• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G/A/F African-American girl faces expulsion over "natural hair"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I saw a picture, most private schools that like orderly appearance have problems with unorderly hair, whether that is boy that lets their hair grow out too much or a girl.

I would walk the fuck away and not give that school a further penny or second of my time, but I understand the instinct to fight such things

Dram

Th school changed their mind, now they want her to style it differently.
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/orlando-private-school-wont-expel-africanamerican-girl-over-hair/-/1637132/23173004/-/1hgfb7z/-/index.html
Administrators at Faith Christian Academy now say they are not requiring one of their students to cut her hair in order to continue attending, but they are asking her to style it differently.

After Local 6's original story aired, school administrators changed their requests of Vanessa and her family.

"We are not asking her to put products in her hair or to cut her hair," read a statement sent to Local 6. "We are asking her to style her hair within the guidelines according to the school handbook."

The handbook does not cite large or frizzy hair, noting only, "Mohawks, shaved signs, rat tails, etc."

Kent said she and Vanessa are going to talk about their options over Thanksgiving.

Kite

My cousin went to a private catholic school, a guy with similar hair would get told the same thing.

tirminyl

Oh lord. We went through this months ago regarding another little girl that was removed from school over her natural hair. Let's see how this thread progresses.

With that said, this is sickening. Continues to reinforce to black women that their natural hair is unacceptable which forces many to apply chemical relaxers (very damaging to hair and skin) just to they can be seen as acceptable.

YoungFa

I can see it being a distraction in a class environment. Especially if you sit behind her. But why does the school say it need's to but cut/shaved? Would'nt a hair tie just do the trick?

It's a religious private school, I don't think they're going to win this fight.

Huh? They'll win. Their school, their rules.

I played basketball at a Baptist private school, and also took a couple classes, during junior and high school. I was one of four black kids in the school and saw firsthand how black kids were treated. In general many of the kids weren't truly religious, but the black kids were singled out more, and I was constantly held up as an example of how the other black kids "should act." I was a homeschooled kid, focused on doing my work and never getting in trouble, while some of the other kids were louder (but they weren't "bad" kids). This wasn't exclusive to the school, it was the same in every private school we played against.

Nearly every white girl in the school had long, flowing hair. One of the black girls grew her hair out and got some beautiful locks, and was asked to get rid of them. They were slightly shorter than the hair of the white girls, only difference was it they were locks instead of flowing hair.

I went to a private, religious school when I was younger, and this is pretty normal. The one I went to had hair limitations for boys and girls, clothing restrictions, no facial hair allowed, etc. This is pretty much how it goes at most private schools and even extends to some of the universities.

I can see it being a distraction in a class environment. Especially if you sit behind her. But why does the school say it need's to but cut/shaved? Would'nt a hair tie just do the trick?

It's only a distraction to people that aren't used to seeing "ethnic" hair. To the rest of us it's just hair. Not a distraction.

Fiktion

Banned
Huh? They'll win. Their school, their rules.

I played basketball at a Baptist private school, and also took a couple classes, during junior and high school. I was one of four black kids in the school and saw firsthand how black kids were treated. In general many of the kids weren't truly religious, but the black kids were singled out more, and I was constantly held up as an example of how the other black kids "should act." I was a homeschooled kid, focused on doing my work and never getting in trouble, while some of the other kids were louder (but they weren't "bad" kids). This wasn't exclusive to the school, it was the same in every private school we played against.

Nearly every white girl in the school had long, flowing hair. One of the black girls grew her hair out and got some beautiful locks, and was asked to get rid of them. They were slightly shorter than the hair of the white girls, only difference was it they were locks instead of flowing hair.

I don't get it. It sounds like you're agreeing with me.

malyce

If it is natural than why does she keep styling it that way in that video.

iquSvV0mV5fsG.gif

Don't they make all kids cut their hair when it gets to a certain length in private schools?

Most of them. When you go to one of these schools you typically agree to a specific set of rules which often include clothing and hair. If her hair is in violation of what they agreed to when she joined the school, I can't see her winning this one.

crozier

She looks like a mad scientist. Is her hair really that poofy naturally, or does it require a fair amount of styling to get it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom