• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vertical v Horizontal with PS4...

goonergaz

So last night my daughter was playing the FIFA demo and I thought I'd have a play with the orientation of the PS4 as I could clearly hear it.

I currently have the official vertical stand, but haven't been overly pleased with the general noise levels...it's not loud as such (apart from when KZ is 'loading levels' ) but it's louder than I expected...probably a tad louder than my 2/3 year old slim.

So, I put it horizontally and immediately the fan noise was lower and the unit seemed happier - I switched it back and it seemed to be noisier. I flip it back again and it again became more quiet...putting my ear onto the case I could kind of hear that the fan was almost 'knocking' on vertical.

For the record, I have left the stand in and am using a spare case to keep the PS4 horizontal...yes, maybe lazy, but it's a bit fiddly to fully remove the stand and keep re-attaching.

So for the rest of the game-time this seemed much happier...so what gives? Is this normal? Do I potentially have a unit that needs replacing? I wouldn't mind but it looks a bit out of place horizontally (in between the PS3 & X360 - both vertical) - not to mention the fact I spent £16 on a stand that seems to make my PS4 louder than I'd like :(

Nymphae

Banned
I would much rather seat mine vertically but after hearing about the confirmation of the reduced noise when laid horizontally, I'm not taking any chances.

It looks nice either way, so I don't really mind.

evilalien

I've also noticed this myself. The air intake is on the side where the stand attaches to, so it makes sense that it would get better airflow in the horizontal position which translates to lower fan noise.

Stike

Already mentioned by other Gaffers that vertical will result in more noise.

Heard that too. However, I can confirm that my vertical unit is (while playing Knack) REALLY quiet. The disk drive is more audible, but still not much difference from other consoles with the drive working...

goonergaz

I've also noticed this myself. The air intake is on the side where the stand attaches to, so it makes sense that it would get better airflow in the horizontal position which translates to lower fan noise.

I thought this - but it's odd that even with the stand still connected it's quieter.

Just because you have a lower surface area making contact with the table while vertical, so the vibrations are amplified. Doesn't seem like the unit is actually running worse or anything.

Oppo

Yeah its definitely louder when it's vertical. Not sure if it's due to feet or me lacking the vertical stand or what, but there you go.

daveo42

Banned
I've switched to horizontal because it works better with my current setup, but didn't really notice much of a difference in noise level tbh. I like the vertical look of it too, just like with the PS2/3.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm too nervous to have mine standing up. Have to worry about it falling over if the dog bumps it and also worry about closing off one of the vents. I think it looks better laying down too.

Pachimari

As I got no more space in my wooden tv cabinet, I bought a glass shelf specifically for the PS4, and there's not enough space for it to lie horizontally, so it's standing vertical with the stand and I don't notice a difference when it's lying down horizontally.

No matter what position it's standing, it's still annoyingly loud many times and I notice as I sit like 1.5 meters from the console while gaming. Need to wear headphones most of the times.

tazz3

i keep my ps4 Horizontal its not loud at all, just as quiet as my launch slim
my friend has a ps4 that sounds like a jet engine and its on its standing up.
i dont know why his ps4 is so freaking loud. should be exchange it

Biker19

Banned
Horizontal >>> Vertical. For the reasons that posters have listed above (such as loud noise when used vertically).

Just because you have a lower surface area making contact with the table while vertical, so the vibrations are amplified. Doesn't seem like the unit is actually running worse or anything.

This seems the most simple explanation of reduced noise in horizontal position.

When you put the PS4 in horizontal position, the centrifugal fan is then under the console (which is specific to the PS4) and very near the table, so the table (or ground) is mitigating some of the vibrations and noise produced by the close fan just above.

The heat pipe will work more efficiently when the console is horizontal; however, being vertical exposes more surface area to allow for greater heat dissipation. Still, I think horizontal tends to have the advantage for this console-- especially if you do not have a stand, as lying it vertically on the ground will reduce air intake.

For the record, I keep mine horizontal; however, I think vertical is fine IF and only if you have a stand. This generation of consoles will probably not have the failure rates of the previous generation because the manufacturers are now used to working with lead-free solder and the processors dies have shrunk and produce less heat.

Replicant

Horizontal since it's dead quiet. Never tried vertical though but judging from the responses, I'm not keen to find out.

Also, anyone else's unit blowing hot steam from the back like there's no tomorrow? I'm afraid it'd melt the plastic in the HDMI and power cable. At least HDMI cable I can replace easily but how about the power cable?

Orbis

It goes whichever way it fits. Like all my electronics, if it can go horizontal, it will. And it does. I had my PS3 vertical though as it fits in a PS3 sized gap (with plenty of breathing space).

Also, anyone else's unit blowing hot steam from the back like there's no tomorrow? I'm afraid it'd melt the plastic in the HDMI and power cable. At least HDMI cable I can replace easily but how about the power cable?
It does pump out a fair bit of heat, but that's probably because it has quite a compact design. Much like a laptop, there is basically nowhere for the heat to dissipate, so it will all be blown out by the fans in a rather concentrated fashion. It almost certainly won't damage the cables.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Why is it so difficult to find the official vertical stand? I can only find it a UK retailer.

LowSignal

I took a gamble and didn't get any coverage on my next gen systems. The only system I had die was an original NES and 2 original PlayStation systems (had to lay them upside down to read disks). This is the 2nd time someone talked about this here so my PS4 is forever laying on it's belly. I expect the PS4 to last a long time thou

Shinjiru

I've kept both of my PS4's vertical using the Rocketfish stand. The first one would get pretty damn loud so I sent it back. The replacement PS4 is definitely quieter, but if I mute the audio I can still hear the fan rev up during certain parts of games. The fan is inaudible from where I sit doing anything but playing games. Like if I pause a game or bring up the browser or OS while playing, the fan will immediately rev down.

I have no measuring tools for sound but I would guess that I have a low ambient noise level here. I have never tried using the console horizontal.

kn1ves24

I have mine vertical without a stand (yeah, I live dangerously).

My experience has been pretty much the opposite of what gaffer's have posted here. Mine seems to be quieter while vertical at least when comparing disc drive spin-ups.

I have yet to notice fan noise when in either position. Maybe I'm just good at ignoring it.

Networker

Banned
Is it just me or PS4 looks much more sexier sitting horizontally? I bought the damn stand for 20$ but not using it. Horizontal all the way.

Yoday

Why is it so difficult to find the official vertical stand? I can only find it a UK retailer.
Best Buy has the official one from Rocketfish. They are only available via licence'd third parties in NA, but the Rocketfish one looks identical to the Sony one.

I have had mine vertical since day one and it is super quiet, but I also sit a good 10-12 feet from my system, so I never hear it. I had tried putting it horizontal, and while it was a little quieter when I paid attention to it, it also just doesn't look nearly as good in my setup. The thing is absolutely designed to be put vertical in my setup, and it look fantastic with the stand, so the system being a little be quieter when I can barely hear it to begin with is not worth putting it horizontal. When vertical the thing looks like the pillar out of 2001: A Space Odyssey was dropped into the world of Tron, especially when the orange light is on in Standby.

Pachimari

Best Buy has the official one from Rocketfish. They are only available via licence'd third parties in NA, but the Rocketfish one looks identical to the Sony one.

I have had mine vertical since day one and it is super quiet, but I also sit a good 10-12 feet from my system, so I never hear it. I had tried putting it horizontal, and while it was a little quieter when I paid attention to it, it also just doesn't look nearly as good in my setup. The thing is absolutely designed to be put vertical in my setup, and it look fantastic with the stand, so the system being a little be quieter when I can barely hear it to begin with is not worth putting it horizontal. When vertical the thing looks like the pillar out of 2001: A Space Odyssey was dropped into the world of Tron, especially when the orange light is on in Standby.

People saying they bought the stand. Is it the official stand?
Mine is the official stand yeah. Bought it at a local shop.

I really don't notice any noise difference if it sits horizontally or stand vertically.

Top Bottom