• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 16-22 | Use promo code "NEMO" to get 100% off AGE

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of December 16th to the 22nd, 2013.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

2 Old 2 Furious: Veteran's Day [ Friday ] [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
SoCal Injustice Tournaments [ Saturday ]
  • Two, separate Injustice tournaments will take this place this weekend at Super Arcade, the home of WNF and TRB, on Saturday and Sunday.
  • The Saturday tournament will be streamed by Level|Up.
  • The Sunday tournament will be streamed by Wonder Chef.

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iXjdJPFbaGLQl.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at biosnake20!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
I’ve recently been getting back into AE2012 and i’m planning to get back into SFxT as well because it’s a great game. In AE I main Sagat and Cody and in SFxT I main Lars/Lily. Used to play Marvel 3 but then my xbox scratched the disc to hell and I just never got another one. My all time favorite is ST for various reasons. It was the first Street Fighter i actually got good at and have fond memories of playing it with siblings. Me, my brothers, and all my cousins were super competitive and would have tournaments when we went over each others houses. The combination of how deep it was but at the same time how easy it was to get into(at the time) made it great for everyone to play. It just felt like the perfect fighting game when it came to mechanics, number of characters, diversity of characters, balance, etc.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
One mechanic I really like is the special move charging in SFxT. I like how you can use it for a variety of things like keeping yourself safe by cancelling it, creating new interesting combos, or just using it to be flashy.

One mechanic that is my one of my least favorites is a lower health player taking less damage. In SF4 it’s like this
-At 51% health or higher there is no damage scaling.
-50% health damage scaling is 95%.
-25% health damage scaling is 90%.
-15% health damage scaling is 75%.
SF4 has this mechanic and I just think it’s dumb. The player doesn’t even have to do anything for this to help them make a comeback. They essentially just have more health. TAC is my actual most hated but i’m guessing it will be the same for a lot of people.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
My brothers got me into fighting games. That’s pretty much all they played so I was forced to as well. I got into competitive fighting games when I saw the 2006 MLG TV Halo 2 tournies. That made me interested in competitive gaming in general. I looked up some stuff and came across the Daigo parry video and it went from there. I also got heavily into competitive Halo.

I pretty much play every other video game genre. Last of Us is GOTY.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
This is an easy one. Dante. He is designed very well and is pretty much the ryu of Marvel 3. He plays almost exactly as I thought he would when he was first announced and i’ve always loved the DMC games. I had just hoped he would have a lot of special moves to represent all his weapons or have all his weapons and would switch through them like ammy does. I got the former. He is super hype to watch and GOD DAMN is he stylish. Also a big fan of Yun, Sagat, Cody, and Vergil. Nero is pretty cool too. He would be a mix of Dante and Spencer in Uncanny MvC3 if it ever existed(which it won’t).
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
I RTSD mostly. I also try to read my opponent a lot and do preemptive shit all the time. My success rate isn't very high. I am to Daigo as Red rapper is to Biggie.

I mostly play online but I’m gonna start making it out to Next Level soonish.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
My biggest strength I would guess is mental fortitude. I make many comebacks even when it looks bleak and never get really angry over a loss. For example, I’d never break my SF4 disc multiple times.

My biggest weakness would probably be adaptation. I’m pretty slow at it and if you beat me in one match I’ll respond by requesting you to play a long set for ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY! ANY AMOUNT!
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
My best accomplishments would be be finally getting better than my brothers. I also have beaten some big name players online like Air, Gridman, whoever that was playing on the EMP GODS ARC username at the time, and Magus(lol).

The worst moment would probably almost losing to Magus in SF4 and doing poorly in the GAF ranbat.
What do you want from future fighting games
Well first off every fighting game in the future should have a set number of features that should be golden standards. Things like pressing buttons to button check, frame data and hitboxes built in, holding the start button to pause, online training mode, trials and tutorials, etc. I would also like songs like LOOOOSE MY MIIIIIIND built into games so every time I win it plays.

Another thing I’d like is for companies to take more chances when it comes to pricing models. I think the “demo” KI has is really cool. You basically get the full game but just one character. I think this is a great way to bring in new players and it gives a great impression of the full game.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Kadey

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

None at the moment.​

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters - Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - Mainly 2D, Capcom game centric hub, and probably one of, if not the largest FG community on the internet
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Just caught up with the Funding Nemo saga. Best goddamn thread title.

Pour it out for Marvel, Yipes is the true people's champ. Leave it to Chris G to wet blanket everything

phaonaut

Capcom Cup was awesome, was a solid reminder of how much I love watching high level fighting games. The 8 player format was a great choice also, this was a condensed version of Evo. Its also a nice offset since this time of year is the furthest from evo, I hope Capcom continues this as an annual installment.

Marz

How do people play and enjoy Mortal Kombat? Serious question I downloaded the demo and was appalled at how bad the game is.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";93781269]Why the 17th? Did megaman's birthday party kill Marvel?[/QUOTE]
MVC3 and MVC2 are being taken off from PSN/XBLA.

You wouldn't be able to get Jill/Shuma, making them completely irrelevant characters in tournaments (even more so than they already are).

Dahbomb

LOL ChrisG vs Fanatiq...

That match won't be colluded on at all...

Looks like its going to be another El Classico Winners Finals with Champ and ChrisG.

Can I get some results from yesterday's capcom? I had some friends/family over for xmas party and only caught a little of AE. Did that Evil RYU win?

ismk

Wake up ultra. Just do it.

Can I get some results from yesterday's capcom? I had some friends/family over for xmas party and only caught a little of AE. Did that Evil RYU win?

Here are the results:
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v2012

1. HORI|Sako (Evil Ryu)
2. DM|Xian (Gen)
3. RZR|Fuudo (Fei Long)
4. Haitani (Makoto)
5. DM|Gackt (Fei Long)
5. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)
7. BCN|Alioune (Cammy)
7. AGE|NYChrisG (Sakura)

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

1. AGE|NYChrisG (Morrigan, Dr. Doom, Vergil)
2. EMP|IFC Yipes (Spencer, Vergil, Hawkeye | Others)
3. coL|Filipino Champ (Magneto, Dr. Doom, Phoenix | Others)
4. BE|Nemo (Nova, Dr. Strange, Spencer)
5. BE|Abegen (Tron, Thor, She-Hulk)
5. EG|Justin Wong (Wolverine, Storm, Akuma | Others)
7. BE|KaneBlueRiver (Haggar, Hulk, Sentinel)
7. BT|MarlinPie (C. Viper, Dr. Doom, Amaterasu)

Street Fighter X Tekken v2013

1. Infiltration (Jin, Alisa)
2. EMP|Tampa Bison (M. Bison, Rolento)
3. EG|Justin Wong (Hwoarang, Chun-Li)
4. LU|Alex Valle (Yoshimitsu, Lars)
5. KS|Ramos (Cammy, Vega)
5. EMP|NuckleDu (Guile, Zangief)
7. KS|Sethlolol (Law, Kuma)
7. THEZOMBIEDRIVER (Hwoarang, Nina)

Thanks for the results. That Evil RYU was deadly...I watched him against Chris G. That and the next match was the only ones I got to see.

Top Bottom