonders.

In either case, inFAMOUS isn't for everybody, so if the first 2 haven't done it for you, I can't see how the third entry in the series will.

Zen

Banned
No there wasn't any backlash, mostly because those games were largely passed over on this forum. I know E3 pretty much killed all talk and hype for Infamous 2 that year and it was a pretty niche game even on here. That was kind of my point though, those other games didn't exactly light the world on fire even among gamers so that's why I felt like the abnormal amount of hype for a new Infamous game was just because of how it looks and runs. This is getting far more hype than the others did while at the same time looking like it has most of the same gameplay that people felt meh about. So it's pretty obvious to deduce why people are excited about this.

Again this makes no sense, you're applying your own personal preference as if it's a majority. If 'people' felt meh about Infamous gameplay it wouldn't have the hype it does now because that sentiment would have permeated.. The reason it has the hype it does now is that it is generally received as not having meh gameplay.

Don't worry though I'm sure you're read one out of every 15 posters saying 'the gameplay isn't for me' and feel vindicated. "See?" You will say "Look at the backlash!".

I can say that this will happen with just as much certainty as you claim that people are 'meh' about Infamous gameplay, or how the game will be received

This is nonsensical..

kyser73

So two title that sold ~ 4.2m copies between them are 'niche'?

I realise that GAF is hardcore but that's stretching the word 'niche' a bit.

Good to see the return of the quest for 'next-gen gameplay' tho.

Derrick01

Banned
Again this makes no sense, you're applying your own personal preference as if it's a majority. Just stop posting. If 'people' felt meh about Infamous gameplay it wouldn't have the hype it does now because that sentiment would have permeated.. The reason it has the hype it does now is that it is generally received as not having meh gameplay.

Don't worry though I'm sure you're read one out of every 15 posters saying 'the gameplay isn't for me' and feel vindicated. "See?" You will say "Look at the backlash!".

You're nonsensical.

Talk about being nonsensical.

Zen

Banned
Talk about being nonsensical.

It's almost like the IP started in 2009 and people have had years of releases and exposure to already formulate opinions about the style of play and its appeal.

Oh right, it did and they have.

You see, that sort of thing allows people to have relatively accurate pre conceptions to inform their opinions about how a title will look, play, behave, and appeal to them when it's announced, even if it's now running on better hardware.

So instead of just ducking from the real world and logical arguments maybe you could address them for once.

At E3 People were pissed about Coles redesign, the gameplay looked great, they ended up changing the design. You really are out in the woods on your little history lesson. You don't understand what actually happened.

Only smoke and neon so far

My money is still on a Sonic/sound related power...come on SP..DO IT!

So far we haven't seen a ton of interesting powers, hopefully the others are more impactful than Neon.

There is so much wrong with post i won't even bother....

Zen

Banned
It really is a perfect rewriting of history though. From using the character design issues as a means to claim that 'hype was completely gone following E3' to saying it was largely passed over only because it didn't appeal to him. It's the A+ of revisionist history.

The game doesn't even look that good from a technical standpoint. It's clearly an early gen open world game with low res textures here and there. Whatever they do next (Even another Infamous) is going to be mind melting.

R3TRODYCE

I'm surprised you guys are so surprised that the screens are bad. Did you see that leaked gameplay demo a few weeks ago? It looked pretty bad and seemed like it played just as bad. I feel like this game is going to be fool's gold.

After Killzone SF I'm inclined to believe.

Top Bottom