• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Game Completion Stats

Alienous

Medal of Honor 2K10: USA vs. The Taliban, did have some feels contained. None of which I felt, but I am sure they were there. Very condensed, also, so I can see the logic in the statistics.

Cryengine 2 ... is the first chapter just the boat section, or just the ass-flavored tutorial? The one where they manage a contextual excuse to stop you from discovering things outside of their schedule?

More people should have played the Bad Company campaign...

cormack12

Gold Member
Probably better to split it out a bit, either by year (to discern if it's a growing/shrinking trend) or by franchise title as it's a bit crowded on there.

I was actually going through my trophy list the other day to see this exact thing. I was just checking how rare trophies were from the beginning of the game to the standard game completed trophy. It's amazing the differences you see and just how many people mustn't finish games

Edit: great idea to gather this data by the OP but I agree that it needs to be better displayed

coldfoot

Banned
Make it a bar chart for each chapter with the games labeled by name. Way too many similar colors on this one to be readable.

I'm really sorry about that, no harm intended.

It's a lot of data.

I will try and think of a better way to visualise the data
Break it out into more graphs so there's fewer per image, and if you can, use lines with various shapes for each line to make them more visually distinguishable.

Grinchy

Banned
This is really cool, thanks. (Though it's very difficult to read, like others have already said. Many games have such similar colors that I can't even tell them apart)

And I'm going to go ahead and defend Unreal Tournament 3 for a moment since I have a soft spot for it. It got a trophy patch later on in its life. The single player was so bad that it would be shocking to think that anyone played through it again after its trophy patch came out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is very, very cool!

But yeah, you might want to spread the data into multiple charts or something, i can't discern the shades of green from eachother.

Steroyd

Chart looks inline when I was trophy looking days ago, it's usually within the 25-30% range of people completing games, should really seperate SP only games and games with an emphasis on MP (COD BF4 etc) to see if the trend changes.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Completion stats always make me wonder if games are simply too long.

Some of those are MP heavy, so SP completion is usually low. Couple that with relatively generic SP campaigns most of the time and it makes sense. Cutscene, few waves of enemies, new weapon or gadget acquired, cutscene, waves of enemies, new gadget, cutscene, revert to a basic weapon, enemies, cutscene, full weapons again, cutscene, fin.

What I would like to see more of is split SP/MP games and lower the cost. Not always needed to subsidize one with the other. I know they create the engines, maps and assets and are used in both, but I feel a more focused approach to both would lead to improvements in both, as they can react to a poor selling SP or MP individually. Then again I guess tracking behavior through trophy completion works the same way.

Completion stats always make me wonder if games are simply too long.

I'm thinking that the industry probably couldn't afford it if every single player actually beat all the game they bought. it means they will buy less games because there's not enough time to play the games. backlog are really part of gaming industry. :p

Parapraxis

You should put the spreadsheet up for download. I finish about 90% of the games I play. Only have 5 platinums though.
Kinda interested to see what my stats would look like.
Will do some charting, thanks for the sheet.

hayguyz

Banned
are you just calling story progression trophies "chapters"?

a lot of these don't have chapters, and the story trophies aren't always placed evenly throughout

Looking at rarity statistics for PS4 trophy's is fun too in a way. Knowing there are say ... 10% of people out there playing Res0gun who have not even thrown a human into a beam .. or 30% or whatever who have not even finished Level 2 in Res0gun is interesting.

Cool I can check trophy's on my Iphone Playstation app.

48.5% of people have completed Ceres which is lv. 2. 37.2% of people have completed stage 3. 20% of people have completed stage 5. Not bad really.

18.9% of people have completed all levels on any difficulty. 18.9% Rookie, 6.8% Experienced, only 3.9% on Veteran.

25.5% of people have completed Knack it looks like.

71.5% of people completed Journey and returned to the beginning ( wow )\

13.9% of players have completed memory sequence 13 in Assassins Creed 4 ( essentially the end )

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
When I was in my first economics class, they told us again and again and again: "label your X and Y axis."

What the fuck, graph?

I can't help but think that chart was made to torment those of us who are colorblind.
You put words to my bewilderment. I can't read this.

I also never like multiplayer conclusions being raised by looking at how many people never finished the campaign. Not without some way to measure if somebody has "finished" multiplayer. Both campaigns and multiplayer require investment, and its possibly to ditch out of either earlier than expected or without seeing all the content and modes.

sn00zer

You should probably normalize the x axis by dividing the chapter number/#of chapters for individual games, so you get a completion percentage instead of Chapter 1,2,3,etc.

EDIT: Also no reason to have large fancy points a simple tick mark will do

Parapraxis

Would it be possible poll ps gamers from GAF and make up a comparison shot of a few games?
(set up a PS account, add a bunch of us and compare?)

SighFight

I'm really sorry about that, no harm intended.

It's a lot of data.

I will try and think of a better way to visualise the data

Changing the marker shape (circle/cross/square) and the line style (dotted/dashed/solid) helps a big deal with limited colors. And try to avoid yellow ;)

Oh and by the way, Thanks for all the effort and great idea!

ignaciogc

i'm surprised the drop is not bigger...

it might be interesting to add other linear games, not just FPS, specially those that have only single player campaigns (or mostly)

examples:

- uncharted games
- god of war games
- dark souls / demons souls
- tomb raider
- assassin's creed games

Also, most sites that provide trophy cards have the "rarity" stat on trophies, so it would be easy to get the data for these (although I don't know if they only track users that they have created cards for)

Frillen

I always finish the Single Player no matter what, even in multiplayer heavy games like CoD and Battlefield.

I'm not color blind, but looking at that chart make my eyes bleed. Interesting info, although not surprising.

Trose

Neo Member
It always surprises me to hear about how few people ever actually finish a game. I honestly finish 95% of campaigns I start, but maybe I'm the weird one.

explodet

Trophy rarity reveals some interesting stats - at least interesting to a nerd like me.

COD Ghosts on the PS3: about 50% of the players have bothered to finish the prologue of the single player campaign.

Assassin's Creed 4 on the PS4: about 5% have played the multiplayer enough times to get the first trophy - which you get by purchasing a new ability and modifying your ability loadout. So, at least twice.

Dark Souls PS3: 5% have platinumed the game, compared to an average of about 2% (give or take, I can't remember any other specific game)

Grinchy

Banned
Trophy rarity reveals some interesting stats - at least interesting to a nerd like me.

COD Ghosts on the PS3: about 50% of the players have bothered to finish the prologue of the single player campaign.

Assassin's Creed 4 on the PS4: about 5% have played the multiplayer enough times to get the first trophy - which you get by purchasing a new ability and modifying your ability loadout. So, at least twice.

Dark Souls PS3: 5% have platinumed the game, compared to an average of about 2% (give or take, I can't remember any other specific game)

Yeah I love the trophy stats. It's not only fun to see how rare your own trophies are but it's pretty interesting to find out how few people ever finish something.

I was surprised by Dark Souls as well. For a difficult game and a pretty tough platinum grind, a large percent of people have it. I think Demon's Souls was at 2-3%, which is also relatively high for a difficult platinum.

danthefan

Way more readable now, good job. I have been playing through AC4 recently and was fairly surprised by some of the stats, like only a tiny number of people seem to have gotten all the Mayan thingies or beaten all the legendary ships.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if this changes with RPGs, since someone buying an RPG has to know exactly what they're in for.

Yeah I love the trophy stats. It's not only fun to see how rare your own trophies are but it's pretty interesting to find out how few people ever finish something.

I was surprised by Dark Souls as well. For a difficult game and a pretty tough platinum grind, a large percent of people have it. I think Demon's Souls was at 2-3%, which is also relatively high for a difficult platinum.

DS makes sense because the player base for that game is already going to be the super hardcore anyway.

I suspect that, with a lot of games, people just play the first chapter or two to grasp the basic gameplay mechanics and then hop right onto multiplayer for the rest of their time.

Top Bottom