• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on Fan Campaigns like Operation Rainfall: "It doesn't affect what we do."

Siliconera just posted an interview with Reggie. It's mostly standard PR fluff, except for this bit...

How much do what fans want or say influence your decisions? [Operation Moonfall and Operation Rainfall are cited as examples here.]

I have to tell you—it doesn’t affect what we do. We certainly look at it, and we’re certainly aware of it, but it doesn’t necessarily affect what we do. I’ll give you an example. I mentioned earlier that our head of product development had a bet on X versus Y—we also had a bet around localizing Xenoblade.

I wanted to bring Xenoblade here. The deal was, how much of a localization effort is it? How many units are we going to sell, are we going to make money? We were literally having this debate while Operation Rainfall was happening, and we were aware that there was interest for the game, but we had to make sure that it was a strong financial proposition.

I’m paid to make sure that we’re driving the business forward—so we’re aware of what’s happening, but in the end we’ve got to do what’s best for the company. The thing we know [about petitions] is that 100,000 signatures doesn’t mean 100,000 sales.

Source

Nyoro SF

Some real talk in here that will likely be ignored in favor of sarcasm and rage.

Like that 100,000 line. It has to be worth the investment.

Raist

Banned
What happened to the region free thing btw? There was a huge thread on GAF with multiple sites reporting on it, but then I kinda stopped following it.

So it's true.

Udgt7Tr.gif

Mariolee

Makes sense.

But the whole "driving business forward" plan didn't really work too well with the Wii U, though that has nothing to do with listening to the fans. It had everything to do with terrible marketing.

mantidor

This comic was so true.

cv0124.jpg

Edit: I do see his point, it sucks, but this is the truth in business, want to offer support? buy the consoles and games, is the best bet. I'm sure that those petitions would work but they need way more than mere 100k signatures.

That's real talk. Welcome to the video game industry. It's commercialized. This is how the buisness-side people think (and I can imagine, some creative people are pressured from certain business-side activities and thoughts, and vice-versa).

It makes business sense to localize the game no matter what, as it's value as an investment for your reputation and platform for enthusiasts would pay off more in the long run than the measly profit from a niche game.

zroid

Banned
Just to break through the PR here, I will say it probably does affect their decisions to some extent. Not a large extent -- they certainly won't do something "for the fans" if they don't think it will be profitable, but if they are "aware", then it's improbable to claim they are completely unaffected.

For example, a fan movement could provoke them to look into something a little deeper -- maybe it's not a business avenue which would've been considered before. It's still Nintendo's decision through and through, but it was influenced by the outcry.

Next time I get that "Nintendo cares about games and the gamers first" schlock I'm going to refer to this.
You're in a commercialized industry. No matter how much anyone says "we do it for the gamer," there will always be the business-side pressures that partially drive decisions.

-MB-

Some real talk in here that will likely be ignored in favor of sarcasm and rage.

Like that 100,000 line. It has to be worth the investment.

Still think hes not totally right here.
Sure, 100,000 signatures don translate to 100,000 sales necessarily.
But to me it is also about creating some goodwill, and they would be investing in the future too.
Not everything needs to turn an immediate profit, sometimes u need to build a fanbase to work off.

soultron

Banned
good quote.
It's the truth. With online petitions it's easy to produce many dummy email accounts just to pump the petition's numbers. Even if it's all real signatures, people who signed may not have interest or intent to buy when/if it actually comes out. Just like how people shouting DAY ONE in online discussions might not end up buying it at all.

Talk is cheap. Well, it's basically free.

Sheroking

Next time I get that "Nintendo cares about games and the gamers first" schlock I'm going to refer to this.

Well, that's just dumb. Nintendo is a business, and nobody is saying differently.

Nintendo is just one of the few not attacking us with relentless micro-transactions, pay-to-win and other shitty F2P monetization methods - when they absolutely could be. Those companies, including Nintendo, should be commended.

It makes business sense to localize the game no matter what, as it's value as an investment for your reputation and platform for enthusiasts would pay off more in the long run than the measly profit from a niche game.

And so they did.

AzaK

I hope he takes into account long term value. As in, if people are yelling 'We want X game/feature' that it might not immediately make a profit but in the long term it makes your console look attractive.

I think it's weird to strange to see people applauding this attitude considering the state of NoA right now. If this is the result of his "savvy business sense", then there is nothing to be cheering about.

There is merit in all types of games, not just ones that have the potential to be blockbusters, and to say that the only thing that matters is reaching a certain threshold of sales is extremely cold and narrow minded.

Attitudes like this is what cause the consumers to miss out an many great games, it's not something to be praised IMO.

Mistle

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that money comes first to a business. But it also doesn't make them devoid of care for their audience, either.

Considering the current state of videogame money-making-tactics, I'd say Nintendo are very tactful.

Nintendo cares about offering products and value that keep customers interested, loyal, and giving them money. It's just sound business logic. I don't think anyone relevant to this discussion really thinks that "Nintendo loves you more than the other guys do"

BigDug13

It's quite obvious that consumer ideas and desires do not affect what they do. They continue to make that abundantly clear.

Vylash

He's got a point for the most part, but if he's trying to imply that Operation Rainfall didn't influence them bringing over Xenoblade then I don't really know who he's trying to fool.

Chindogg

You're greatly overestimating enthusiasts as purchasers. Everyone cried for Bayonetta 2 and new IPs but very few are actually going to pony up to purchase those games.

Hell there's more bitching about games like Wonderful 101 and Bayo 2 as Wii U exclusives than there are clamors for buying said games.

NotLiquid

He's right.

Petitions can be a good thing if done right but even if you assume everyone signing those things will buy into whatever they petitioned there's no guarantee that the cost of bringing it over will live up to the end result.

This stuff ought to be standard for literally every company out there.

Sheroking

I agree with the sentiment, but NOA really fucked up with Xenoblade.

How, exactly? It exceeded sales expectations here, released at a point where they were battling a software drought and whatever PR backlash they had was pretty well diffused by the time they released The Last Story.

Neff

The Xenoblade thing is entirely plausible, but I don't for a minute believe that Nintendo thought "Wait a minute, even though we're currently putting out 50hz VC games in Europe, we could make more money if we switch to 60hz versions!" earlier this year, and I'm 100 percent confident that they would have carried on with their original plan if Miiverse hadn't exploded in protest at the time like it did.

Sulik2

I hope he takes into account long term value. As in, if people are yelling 'We want X game/feature' that it might not immediately make a profit but in the long term it makes your console look attractive.

Problem is Nintendo is bleeding money right now. They can't afford to take any more short term losses. Their shareholders are already gonna be frothing at the mouth after this holiday fails.

Madao

i thought that after F-Zero, Star Fox and Metroid ended up dead due to low sales, people were convinced that Nintendo was all about the money first.

unless there's still a very big vocal and delusional group twisting perception.

Sendou

Well he's completely on the mark there. People can keep signing those petions but it would be hilarious to see how many people getting worked up for Operation Rainfall actually bought even one of the three games.

mrdark

Banned
I knew that the headline had to be inflammatory and then I come in and read it wasn't in context. He even said they listen to the requests, it's not like they say fuck off. Of course a billion dollar corporation won't change a years worth of plans for a few lazy people who think a ridiculous online petition makes a difference.

Edit: There sure are a lot of internet MBAs here.

Top Bottom