• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the FFVII remake happen this generation?

Trumpets

I was pretty confident we'd see it towards the end of the 360/PS3 era, but so far...nothing.

A full remake for XBOne/PS4 using the Luminous engine would surely generate a huge amount of hype and expectation, probably more so than a regular FF numbered sequel.

Or did the plethora of shit that comprised the 'Compilation of Final Fantasy VII' sap the public's enthusiasm for FF7 to the point that it wouldn't be worth spending all that time and money on it?

Aeana

Yep. Expect it soon after 6.

xHm4vbG.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I dont think so, tech has moved on so much that it would be a completely different game. An upressed port is the best we can hope for.

Mesoian

I was pretty confident we'd see it towards the end of the 360/PS3 era, but so far...nothing.

A full remake for XBOne/PS4 using the Luminous engine would surely generate a huge amount of hype and expectation, probably more so than a regular FF numbered sequel.

Or did the plethora of shit that comprised the 'Compilation of Final Fantasy VII' sap the public's enthusiasm for FF7 to the point that it wouldn't be worth spending all that time and money on it?
sure. Ios8. FTP. Look forward to it

Meia

They pretty much stopped the remake idea after FFIV for whatever reason. Natural progression would have dictated we'd have gotten V and then VI on the DS(or 3DS), but they just kind of stopped in favor of ugly iOS ports.

I think the only thing that would stop FFVII from being on it would be the size of the game, but if they get around it(or if it's not the case), I'd imagine the best to hope for is just the game ported to it.

I've come to terms with it. If they didn't release it already for the PS3 era after having that e3 tech demo that one year, I doubt we're getting it.

genbatzu

never?

they did a FF X | X-2 HD Remake because it's so popular and said numerous times that it would costs too much to remake FFVII in HD and uber graphics...

(and tbh VII was not this special...)

LordJim

With the things most likely getting cut in the process and adding the silliness they introduced in later works like Gakt/Genesis, not really looking forward to it.

More likely they will keep adding things to the FFXV universe

Vitor711

Considering the staggering amount of content available in FFVII, there's no way they're going to do 3D recreations of every setting and character. The amount of work that would take would be ridiculous. I just can't see them investing in it without making sweeping cuts and that would just irritate the fanbase - the very players this remake would be aimed at.

Yep. Expect it soon after 6.

xHm4vbG.jpg

came here to post this. OP, be careful what you wish for. most if not all of the FF remakes so far have been fucking horrific and pointless as hell. ff7 may be different since it's not sprite based, but i don't have much faith that SE would give it the attention it deserves. I REALLY HOPE this remake never happens for that reason.

.GqueB.

Banned
People still want this? What about the most recent Final Fantasy offerings give you any indication that it would be guaranteed quality? Games are like a special sauce to me. If everything isn't there as it should be then who knows what will happen.

Crap probably. Inedible sauce that nobody wants. It'll just sit there rotting into itself until someone just kicks it over and it makes its way into some gutter somewhere never to be heard from again.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
It's funny how I don't see this kind of hype for a decent FF6 remake - not like the mobile version, but maybe like the FF4DS treatment.

I'd be happier to see that rather than a FF7 remake.

A remake at this point would basically be a whole different game. You'd have to considerably flesh out the NPCs and enviornments, not to mention modernize the game play experience for current gamer sensibilities. So much time and resources would be put into a game that will feel so different from what you remember.

Chev

Same answer as usual: if you want something other than just some textures being touched up a la FF6, it won't happen unless S-E is wading in so much money they feel the need to burn some, as it'd be just at least as big an undertaking as making a new mainline FF from scratch, for a game that already sold the most of any FF.

Top Bottom