• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plants vs. Zombies 2, Ver. 1.8: What all changed (for better or worse)

Earlier in December, PvZ2 was given a huge update that changed a lot of stuff with the game, but the explanation for these changes was very unclear. There wasn’t even a press release from Popcap even though this is one of the most substantial updates I’ve seen a game receive recently.

Having beat the original version of the game on Android (except for all the stars) and just now beating the updated version of the game, I thought I’d make a thread going through all of the changes I have noticed, which ones are good, and which ones are didn’t work so well.

Changes:
#1: No more keys (Great Change)
Keys were one of the biggest complaints with the original game and probably a big reason for this update. Originally you had to earn a certain number of keys to unlock new branches of the map in order to get new plants and upgrades. These keys were rare drops and were a very annoying progression barrier made even worse by the fact that it gives you the (very up front) option to BUY the keys.

The new update does away with the keys entirely, so there’s one less annoying monetization method. The only key I was given when I updated the game was to unlock the new world that is hinted to be “Coming Soon.”
Future World

#2+3: Completely new progression structure and no more stars (Some Good, but overall Bad Change)
This is a combo change since they tie together very closely.
Originally PvZ2 had a Mario 3 style map which I actually quite liked. There was the main path you followed, but also optional paths that let you unlock new plants and abilities. These alternate routes usually focused on a different gameplay gimmick some of which were good and some of which were bad. There were stages where you are assigned the plants you have to use and mini-game style stages where you might have to play a tile memorization puzzle to kill the zombies. My only complaint with this map style is that the keys originally locked away the side branches (with the keys removed I would have preferred they kept it as it was) and the new worlds were locked with a “Star Gate” (ha). In each main stage there were 3 stars for you to unlock which gave you specific challenges to overcome or rules you had to follow. Stars basically acted as additional challenges for each level, which were nice to have. What I (and many others) didn’t like was that you had to backtrack to get stars in order to unlock the next world (or pay to unlock the next world).

The update makes the game a completely straight line of 25-30 levels each world that you have to play through in a set order until you beat them. I guess this makes it easier to balance since the plant unlocks and upgrades are no longer optional. The problem I have with the new linear method is that I’m forced to play a lot of level types that I’d rather not. Most of the latter half of each world’s stages are the “protect these plants,” “don’t let the zombies cross this line,” etc. stages which were originally optional (outside of needing more stars to unlock the next world). What makes it worse is that if you get stuck on a level you can’t progress at all, which leads me to the next change…

#4: Increased difficulty (Good/Bad change)

The update made the game noticeably more challenging which I appreciated, but it can occasionally be too much. On one hand I like to think they were catering to the audience that is really good at PvZ already, but being realistic it feels more like an attempt to force you to use the coin purchasable “Cheat” powers. I played every level of the new update and I did manage to beat them all WITHOUT using those coin powers, but one of them took me at least a dozen tries before I found what I can only imagine was the one perfect solution that you have to use.
OK, I admit there was ONE other level that I used the coin power on because I made it all the way to the end and there was ONE SINGLE enemy left alive that was about to fail the mission
Also, many of these later levels have an immediate fail condition built into them, especially if zombie hits a lawnmower. The lawnmowers are there so you DON’T immediately fail a level, why would they make that a fail state if not to get you to use the coin powers (which flash when a zombie gets too close, ugh).

#5: Speed Up Button (Great change!)

Not much of a need to explain, they put in a button that makes the game run about 2-3 times faster. Great to use for slower early waves and when waiting to collect sunshine. Speaking of sunshine…

#6: Each sunshine you tap gives you 50 sun instead of the original 25 (? Change)

I honestly don’t know if this is a good or bad change, but it is a change. If someone knows if this is an upgrade you get over the course of the game, let me know, but I had this right when my game upgraded.
It could be that this was there to increase the speed of the matches, but I can’t confirm if the zombies come faster or in bigger waves (since I can’t play the original version anymore).

#7: Boss stages (Good change)

I was always a fan of the Gargantuans in the original game and I’m happy to see them return with a new level type in each stage. Basically it’s a harder than normal stage that builds up to have quite a few Gargantuan zombies coming at you.

What’s the same and still not good
#1: No second playthrough harder difficulty mode (NG+)
There is the endless mode which gives the game some longevity, but the original PvZ had a full second playthrough of the campaign with harder waves and it’s a shame that’s not in this game.

#2: Extremely overpriced (real money) plants and upgrades

The plants for the original game vary in price from $3-4 EACH and the same goes for upgrades like “additional seed slot” and “+1 plant food slot.” Between the plants and upgrades that makes 10 permanent DLC items you can buy which adds up to about $34 to own everything. The most I would ever pay for a bundle with ALL of the plants would be about $10. As they are, each of these plants and tiny upgrades are individually priced higher than most full mobile games that DON’T have microtransactions.

There should be a way to buy these upgrades and plants with in-game coins and the coins should be the only thing that’s monetized. That’s how the first game worked when they added in monetization and it did a great job of not getting in the way of the core game. Balanced properly that system would have worked very well for PvZ2 as well. People who wanted to rush a bit could have just bought some coins to get a plant they want, or be able to use more coin powers. People who didn’t could still enjoy a well-paced game.

#3: no zen garden
:(

Overall I still like the game. I think the plant food mechanic is a great change to the series and makes the matches a bit more engaging for the player. The new plants they added are a lot of fun and I actually don’t really miss any of the plants that are missing/sold as DLC (well, other than the Snow Peas and the Torchwood. Unsurprisingly the two most expensive plants to buy).

Let me know if there are any other updates I may have missed. I wish I hadn't updated the version of the game on my tablet so I could have compared and contrasted the two, but oh well.

i'm glad you posted this comprehensive list though. i've been watching my wife play for a few weeks now and we've been having a hard time putting into words why we aren't digging it.

the good news is that if they made such huge changes this quickly after the game released, then it's possible they'll address a lot of the leftover bad stuff too. i'm not expecting 100% perfect, but if they can knock out most of these turn offs i'll consider giving it a shot. (but probably wouldn't buy it, if released on console/vita)

Khaz

So I'm not the only one who liked the original level structure better. I've heard the argument that it made you go back to earlier levels with new twists to grind stars, but these levels are still in the new path, and now they are mandatory.

With the star system you could miss a few levels in each world and still carry on, now if you are stuck on a level, well you are stuck. Unless you spend money that is.

Berordn

So I'm not the only one who liked the original level structure better. I've heard the argument that it made you go back to earlier levels with new twists to grind stars, but these levels are still in the new path, and now they are mandatory.

With the star system you could miss a few levels in each world and still carry on, now if you are stuck on a level, well you are stuck. Unless you spend money that is.

I'd say they're both equally awful, really. They're both designed to wear you down and encourage you to spend money, just in different ways.

This game was the biggest disappointment of the year for me. These changes don't sound like they will change that but I'll give it another go.

I hate what EA does to companies I once loved :(

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Fixed that for ya.

Okay lemme test it:

EA is the worst thing to have happened to Popcap.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Bioware.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Bullfrog.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Pandemic.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Criterion.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Westwood Studios.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Visceral.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Dice.
EA is the worst thing to have happened to Maxis.

Yep. It's fixed.

...jesus!

Okay lemme test it:

Yep. It's fixed.

...jesus!

Fuck that's depressing.

Santiako

Okay lemme test it:

Yep. It's fixed.

...jesus!

Goddamnit EA

Iacobellis

Okay lemme test it:

Yep. It's fixed.

...jesus!

...And the chills run down my spine.

halfbeast

Banned
Okay lemme test it:

Yep. It's fixed.

...jesus!

you forgot one.

what__s_a_paladin_by_sariels_hope-d51s2gy.png

Without paying a cent, I earned the final star the day before this update was released. I had mixed feelings the next day when the game completely changed.

Without paying a cent, I earned the final star the day before this update was released. I had mixed feelings the next day when the game completely changed.

I never even had the chance to get all the stars before the update. I was looking forward to playing through them, but I guess I'll never be able to now. :\

Khaz

I never even had the chance to get all the stars before the update. I was looking forward to playing through them, but I guess I'll never be able to now. :\

The levels with the stars are still in the game, they are just streamlined along one single path instead of you wandering on a map of used spots. If you go to previous areas you should see some non-completed levels. That's them.

Mesoian

Overall it sounds better, but it's the backtracking that's the biggest problem here. It tears out a lot of what little polish was already in the game. The road progression wasn't the problem it was the stupidity behind how you progressed. They fixed the biggest problem, but went to far.

But making the game more difficult and providing more sun per piece is an interesting way to make the game more interesting and varied.

So good. It's still an improvement. It's stupid that the improvement needed to happen at all but, an improvement non-the-less.

epmode

you forgot one.

what__s_a_paladin_by_sariels_hope-d51s2gy.png

I'll add it for posterity:

EA is the worst thing to have happened to Origin.

What an awful company.

darkziosj

Okay lemme test it:

Yep. It's fixed.

...jesus!

But all those companies wanted EA money in exchange for their souls

Kieli

It's a complete and utter shame that PopCap switched to free-to-play with PvZ 2.

That's not to say that f2p is inherently bad, there are games that have implemented it in an unobtrusive manner (LoL, Vindictus). However, when a game is flashing an ad pop-up every third screen, has game-play elements locked behind a pay-wall, and has a suspicious increase in difficulty... there are no excuses.

I'd rather straight-up pay $20 than deal with this sort of nonsense, free-ness be damned.

-------

As an aside, before someone takes my "increase in difficulty" comment the wrong way, I want to acknowledge that challenging games are fine. However, I highly doubt that PopCap, of all developers, would suddenly amp the difficulty of PvZ 2 out of the kindness of their hearts or for consideration of veteran/returning players (side-effect, though it may be). No f2p game worth its salt will neglect mechanisms to push players towards purchasing in-app content unless it wants to tank (excluding outstanding exceptions like LoL or Dota).

mrpeabody

I never played the pre-update version, but the new version is a lot of fun. The difficulty is really well-balanced, and I don't feel forced into buying things. The later levels are right on the edge of "possible to complete without using a power". And if I need a power, I have plenty of coins saved up from playing.

It sounds like the old version was a lot more annoying, with stuff locked away.

The only misstep is how they handle those limited-plant levels. If you build that 16th plant, it's an instant game over. Why not just do it the player-friendly way, and prevent me from planting any once I have the max? It feels un-PopCap-like to make the player in charge of keeping track, and not the game.

On another note, were Bonk Choys in PvZ1? They just wreck face in this one.

Darte

I was fine pre-update. Not sure what everyones gripe was with farming keys and all since they dropped at a decent rate for me. Heck I just used key farming as an excuse to grind for coins.

Post update, I find myself surprised when I don't have to use powers on a level. Difficulty level has definitely been amped up and I am not liking how it is pushing me to use my coins...

All in all, I was looking forward to future world, now I'm just hoping I have enough coins to go through it...

The levels with the stars are still in the game, they are just streamlined along one single path instead of you wandering on a map of used spots. If you go to previous areas you should see some non-completed levels. That's them.

Oh, well that's good to hear.

I must have just missed those since it listed some of those as completed after I updated the game.

Nokterian

Okay lemme test it:

Yep. It's fixed.

...jesus!

Fucking hurst man..same goes to activision but goddamn EA slaughtered so mutch.

Top Bottom