• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player numbers pre/post Christmas

Not that we can extrapolate anything particularly meaningful out of these numbers but I noticed a couple last night and tonight vs pre-christmas. Does anyone have any other info to add?

Call of Duty:

PS4 Launch: 10k

Week leading up to xmas: 15-20k

Xmas eve: 28k

Xmas night: 42k

Tonight: 40k

Killzone:

PS4 Launch: Less than 1k

Week leading up to xmas: 1.5kish

xmas eve: 2k

xmas night: 2.1k

Cod Wii U numbers,

Before: around 1250-1500 on avg
After: 2200 right now

BF4stats.com is showing these numbers at the moment

PC

PS3

XBOX360

XBOXONE

PS4

Clyo28a.png

Just plain awful numbers for killzone. Anyone have any others? Xbox one/wii u?

Fracas

#fuckonami

PC

PS3

XBOX360

XBOXONE

PS4

SgtCobra

That must be one of the many wake up calls that GG need to realize that they must retire with the Killzone franchise, and I loved KZ2 dearly..

efeman

Banned
Poor Killzone. Possibly a case of focusing on an unnecessary single player?

I wonder how Battlefield is doing.

EDIT: Fracas got it.

I remember on Christmas Day there was over 50,000 on COD Ghosts.
Today 60,000 was the max I saw, which was in the morning I believe.

Hip Hop

Can anyone add Xbox One numbers to compare COD?

It's not the best comparison of all but It's likely the number one game on both platforms. Would be interesting.

That must be one of the many wake up calls that GG need to realize that they must retire with the Killzone franchise, and I loved KZ2 dearly..

The weird thing is that the game has sold very well (for a launch game). It will be the #1 1st party exclusive of the launch worldwide (Dead Rising 3 looks to take second). But people either aren't playing online or bought it and just didn't like it (which you see a lot of people here saying).

Personally I like it quite a bit... but it ain't no bf4.

djshauny

Banned
Not suprised at the Killzone numbers. Game looks pretty and everything but thats about it. I think Sony should abandon the Killzone series.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think a lot of people genuinely bought Killzone for the single player and because it's THE graphical showcase for PS4. I would bet a lot of Killzone owners also purchased COD or BF4 to get their online shooter fix.

I love KZ MP, but it was so stupid to launch Killzone at release of the console against CoD and Battlefield. The two biggest FPS franchises on the market.

Griss

No surprise with Killzone. Average player starts with SP then moves to multi. Many people I've seen online have traded the game in or put it up for sale after a third of the god-awful campaign.

The multi is much better, but is still utterly hamstrung by the bizarre lack of team chat and the fact that games devolve into turret / air turret spam, and that 33% of the time what's shooting you isn't another player.

Add it all up and it's no surprise that people are sticking with CoD or BF instead.

Tagyhag

That's why I love that GG still adds bots to their games (Something every MP game should have).

Even when their MP dies, you can still play it.

BibiMaghoo

I think many people like myself will have purchased Killzone with another shooter. The problem is that those other shooters are better. I cannot give it the time when I can play BF4 instead. It is that simple for me. I'll play it down the road I guess, so I hope it's online survives a little while.

No surprise with Killzone. Average player starts with SP then moves to multi. Many people I've seen online have traded the game in or put it up for sale after a third of the god-awful campaign.

The multi is much better, but is still utterly hamstrung by the bizarre lack of team chat and the fact that games devolve into turret / air turret spam, and that 33% of the time what's shooting you isn't another player.

Add it all up and it's no surprise that people are sticking with CoD or BF instead.

If that was true then few would be playing BF4, which had the worst SP fps campagin of all three games.

No idea what your talking about on the turret air spam, cause game really is not like that nor are they that effective. Chat was added recently too

PC

PS3

XBOX360

XBOXONE

PS4
Wow that shocks me. Followed it throughout Dec and both Sony platforms held the lead comfortably every time I looked. XB1 was the big gift under the Xmas tree this year in U.S.?

I love KZ MP, but it was so stupid to launch Killzone at release of the console against CoD and Battlefield. The two biggest FPS franchises on the market.

I agree with this. KZ MP may have more traction in like April or May when people are starting to tire of BF/CoD. Launching the same day hurts it. Like I said before, I like KZ... but I love BF4. So if im gonna play a shooter online, and I own all of them, KZ probably isn't the one Im choosing.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Game is really fun. People don't seem to learn how to play it though. They just want to play TDM as shown in the lobby player counts. I don't know that lack of game chat prior to recent patch made much difference as the player counts were this low at US and EU launch too. I've only seen a slight bump after X-mas.

Thats not everybody playing. You have to go into Browse Warzones. Theres 2500 playing right now.

The menus are horrendously designed and confusing.

Assuming its sold hundreds of thousands of copies that's still really bad. :(

I agree with this. KZ MP may have more traction in like April or May when people are starting to tire of BF/CoD. Launching the same day hurts it. Like I said before, I like KZ... but I love BF4. So if im gonna play a shooter online, and I own all of them, KZ probably isn't the one Im choosing.

It's also a much smaller franchise. KZ2 was the best selling of the franchise and I believe it did a little over 2 mil only, while COD and BF4 are franchises pulling in 10-15mil in sales. Even if the game was being sold without competition, it's not going to be pulling in the same numbers are the other shooters. The % of people playing MP for it's size of sales is about right compared to other games that have sold far more

Assuming its sold hundreds of thousands of copies that's still really bad. :(

Majority of people who buy shooters play the single player only and then toss the game, the numbers that have been tossed around for CoD for example in the past show that most people don't touch the MP.

Look at ghosts, it's sold several million already and even if you combine all the platforms, that's a huge chunk of players not touching multiplayer. KZ with a much smaller purchase base is of course gonna be smaller.

I can't even get on the EA servers to check out FIFA or Madden. So, yeah, today's numbers are pretty F'd. But the other numbers I listed in the OP are telling. Especially the doubling of CoD.

Shocker: A lot of kids got a PS4 or XB1 and CoD for xmas.

Mr Moose

When I checked CoD earlier tonight on my PS4 (about 9:30PM UK) there was a little over 65k online (65521 or something like that), it dropped to 58k shortly after that.

We should do this thread again in a few days when all the networks are sorted out. I mean when the eshop is down and steam is down on the same day you know shit is out of whack.

Again, not that I think these numbers mean anything... I wouldn't even really base my NPD predictions off them. But they are interesting for reasons that probably don't make much sense.

Top Bottom