• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Kingdom Hearts 3 Preview

Exentryk

Kingdom Hearts 3 Previewed in January GameInformer.

(Possible spoilers from KH3DS and KH3)

After finally announcing the official development of Kingdom Hearts III at E3, Square Enix gave us a taste of what's cooking in a new trailer revealed at Disney's D2 event in Japan. The teaser showed off some gameplay additions, and we had the chance to ask creator Tetsuya Nomura about these new features and his plans for Kingdom Hearts III.

Dream Drop Distance left us with a revelation: Seven Keyblade wielders must be gathered to take on Xehanort. Kingdom Hearts III's main story concludes Xehanort's arc, and Nomura says it picks up "immediately after the events of Dream Drop Distance."

Nomura also reveals some main plot points. "The process of the wielders coming together will be the main storyline, but one of the highlights of the climax is going to be who is part of the seven lights and thirteen darkness when they get to the final battle," he says. "Would it be as everyone expected, or will there be unexpected members added to the mix? That is something to look forward to."

He leaves us with one last interesting tease. "The end also means a new beginning, and I'm certain that as this story arc ends, players will be able to look forward -- carrying this excitement -- for something new and different, never-before-seen in the series," he says. Where Kingdom Hearts III will lead us is anyone's guess, but it's far from the end of the franchise, and that's a good thing for dedicated fans.

More in the magazine article.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Still hoping for a Marvel Comics-themed world with Deadpool snarking over everything or a Muppets-themed world with Statler and Waldorf snarking over everything.

corn_fest

Doesn't look like anything new screenshot-wise, unfortunately. I think all of the pictures in the scan are taken from the second trailer.

Is DDD worth playing or would I be better off looking up a plot synopsis?

I found it enjoyable enough. The Drop system can be a bit of a nuisance, especially if you're wrapping up a particularly long boss battle and you suddenly get switched to the other character (there's an item you can use to delay a drop, so you gotta train yourself to always have them handy).

I haven't played BBS so I can't really comment on the battle system in this one versus that one.

Kuro

Damn it, I didn't think DDD would be that important to the story. And it was going for cheap on Amazon too. Now they stopped selling it.

Churro

Game Informer is just analyzing the D23 trailer from October. Nothing really new but it's nice to see KH3 get a mention.

Kssio_Aug

I trully enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, and am looking forward for the third one.
But im sure I'll be lost at the story after so many sparse games.

Wait, are there going to be seven party members? Did I understand that correctly?

There will be seven heroes of the Keyblade, but not necessarily seven party members.

King Mickey is almost definitely one of the seven, alongside Sora, Riku, Kairi and a few other obvious ones.

Malyse

Most relevant thread in Gaf's history.

There will be seven heroes of the Keyblade, but not necessarily seven party members.

King Mickey is almost definitely one of the seven, alongside Sora, Riku, Kairi and a few other obvious ones.
Well... you can count on three of the four you named.

Mariolee

Wonder if there'll be a new kid introduced in Kingdom Hearts 3 to be revealed as another wielder or something, and they'll use him as the new hero for Kingdom Hearts games after that.

Jeels

None of the information is new either, it looks like they are just translating some of the info that came out. You know, info that was translated on the web almost immediately...

Reveirg

This isn't really new.

Some of it is? Unless I missed an earlier interview.

Mainly:

Nomura also reveals some main plot points. "The process of the wielders coming together will be the main storyline, but one of the highlights of the climax is going to be who is part of the seven lights and thirteen darkness when they get to the final battle," he says. "Would it be as everyone expected, or will there be unexpected members added to the mix? That is something to look forward to."

doemaaan

Wonder if there'll be a new kid introduced in Kingdom Hearts 3 to be revealed as another wielder or something, and they'll use him as the new hero for Kingdom Hearts games after that.

No, Nomura already said that the next games would star Sora. Although, I have wondered if KH3 will start with someone other than him. I say that because in KH1, you sit through the intro and at the end of it all, Sora floats down onto that circular platform (Pictured with Snow White, I believe) and the game starts there. You go through a tutorial and choose the Sword, Staff or Shield.

In KH2, at the end of the intro, Roxas lands on his own circular platform, this time picturing Sora. So, for KH3, is there going to be a new KH wielder that you start with and what circular platform will he/she land on? or are they just going to get rid of that pattern for the roman numeral games?

Keyblade Wielder #5

kh-wakka-a.jpg

Jeels

No, Nomura already said that the next games would star Sora. Although, I have wondered if KH3 will start with someone other than him. I say that because in KH1, you sit through the intro and at the end of it all, Sora floats down onto that circular platform (Pictured with Snow White, I believe) and the game starts there. You go through a tutorial and choose the Sword, Staff or Shield.

In KH2, at the end of the intro, Roxas lands on his own circular platform, this time picturing Sora. So, for KH3, is there going to be a new KH wielder that you start with and what circular platform will he/she land on? or are they just going to get rid of that pattern for the roman numeral games?

To be fair, 2 does not denote a pattern.

Some of it is? Unless I missed an earlier interview.

I feel like I've heard this before, but I can't seem to find an interview that states it.

I did find this old one though which has a lot of good info: http://www.khinsider.com/news/Conversation-with-Creators-Tetsuya-Nomura-Interview-3449

Mariolee

Ah, I could've sworn he mentioned that the new saga would introduce a new hero. I'm probably mixing that up with introducing a new villain since this is after all the "Xehanort Saga". If they're going to keep using Sora, I wonder how long Haley Joel Osment will keep with it. He doesn't do much of anything anymore does he?

Aesthet1c

Is DDD worth playing or would I be better off looking up a plot synopsis?

I'm wondering this as well.. I adore KH 1 and 2, but couldn't get into the PSP or DS games. If DDD is part of the main plot and leads into KH3, maybe I should look into playing it.

doemaaan

To be fair, 2 does not denote a pattern.
Denote or not, I just wanna know if they'll have a new character float down onto a new platform. They did it twice already. I'm "expecting" a third time.

Ah, I could've sworn he mentioned that the new saga would introduce a new hero. I'm probably mixing that up with introducing a new villain since this is after all the "Xehanort Saga". If they're going to keep using Sora, I wonder how long Haley Joel Osment will keep with it. He doesn't do much of anything anymore does he?

Idk, but it'd be strange to hear someone else voice him.

EDIT:
Deleted that post, posting again

The 7 Keyblade weilders are
Roxas

How?

sn00zer

NEW PREVIEW?! ... oh wait...two sentences of info we already kind of knew ("This game is a sequel to the game before it") and no new screens...yep its a KH3/FF15 preview

Apeopleman

Denote or not, I just wanna know if they'll have a new character float down onto a new platform. They did it twice already. I'm "expecting" a third time.

Idk, but it'd be strange to hear someone else voice him.

EDIT:

How?

well considering this is Nomura, anything is possible. He can come back due to some gimmick. I mean, when a nobody and heartless are destroyed, the human comes back. So I could see Roxas coming back and co-existing with Sora. Just a theory.

Deleted that post, posting again

The 7 Keyblade weilders are
Sora

Riku

Kairi

Mickey

Ven or Roxas

Aqua

Terra ]
Terra(probably as Terra-Nort) is more likely to be on the darkness side since Xehanort is still in possession of his heart/body.

Also you forgot
Axel/Lea

doemaaan

well considering this is Nomura, anything is possible. He can come back due to some gimmick. I mean, when a nobody and heartless are destroyed, the human comes back. So I could see Roxas coming back and co-existing with Sora. Just a theory.

I must be missing something here. I haven't played DDD yet, but I did watch GT's KH Timeline and don't remember anything significant happening to him.
Disregarding Nomura and his creative storytelling powers, based off of what we know "now", I just don't see Roxas coming back, unless of course he somehow splits with Sora again (which would cut Sora's power in half, would it not?). And yes., indeed a human comes back when a heartless and nobody are destroyed, but in this case, Roxas IS the nobody. That rule doesn't benefit him at all.

botty

Banned
Isn't his weapons the chakrams?

Check out DDD, bro.

I must be missing something here. I haven't played DDD yet, but I did watch GT's KH Timeline and don't remember anything significant happening to him.
Disregarding Nomura and his creative storytelling powers, based off of what we know "now", I just don't see Roxas coming back, unless of course he somehow splits with Sora again (which would cut Sora's power in half, would it not?). And yes., indeed a human comes back when a heartless and nobody are destroyed, but in this case, Roxas IS the nobody. That rule doesn't benefit him at all.

Nomura retconned that shit up in DDD.

sn00zer

I assume that one of the younger Xehanort will move over to the side of light and Riku will at some point be consumed by darkness and switch to the darkside...

Jeels

the human comes back, not the nobody. roxas IS the nobody. sora is the human. hes already back...

Apeopleman

We shall see!
Check out DDD, bro.

Nomura retconned that shit up in DDD.

He gains a keyblade from nowhere at the very end of DDD

I didn't play DDD, so you both have an ideal theory.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
What's unjustified about hype for KH3?

That we know jack about it, it'll all change because it's a clusterfuck, and we're seeing it christmas 2015 if we're lucky.

Top Bottom