• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Shot Dead Over PS4 Sale

SAN FRANCISCO -- A man who had arranged online to sell a video game console was robbed of the item and fatally shot Sunday afternoon in San Francisco's Bayview District, a police spokesman said.

The victim, a man in his early 20s, was shot multiple times around 3:30 p.m. in the area of Jerrold Avenue and Bayshore Boulevard near Highway 101, said Officer Albie Esparza. The man was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where he later died.

Police said the victim met the suspect online and agreed to sell him the video game console. When they met, the suspect, described only as an adult male, shot the victim, took the device and fled, authorities said.

Television station KTVU reported Sunday night that the system being offered for sale was a Sony Playstation 4. Released Nov. 15, the system is already a hot item, with one million consoles sold in the first 24 hours and online resellers offering the console for hundreds of dollars above its $400 list price.

Investigators were canvassing the neighborhood Sunday and searching for any surveillance footage that could lead to the arrest of the suspect.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call San Francisco police at 415-575-4444 or send a text to TIP411 with "SFPD" in the subject line. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...francisco-sale-video-game-system-turns-deadly

Azure J

I almost wondered if this was a repeat thread (the Craigslist reseller story) before getting sad. Really fucked up situation all round. Imagine hearing that someone in your family isn't making the holidays over something like this.

tumblr_inline_mqtephZsd71qz4rgp.gif

Quackula

Seriously, always ALWAYS meet in public when doing those sorts of sales. Helps prevent things like this from happening.

jmcoo7

Banned
What a sad thing to happen, I feel so sorry for his family and friends. I hope they find the animal and lock him away for ever shouldn't be too hard to trace him online.

To be fair, "during" may be more accurate than "over." May have been more about the guy's wallet or watch or jewelry, who knows.

At least, I would like to think that it takes more than just a plot to steal a PS4 to murder a guy =\

Lebon14

I hope they find the culprit and serve him lifetime jail with no chance of getting out.

Seriously, NOBODY deserves to be killed like that.

D-e-f-

Banned
If you need to rob someone to afford a gaming console and you even kill someone over it in the process, your priorities in life are seriously fucked up.

Why does this happen every time.

NEO0MJ

I wonder how much he was selling it for?

Killing a guy over 399$ system? Unbeliavable. Just rob a guy, if you must, but why kill?

Probably because he didn't want to be reported on. I guess names and phone numbers were exchanged after agreeing to meet online.

-Stranger-

This saddens me, makes you wonder about humanity sometimes.....
I hope the killer gets deathrow

Someone that values a videogame system over a human life doesn't deserve to live.

StayDead

I wonder if this could have happened in a country without relatively easy access to guns.

Horrible story and I feel terribly sorry for the family of the person involved, but how many more horrible cases like this is it going to take in America for them to finally look into changing their gun laws :/

Dahaka

Selling your system should always happen in a bank or near police station, everywhere where cameras reside or security is nearby. Never elsewhere.

The killer needs to do quarry (probably the wrong English word for Steinbruch) his whole life with minimum nutrition.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Truly disgusting and sad. People fighting over TVs in Wal-Mart, getting in fights over parking spaces, and now this. What is wrong with people?

Yagharek

It's tragic that people will kill for something that at the end of the day, is only trivial. Money, popular new products - it's just stuff, not worth this.

RIP to the victim, hopefully they catch and throw the book at the murdering bastard who killed him.

Elvick

Banned
Uck, disgusting.

What a waste of a life. There's no reason this man should be dead right now. Such a shame. I hope they can find who did it.

NeoGash

I find it strange that humans have these advanced brains which gives them the ability to be civilised, yet they actually choose to behave like animals. Hope the bastard is caught, and I hope there is an afterlife where the guy who died gets advanced early copies of Infamous: Second Son and the new Uncharted. Damn man not cool at all, not cool. Could have been any of us gamers.

melman101

Completely saddened by both of those incidents. Really a shame. I know people always say they have no problems with Craigslist and stuff like that, but it's stories like this that keep me from selling my stuff. Yeah, it's a one in a million odds, but I don't want to take those chances.

Anyhow, again, truly truly sad and my condolences to the families of all those involved.

Fuck's sake that is disgraceful.

For a video game console? Is it seriously worth taking another human life for a video game console? :/

Funny (not really) thing is if the guy was arrested, chances are he'd get a PS4 in prison. You know, for those essential needs apparently *sigh*. At least that's what it'd be like in the UK.

Sad news though and I really hope the person who did this is punished severely. Crazy mofo.

Can't they track this person down? If the victim bought it with a credit card, surely they could pinpoint the consoles location if it is connected online.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yeah, there must be a way to connect all this. Like if the victim has a receipt then maybe they can get the unit number that was sold. And maybe that unitcan be track if it goes online or something like that.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Can't they track this person down? If the victim bought it with a credit card, surely they could pinpoint the consoles location if it is connected online.

The hard part with that is even if it could / was tracked if said person in possession of it is the actual culprit and not someone he went and flipped it to.

Damn.. I wonder if the guy tried to fight back or something? It's really hard to imagine someone committing a planned murder to get a video game console..

Cosmozone

"Not enough good people with a gun", yeah right. It's beyond me how the current US weapon laws are still defended so heavily.

Not sure why people are shocked that someone would do this over an item worth half a grand. I mean, they probably didn't do it because they were desperate to play Killzone.

iJudged

Banned
C'mon guys, lets cut him some slack. I don't mean to be the white knight defender of the universe, but it is hard to tell on an internet forum when jokes are acceptable or not. Sure, he made a mistake but he is being crucified. Let's focus on the the guy who lost his life or the real baddy here.

People should know when it's appropriate and when it isn't. This was certainly in bad taste. Regardless, the person that lost his life, rest in peace, and the guy who killed him, I hope justice is served.

Ghizz

Honestly, you don't see this kind of shit in other places where guns are outlawed. 'Murica, fix up yo shit.

How can this happen in San Francisco? Was there no witnesess? 3:30pm and not a single person around to see the transaction?

Just can't believe this could happen in a big city.

Funny (not really) thing is if the guy was arrested, chances are he'd get a PS4 in prison. You know, for those essential needs apparently *sigh*. At least that's what it'd be like in the UK.

Sad news though and I really hope the person who did this is punished severely. Crazy mofo.

You should put down the dailymail

Top Bottom